Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help solving rear shifting problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 03:22 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts

I need your help in diagnosing and solving an issue with shifting in the rear cogs. First, after loosening the cable, I position the barrel adjuster to its most clockwise position. Then I assure that the pulleys are aligned under the smallest cog while on the largest chainring. Next I assure that the shifter is at the smallest cog position and the cable is at that position. Then I attach the cable to the rear derailleur by pulling it very tight and securing it with the bolt. The derailleur doesn't move the chain to the next smallest cog when I shift one click up. It takes more than one click of the shifter for the cable to pull the derailleur to the next cog. When I tighten the cable tension more with the barrel adjuster, it shifts up but won't shift back down. I can shift to all cogs except the largest (23), and the smallest (11). Both high and low gear limiting screws are set properly to allow derailleur movement to these cogs.

Help! I've invested much time trying to sought this out. I even bought a derailleur hanger tool thinking that perhaps the derailleur hanger was bent....it wasn't.

Components: Shimano 10 speed derailleurs and shifters.

Cassette: Shimano 11-23

Last edited by hrdknox1; 05-13-19 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 03:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Symptoms are classic for sticking/dirty cable/housing.
Replace the loop next to the RDER. That's usually the biggest contributor because it gets dirt on the cable and the severe bend wears the housing faster.
If you can afford 10 speed, you can afford decent cable & housing.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-13-19, 04:19 PM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Symptoms are classic for sticking/dirty cable/housing.
Replace the loop next to the RDER. That's usually the biggest contributor because it gets dirt on the cable and the severe bend wears the housing faster.
If you can afford 10 speed, you can afford decent cable & housing.
Thanks. I've replaced the housing at the rear derailleur....even shortened it a bit. In fact I've replaced all the housing and a new cable. Still having the same issue.
Old 05-13-19, 05:00 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Did you mix n match newer and older shimano 10 speed components or road and mtb. Its not all compatible.
Old 05-13-19, 09:25 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Ensure cable is routed through shifter and seated correctly and that housing isn’t binding up inside due to incorrect housing seating.

Check cable and housing is routing correctly to derailleur and derailleur pinch bolt.

Check for a kink in the cable near where it enters housing as that can cause binding. Lastly, clean and lube derailleur pivots.
Old 05-14-19, 06:22 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Make sure the shifter is in the correct position when you start.
So shift all the way down till there are no clicks. Then set the cable.
Old 05-14-19, 06:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Maybe back out the "H" screw a little, so the RD "overshoots" the smallest cog a bit. Not enough for the chain to fall off or anything, just a generous amount of overshoot. I have done this before with some limited success.

I suspect that sometimes when we think there's enough slack for the RD to drop the chain into the smallest cog, but in reality it's just short of what's needed to do that.
Old 05-14-19, 06:54 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
A trick to get the cable tension right is to manually shift the RD into the third highest gear, stop pedaling, and leave it there. Attach the cable hand tight, and pedal so it drops into high gear. That usually puts just the right amount of preload on the cable.

Other than that, the common fixes have been mentioned--slight misadjustment of limit screws, friction in the cable/housing, improper seating of a cable end, mismatch of components. Sometimes you get a crimped housing end that's hard to see.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-14-19, 06:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I believe you have both limit screws a bit too tight. Try backing both out about 1/4 turn and try again.
Old 05-14-19, 07:30 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
A trick to get the cable tension right is to manually shift the RD into the third highest gear, stop pedaling, and leave it there. Attach the cable hand tight, and pedal so it drops into high gear. That usually puts just the right amount of preload on the cable.
VERY helpful.
Thanks
Old 05-14-19, 06:05 PM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Maybe back out the "H" screw a little, so the RD "overshoots" the smallest cog a bit. Not enough for the chain to fall off or anything, just a generous amount of overshoot. I have done this before with some limited success.

I suspect that sometimes when we think there's enough slack for the RD to drop the chain into the smallest cog, but in reality it's just short of what's needed to do that.
Seems that adjusting the "H" screw a bit to where the chain overshoots the smallest cog got the chain to drop to the smallest cog. Then a bit more tension with the barrel adjuster got it to go on the largest cog. Shifting is still not perfect, but much better than before.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-23-19, 11:44 AM
hrdknox1

Other than that, the common fixes have been mentioned--slight misadjustment of limit screws, friction in the cable/housing, improper seating of a cable end, mismatch of components. Sometimes you get a crimped housing end that's hard to see.
Very Good Trick. After employing this, the shifting is much better and satisfactory. My OCD will continue to have me making minor adjustments until shifting is 100% spot on.
Old 05-26-19, 01:10 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A trick to get the cable tension right is to manually shift the RD into the third highest gear, stop pedaling, and leave it there. Attach the cable hand tight, and pedal so it drops into high gear. That usually puts just the right amount of preload on the cable
I woke at 4:50am, read this post and just had to try your little trick. I was sleepy, half brained, but it worked, Great little tip! Kudos to you, sir.
Old 05-28-19, 10:44 AM
hrdknox1

Problem solved. I lengthened the cable loop at the derailleur. It is quite a big loop, but the shifting is now ideal.
Old 05-28-19, 12:19 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
That loop is a bit larger than I would have thought necessary, but if it works you can't argue with success
Old 05-29-19, 08:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Too long. Is that 5mm brake housing or 4mm shifter housing.
Old 06-02-19, 07:14 PM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by trailangel
Too long. Is that 5mm brake housing or 4mm shifter housing.
I have shortened it, and shifting is still good. I had it extra long just to see if length was the issue.