Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What do you do to be safe while riding?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-11-19, 08:27 AM
hunterbw

Bikes: road and gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Inspired by the "How do you ride" thread, I am wondering what people do to be safe while riding?
I know there are lots of different ideas about what keeps us safe or makes us feel safe, and lots of different specific conditions that we ride in.
I am hoping that this is less a debate about what one "should" do and more just an archive of what we do.

Do you wear certain colors? Do you run lights all the time or just in the dark? Do you feel safer on a road with less traffic and no shoulder, or more traffic but with a shoulder?
Do you think about safety and do different things if you are commuting to work, or riding a trail, or riding alone or in a group on the road. Do you ride in urban locations, or rural locations? What sort of safety concerns and solutions do you have for these different places? ETC.

Please share your collective experience.

Old 06-11-19, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterbw
Inspired by the "How do you ride" thread, I am wondering what people do to be safe while riding?
I know there are lots of different ideas about what keeps us safe or makes us feel safe, and lots of different specific conditions that we ride in.
I am hoping that this is less a debate about what one "should" do and more just an archive of what we do.

Do you wear certain colors? Do you run lights all the time or just in the dark? Do you feel safer on a road with less traffic and no shoulder, or more traffic but with a shoulder?
Do you think about safety and do different things if you are commuting to work, or riding a trail, or riding alone or in a group on the road. Do you ride in urban locations, or rural locations? What sort of safety concerns and solutions do you have for these different places? ETC.

I wear bright yellow or orange shirts, some reflective some not. I always wear a helmet. I don't run lights during the day unless there is fog or something similar, I ride in both urban and rural areas, and find that the differences are primarily more of "rhythm" than technique--urban riding involves way more checking of intersections, thus max safe speeds tend to be lower, I think light traffic and no shoulder can be a death trap if the road is winding as drivers often plow around curves on those as if there's no chance they're going to encounter anyone.

I never wear headphones while riding because I think hearing is an essential safety device, especially in rural areas. While I realize that hearing isn't always enough to know what's behind you, that's not a good reason for negating it entirely.

Depending on the actual layout of the street, I find that riding on busy streets is often safer and more efficient than near-empty side roads. The pavement is often better, there are fewer stop signs, often fewer intersections, and very often more room on the right. Also, a lot of the main roads are free of parked vehicles.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-11-19, 09:06 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
1. High-vis (ugly screaming fluorescent yellow) jersey.
2. Viara Radar
3. Head-light and tail-light even during daylight hours
4. Keep bike in working order
5. No music/phone/distractions
6. Try not to do anything unpredictable/stupid
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-11-19, 09:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterbw

As a lifestyle cyclist for decades (year round urban commuting, road cycling, touring) I frequently post about my safety mindset:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So often on these threads about calamities or near misses, I post about my mindset that I believe gives me that extra edge.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is"organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as “Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface

…I was hit from behind by a “distracted” (? inebriated) hit and run driver on an otherwise seemingly safe and peaceful route. By good fortune, I’m alive and relatively unimpaired.

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [see the link]:

Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
In addition, a rear view mirror is a paramount safety item.
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones...The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful:

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-11-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-11-19, 09:46 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
˄˄˄˄
From a now-closed thread:
Originally Posted by jim from boston
in the past i have offered imo several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. they are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.
Originally Posted by stun
my experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. the best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you

the exception here would also be jim from boston--anyone that can successfully commute around boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
Originally Posted by chefisaac
listen to @jim from boston

he knows his $hit!
Old 06-11-19, 10:38 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Front and Rear lights at all time, both flashing unless in a group. (don't want to cause any seizures) Light colored gloves for better signals. Mostly, ride predictably, and most importantly 'learn something on every ride.'

In every close call, either with a car, another rider, or road hazard, or animal, ask "What I could have done differently to avoid?" The answers include: Position on the road, Speed, unclip or clip-in sooner/later, braking/gearing, signal better, even wave and smile more.
Old 06-11-19, 10:58 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
I follow the suggestions provided in Smart Cycling videos provided by League of American Bicyclists. Not in a position to provide link but should be easy to find on the Leagues website
Old 06-11-19, 11:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
tell ppl where I'm riding & when I reach milestones, such parking lots, destinations, turn-arounds, & when I'm safe back at my car, or back at home if they are not present when I get there. when I go far away I leave a paper note with an address good for a GPS including my start stop points
Old 06-11-19, 12:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have a Hotshot Pro 150 taillight, I wear a helmet, and most importantly: I pay attention. Situational awareness is more important than anything else.
Old 06-11-19, 01:10 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Choose routes wisely. Away from from cars, if possible. With well designed bike lanes, if possible.
Old 06-11-19, 01:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I pay attention. Situational awareness is more important than anything else.
This.
Old 06-11-19, 02:00 PM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bright clothes. Lights in any lowlight situation. Have been run into from behind despite doing this, just can't help stupid. Route selection and willing to change routes if one gets dangerous, which happens during road construction season even if the construction is miles away. On narrow roads with no shoulder I'll take the lane if there's oncoming traffic. As soon as the car(s) go by I slide over and wave to the cars coming up from behind. Often in my morning commutes I have these drivers wave back, and with the whole hand not just one finger. I live in a train town so getting trained is common. If I'm more than a few cars back I'll ride up to the gate and dismount, when the gate goes up I sit and wait for the traffic to clear. I've had some appreciative drivers because of it which is nice, especially if they happen to be sitting in a dump truck.
Old 06-11-19, 10:21 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I wear cycling gloves.

I do not ride on roads.
Old 06-12-19, 01:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
I've taken to running my rear light during certain daytime situations when I am touring. Can only offer anecdotes, but it seems to earn me wider passes when there is no shoulder.
Old 06-12-19, 02:18 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Lights if the light is low. Always wear a helmet and I recently got a helmet-mounted mirror. No headphones. I wear bright colors most of the time.

I live in a fairly rural part of suburbia so I'm relatively comfortable on our local roads. Drivers do seem to be aware that there are cyclists on the road and give me a pretty wide berth. My mother tried to make me promise to only ride on bike paths, but I can't do that so I refused to promise. I'm a full-grown adult, but mothers never stop worrying, I guess.

I do love the MUPs, but to get to one of any decent length, I have to drive about an hour. Unless I have most of the day available for the ride, I can't use them.
Old 06-12-19, 02:29 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
Here are the steps I take to promote safety:

-- wear high viz or other bright shirts or vest
-- wear a helmet
-- wear fingerless cycling gloves - you may think these are not safety items, don't try to tell my palms that!
-- use bright red flashing tail lights - two in case one fails during a ride - all times, day and night
-- use flashing headlight days (except when there is BRIGHT sunlight) and steady headlight when cloudy or at dusk or night
-- ride in the right lane, in the right half of the lane
-- use a rear view mirror and check it fairly often, to avoid surprises
-- stay aware - no distractions - no music or ear buds
-- wear cycling glasses to avoid being struck in the eye by road debris or insects, etc.
-- do most of my riding in light traffic areas (back country roads) or greenways or bike trails
Likes For Rje58:
Old 06-12-19, 05:14 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Maintain situational awareness.
Never pass cars on the right near an intersection or some type of entrance such as a parking lot or driveway.
Run quality lights all the time.
Avoid getting in situations where whether I'm in the right or not that potentially will piss of motorist.
Keep my head up.
Old 06-13-19, 06:35 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Vehicle awareness.
I don't ride bike lanes or MUPs, just on the road. Most of my travels are commutes with the same cars every day.
  • If I can stay in the flow of traffic, I take the lane.
  • At stop lights or signs, I take the lane.
  • I never pass a car on the right at an intersection.
  • If I sense a car behind me and it is a winding road, I work with them to help them clear me. Most are appreciative.
Old 06-13-19, 08:25 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 937 Posts
The only thing I can add is I assume no one sees me, or is distracted by their cell phone texting. I frequently yell out, "Bike, bike, bike" if I believe a motorist will merge into me or is driving recklessly.

Motorists as a whole are lazy and will not turn their heads to see if a lane is clear before merging. They instead will rely only on their side mirrors.
Old 06-13-19, 09:05 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Bright colored clothes, as well as a bright yellow tailbag.

I ride a recumbent, which makes it a little harder to look back than an upright, so I have a good mirror. More importantly, I use the mirror and watch traffic coming up behind as well as what's ahead of me.

I have an Airzound horn, for all the drivers who aren't paying attention. It's probably saved me from at least a few incidents over the years.

Three bright tail lights, two flashing and one in steady mode, in all low light conditions (and I commuter year round, weather allowing).

Mostly, though, just paying attention to the drivers, road, and conditions.

I'm getting a velomobile this weekend, and I'm very curious to see how the local drivers react when I start commuting in it. It's got a good working horn, good lights (high beam and low beam, as well as flash mode), turn signals, and a brake light. I'm mostly curious to see if the drivers will notice the turn signals, as they seem to be pretty good about it when I stick my arm out.
Old 06-13-19, 09:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
How about a slightly different take on this--safety measures we don't take. I'll start:

I don't have lights on in normal daylight conditions.

I usually don't wear gloves.

While I generally signal left turns or shifts to a right lane, I do not signal right turns when I'm FRAP and I never try to signal stops.
Old 06-13-19, 01:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
How about a slightly different take on this--safety measures we don't take. I'll start:

I don't have lights on in normal daylight conditions.

I usually don't wear gloves.

While I generally signal left turns or shifts to a right lane, I do not signal right turns when I'm FRAP and I never try to signal stops.
Don't take all of the above alleged "safety features", plus:
  • I don't wear a helmet, nor a mouth guard, nor hip/shoulder/knee pads when riding a bicycle;
  • I am not dogmatic about either "taking the lane" or not "taking the lane", same lack of rigidity applies to use or non-use of available bike lanes;
  • I don't inform friends or relatives of my every movement by bicycle so they can track its progress and/or my safe arrival through GPS technology;
  • I don't video record my rides or the nearby traffic;
  • I don't forego listening to audiobooks or music for the alleged "safety feature" of listening to traffic noise;
  • I don't have a conniption and get hysterical with fear about my safety if I see a driver or a bicyclist holding a cell phone next to their ear.
Old 06-13-19, 01:32 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I used to go out on rides without telling anyone where I was going, but have been haunted by stories of people who got in serious trouble that way. So I've gotten in the habit of telling someone where I'm going, as well as sending my location from the Wahoo.
Old 06-13-19, 01:44 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Like some others that have posted here, I don't ride on "get somewhere" public roads much, if at all any more. I ride MUP/cart path 95% of the time. There is a park nearby with a dead end road that leads to it. Very lightly travelled. On a very seldom occasion I will ride just outside my own neighborhood.
Bright shirt, flashing rear light any time I am on the road. When I rode in groups I wore a helmet all the time, but admittedly have gotten lax about doing so.
Mostly I just ride the paths and keep my speed down. As of late I ride much more for the enjoyment of it than any real exercise I am getting from it. My weight shows it.
Old 06-13-19, 06:05 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Protection
  • Helmet : i never ride without it : it protected my brain once.
  • Cycling Glasses : they are essential to protect the eyes from dust and insects
  • Anti-Pollution Mask : it protects well the lungs when riding on busy roads (80% of my commute)
  • Cycling Gloves : most of the times i wear them because the dampen vibrations and they protected my hands twice when i was cornering too fast.
Visibilty
  • 2 blinking rear lights, lately i started using them during daytime too and similarly to @indyfabz, i guess car drivers become more considerate when passing.
  • Headlight, i put it on at night in blinking mode when riding among cars and steady on empty streets.
  • reflective band for each ankle, good visibility especially at night.
  • reflective band on the left wrist to signal left turns
  • sometimes i wear a high visibility jacket
Behaviour :
  • always respect traffic code
  • be predictable ( signal turns and lane changes )
  • be confident ( having a drivers licence can be helpful )
  • take the lane if it's safer to take the lane ( vehicular cycling )
  • be courteous ( even when explaining how they almost killed you )
  • don't take it personnally ( especially when they honk at you )
  • i put only one earbud in my right ear to pick phone calls and i avoid listening to music
  • i generally prefer longer (and slower) but less busy routes to spare my lungs and avoid unnecessary stress

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.