Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 07-03-19, 12:54 AM
Ultralight
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Check out this video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscD...ature=youtu.be

Nice capability with a rigid and overbuilt frame.
Old 07-03-19, 03:16 AM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We may have different perception on what is the most compelling part of the Helix. For me, it's the fold... the small and elegant fold it pulls off while still having 24" tires. If it were in steel I'd still be impressed. The Helix fold truly is amazing.

The titanium part that wows people is the low price (for a titanium bike) as much as the titanium (and it's weight savings) itself.

The latest report is 80 bikes shipped as of July 2. The earlier report we had (from backers reporting on this forum) was 65 bikes as of June 10. That's 5 bikes a week... 20 a month. That doesn't bode well for anyone with future hopes of ordering one.
Old 07-03-19, 10:21 AM
Ultralight
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The pace will accelerate and there are some already below the delivered number that have traded hands (I know of two). Helix gave a fantastic update a few days ago as to production bottleneck and the process in slowly solving each of the bottle neck. Some people's needs and plans change after 3 years of waiting though the report coming out from owners has been excellent thus far so I know a couple who changed their mind and kept their order.

Last edited by Ultralight; 07-03-19 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 11:54 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I get that folks like the bike for the design, not just the titanium. My point above is also about the idea that you can just switch materials this far into the process and somehow boost production beyond what is being done currently. Even if this project Kickstarted with a cheaper material, the production issues would probably still be there. Perfectionists can't help themselves.
Old 07-07-19, 11:46 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Moving from titanium to aluminum or steel is a complete redesign of the bike.

For the price, aluminum would provide big savings but the bike will probably be very different I doubt that the folding system can be implemented in aluminum).

Steel cover a lot of different alloy from very cheap to as expensive as titanium. The best steel could be as light as titanium but will probably be as expensive.

Weight is also very important for a folding bike it was one of the big selling feature during the kickstarter campaign.

And we have seen that with the complex design of Helix and its big wheels, even in titanium,Helix is much heavier that announced and that it is already relatively heavy.

If changing to aluminum or steel increase the weight, then weight will become a major drawback for Helix.
Old 07-08-19, 05:59 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight
Check out this video review:

Nice capability with a rigid and overbuilt frame.
Nice video review. BTW, I have the same helmet! Unfortunately, I'm a ways down on the wait list so until then, I'll enjoy the experience as I vicariously follow along with your rides.
Old 07-24-19, 12:09 AM
niels360

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is interested in selling their Helix or waiting list spot, see my thread in the Marketplace of this website...

https://www.bikeforums.net/want-buy/...-foldable.html
Old 07-29-19, 10:38 AM
Bikestyle
Banned

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Ultraline or anyone within the 100s to 300s willing to trade their Helix, I will be happy to take it up? Please let me know. Cheers!
Originally Posted by Ultralight
The pace will accelerate and there are some already below the delivered number that have traded hands (I know of two). Helix gave a fantastic update a few days ago as to production bottleneck and the process in slowly solving each of the bottle neck. Some people's needs and plans change after 3 years of waiting though the report coming out from owners has been excellent thus far so I know a couple who changed their mind and kept their order.
Old 08-04-19, 10:32 PM
davidhunternyc

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have not replied to this topic too much but I have been reading this thread since day one and watched the Helix early on Kickstarter. Since the inception of the Helix, are there other folding bikes either at the design or engineering stage that are as compelling as the Helix? It would seem to me there would’ve been someone that could have seen the Helix and have an ah-ha moment to design their own bike. For instance, imagine if Elon Musk took on the challenge of building a folding bike with the directive that it would have to be human powered without electricity.
Old 08-08-19, 12:41 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
What's the latest update? What number are we up to on the production line?
Old 08-09-19, 03:45 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by davidhunternyc
I have not replied to this topic too much but I have been reading this thread since day one and watched the Helix early on Kickstarter. Since the inception of the Helix, are there other folding bikes either at the design or engineering stage that are as compelling as the Helix? It would seem to me there would’ve been someone that could have seen the Helix and have an ah-ha moment to design their own bike. For instance, imagine if Elon Musk took on the challenge of building a folding bike with the directive that it would have to be human powered without electricity.
No, there was as far as I know no comparable new folder announced.

I think that there are two reasons for that:
- the success of Helix on Kickstarter came mainly from its price, not from its specifications, and matching the price of Helix on Kickstarter is probably impossible.
- since the launch of Helix, the interest for not assisted folders diminish, the marked is now looking for a lightweight electric assist folder. As we have seen with the first delivered Helix, the design of Helix is not optimal to obtain a lightweight bike.
Old 08-09-19, 10:09 AM
SurfHenk

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not easy to copycat..

Originally Posted by Jipe
No, there was as far as I know no comparable new folder announced.

I think that there are two reasons for that:
- the success of Helix on Kickstarter came mainly from its price, not from its specifications, and matching the price of Helix on Kickstarter is probably impossible.
- since the launch of Helix, the interest for not assisted folders diminish, the marked is now looking for a lightweight electric assist folder. As we have seen with the first delivered Helix, the design of Helix is not optimal to obtain a lightweight bike.
As I see it, the main reason that no comparable folder has been announced is the complexity. If the Helix project has shown one thing, it is that this design requires a high amount of very precise parts in order to work/fold within specifications. A few tens of bikes are out in the wild now, yet it still is not easy to ramp up the production.
Personally I think the design is brilliant and the bike looks great. Whether it delivers in the real world I will be able to tell soon as my bikes are on their way to me. But I certainly do hope so and I do wish that Helix can become a sustainable business. And again, personally I am convinced the design can not easily be mimicked due to its complexity and high amount of precision parts and manufacturing capabilities needed. This is not something you easily and quickly copy..
Old 08-10-19, 11:31 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Has the luggage issue been solved yet? I haven't kept up with all this recently, but last I looked the bike seemed not set up well for bags.
Old 08-10-19, 10:06 PM
Pine Cone

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I sold my Helix pledge at the end of July. At that time Peter was still struggling to increase production and there had been no mention of Helix-specific accessories like fenders and racks in the last year.

The good news is that he has hired some new employees and upgraded some machinery which should help speed up production. It was unclear as of the beginning of August if the 100th Helix had been produced yet.

I wish Peter and Team Helix the best of luck, but they have been unable to produce one completed bicycle a day in 2019. They need to increase production 15X to 20X in order to ship all of the Kickstarter and pre-order bikes before the end of 2019. That will be a challenge.
Old 08-11-19, 07:11 AM
SurfHenk

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Has the luggage issue been solved yet? I haven't kept up with all this recently, but last I looked the bike seemed not set up well for bags.
Hi Remi,

I am not sure what exactly you mean with the "luggage issue", but I'll try to provide you with my take on this.
As it stands, the bike can be combined with a few luggage options, such as handlebar and seatpost bikepacking bags. That's what I plan to use initially. A bikepacking bag for the main frame indeed will not fit, at least not the models I have encountered upto now, including smaller ones..
Another option I guess would be to make use of a rear rack that attaches to the seatpost with a QR, several brands offer these.
I have a Tailfin rear rack on order, which is attached with the help of a special rear wheel axle. This rack will be used in combination with my other bikes, but I do plan to try and use it with the Helix too. For this to work, I will have to find a solution that does not involve the rear axle as the Helix axle is very particular to allow for the wheels locking together when folded.
And lastly, Helix has shown drawings of an adapter to allow for front luggage mounting. I really hope this adapter is brought to market quickly but for the moment there is no further news about it...
Old 08-17-19, 03:43 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

You answered my question about the luggage issue. The bike needs something like the front blocks Brompton, Dahon and Tern use to mount bags if they're going to compete with those brands. Now that actual bikes exist I'm curious to snag one someday, but it's got to have a dedicated system I can pop off when I get home from the store and fold the bike. A seatpost mounted rack ain't gonna cut it.
Old 08-17-19, 04:21 AM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just cannot believe no one has yet made a pop off-able seat post mounter rack.

At the moment I'm more amused that all the discussion of will they won't they morphed into how much can they...

It seems to me like it's going to be as long before a true market bike (not back log mind you) as it has taken to produce #1 .

I'm not being restless, but my excitement is now really waning off. My comparatively less enticing, more bulky, slightly heavier Tern seems more and more like the best option still.
Old 08-18-19, 02:48 AM
Joe Remi

That's always been the ultimate debit against this bike: it just doesn't seem to fill a need that isn't already being filled by a bike you can buy today. The fold is neat I guess, but the weight savings expected from titanium aren't there and it doesn't even carry luggage like its competitors can. I personally think Helix is kinda cool, but it doesn't make much sense.
Old 08-18-19, 09:02 PM
dmnobrien

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Rans Rocket, Cruzbike Quest

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
> it just doesn't seem to fill a need that isn't already being filled by a bike you can buy today

Small fold, big wheels, looks/rides more like a conventional bike (presumably).

That's the need I see. That's why I still want to get one. My Dahon should last me until the Helix folks can sell to the public or they go bust.

In the latter case, would be interesting to see if a Dahon or Brompton (or similarly established bike maker) would buy the rights and then figure out how to produce it in decent quantities for a decent price.
Old 08-18-19, 09:47 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dmnobrien
My Dahon should last me until the Helix folks can sell to the public or they go bust.

In the latter case, would be interesting to see if a Dahon or Brompton (or similarly established bike maker) would buy the rights and then figure out how to produce it in decent quantities for a decent price.
In the end, the bike needs to bring in a profit. When it is too complicated to make it manufacturable at a price that people can and are willing to pay for what it may provide, the regular production will never happen.

As another comment, Brompton's important base is in the city of London, where at times it seems that half of all bikes in the streets are Bromptons. Their advantage is in the fact that you can carry them inconspicuously during rush hours on the train. I doubt anybody would be interested in such circumstances in larger folded bikes, even if they rode more like full size bikes when unfolded.
Old 08-20-19, 08:39 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
As another comment, Brompton's important base is in the city of London, where at times it seems that half of all bikes in the streets are Bromptons. Their advantage is in the fact that you can carry them inconspicuously during rush hours on the train. I doubt anybody would be interested in such circumstances in larger folded bikes, even if they rode more like full size bikes when unfolded.
Good thing there are more places in the world than London.
Old 08-24-19, 06:56 AM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
The good news is that he has hired some new employees and upgraded some machinery which should help speed up production. It was unclear as of the beginning of August if the 100th Helix had been produced yet.
Any updates on Helix production? I'm cheering for this mission to succeed.
Old 08-26-19, 09:10 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by towndock
Any updates on Helix production? I'm cheering for this mission to succeed.
To date, 110 bikes have been delivered with another 50 assembled and awaiting steerers. Peter continues to streamline production and hopes to achieve higher numbers by September. Several new tire options were revealed and Peter will be gauging owners’ opinions via the portal.

The next update will be in three weeks with revised delivery dates and an update on accessories.
Old 08-29-19, 03:22 PM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So based on these figures and given that as of July 2nd the rate was 5 bikes a week. At the moment the rate is closer to 10 bikes a week.

If he seriously picks up this could be good.

Bearing in mind that procedures/training/methods are probably still deep in the learning curve.
Old 08-31-19, 01:42 AM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Latest update

Three latest update is 110 bikes produced, 3 bikes a day and improving.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.