Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Style Handlebar Angle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Style Handlebar Angle

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 07:34 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
Hmm...it seems more to me that those unattractive bar and lever angles, as seen in your photos, are compensating for an otherwise poor fit. If the frame size, stem length, bar size, etc. are proper, one should be perfectly comfortable and have the best ergonomic angles of back, shoulders, arms and wrists when his bars/levers are positioned and angled close to the typical "pro" fashion. If you need to change those angles, then the frame or stem is probably the wrong size.
Where is that ignore button, found it!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-04-16, 09:21 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by daf1009
I literally had to laugh out loud at this thread...there are "standards" of how to set up the handlebars? Standards for how to set up the seat?
Of course there are, what about this surprises you? There are also standards for how to build a wheel, how to adjust a hub, etc etc, etc. I only posted this thread because a lot of people do not seem to be aware of them.

Originally Posted by daf1009
Etc., etc., etc...OK, I acquiesce on the "racing" side...I have never been a racer, never aspired to race and never will race...so I will leave that alone!
Well then there's no need to set up your handlebars race style.
Old 01-04-16, 09:41 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I was going to post a pic or two, to show my preferences...but I'll simply refer to Chas's post # 22. Looks good to me.
Old 01-04-16, 09:46 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
You know, there are rules for this.
Too funny. Thanks for that. I must be a curmudgeon as I find myself agreeing with most of those rules.
Old 01-04-16, 09:47 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by seboros
Me, on the contrary, I like the drops to be parallel to the ground/top tube. Any other way and a new angle appears, that clutters the simplicity and elegance of a classic frame.
Understood. My vision is similar in that I like the implicity and elegance of the ramps as a linear extension of the stem.
Old 01-04-16, 09:56 AM
Fidbloke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Hmm. I've always put my ramps horizontal, i.e. parallel to the stem. It puts the brakes in a good place for riding and braking. (I ride the hoods a lot.) But I also like the appearance. To my eyes a bike with drops parallel to the ground looks, shall we say, droopy-nosed. I hate that look.

There is another benefit from angled drops, at least for me. When I don't ride them very often but when I do my arms and hands are perpendicular to what I am holding. With horizontal drops my hands would be leaning forward into the things I'm trying to hold. So my hands would tend to slide forward more easily, requiring me to grip them more tightly.
I'd agree with you on that. I'm not keen on the 'Droopy' look either, and also find it more comfortable to hold flat ramps, rather than flat drops...
Old 01-04-16, 10:04 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I roll the drops downward (bars back) just a tad. Levers are set forward enough to give proper fit when on the hoods.
Old 01-04-16, 11:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
My guidelines comes from training I received from the estimable Gaylen ("Lenny") Preheim from Toga Bike Shop, may he rest in peace. His orientation was towards Italian racing bikes. He noticed that all pictures from Italy of racing bikes showed tips of the brake levers dropping slightly BELOW the plain formed by the bottom of the bar. The drops would range from (1) parallel to the ground through (2) pointing towards the rear axle. This is a good example:

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-04-16, 02:00 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
"You know, there are rules for this."

For me the primary rule is comfort. I want a riding position that is sustainable for hours in the saddle. I like to take my older bikes on brevets and double centuries so a comfortable riding position is very important. If what you ride is mainly 30 mile club rides which can be a pretty sporty pace then comfort is less important and speed is more so. Rules for what is correct depends entirely on what you are doing!

Having said that, I agree with rootboy that the bikes pictured in post #22 look about right to me, and very similar to how I set my bars and levers.

Originally Posted by rootboy
I was going to post a pic or two, to show my preferences...but I'll simply refer to Chas's post # 22. Looks good to me.
Also, remember that it is a rule that all rules have exceptions!
Old 01-04-16, 02:42 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
++++ 1

You're supposed to wear size 42 shoes and they have to be narrow to be a REAL cyclist! I don't care if your feet are 10 1/2 EEE! ...

...I ride with my bars pointed downward at 5° to 10° with the levers near the tops of the bends. The angle depends on the frame size.

I like my wrists to be comfortably parallel to the tops of my forearms so I adjust the angle to where the bar is comfortable FOR ME!

verktyg

Chas.
Chas, is the wrist angle you mentioned referring to the straight portion of the drops?

I can see the value in gripping a straighter part of the bar, versus the curved part, while supporting weight. That's why I like Anatomic bends, it's more comfortable on my palms, while setting the bar at it's intended angle, since the drops have that sharp bend a couple of inches from the end.

And so funny about the shoe dimensions. The big reason I don't even consider using vintage pedals is because I could never find wide shoes to make it all work comfortably for me. That and the safety improvement of clipless.

Last edited by dddd; 01-04-16 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 03:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I really thought I read that Schwinn wanted it's bar ends to point to the rear hub.

I don't doubt your guideline, but there were a lot of different style drops thru the 70s and 80s and what. You posted wouldn't apply. Full C bend are great for me since both the ramps and drops are level. That's just one of the designs.
A lot of shops would rtotate the bar so that the end of the bar pointed towards the rear axle. The reason for that was just seasthetics. We'd adjust the bar for the customer to try.

Cheers
Old 01-04-16, 03:56 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
One nice feature of the early Phillips handlebars was a very elegant bend that kept the long flats behind the brake levers parallel to the drops. Do you think perhaps they knew something about comfort back then? One can see why they were popular, along with randonneur handlebars, for long distance riding. I have two bikes with the V.O. Grand Cru rando bars, easily the most comfortable type I have used.
Old 01-04-16, 05:15 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Chas' examples look close to the way I like my bars and levers, although I can't figure out what he means by "parallel to the tops of my forearms".
Old 01-04-16, 05:41 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
It depends a lot on the bar and levers shape IMO.
Old 01-04-16, 07:00 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Schwinn instructed dealers to set the drops at a 15° angle when assembling new bikes. The idea is to keep the wrists straight when riding the drops with the elbows slightly bent. This prevents numbness of the hands from poor circulation that occurs when the wrists are angled. Obviously, the 15° drops angle gets changed depending on the riding position, arm length, and other variables to suit the rider.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 01-04-16, 07:22 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Bar position was always subjective to each rider. Sure there would be a general opinion on what might be correct, but as long as the cyclist does not use the bars and levers totally contrary to the intended purpose design (such as flipping the bars and levers to "hobo" configuration, which can be quite unsafe, IMO), the rider is free to angle their bars any way they want to, off parallel to the ground....,What I noticed is, modern bike riders configure their bar and brifters positions as to emulate what would be a high bullhorn configuration with everything on top at pretty much one level. Lots of C&V riders like to angle up their bars to possibly emulate this more modern approach to riding positions..
I personally still find the three position old school bar configuration with the top being the horizontal portion of the bar, near the stem, mid level on the hoods and low on the drops....
Old 01-04-16, 07:24 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I really thought I read that Schwinn wanted it's bar ends to point to the rear hub.
That is basically what Schwinn taught its dealers in the '60s and '70s. Schwinn wanted the bar ends at a 15 degree angle downward and brake lever hoods parallel to the downtube:

Old 01-04-16, 07:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Metacortex
That is basically what Schwinn taught its dealers in the '60s and '70s. Schwinn wanted the bar ends at a 15 degree angle downward and brake lever hoods parallel to the downtube:

There it is! That's the scan I was thinking of. Interesting that 15deg is the angle to get the bar ends to point to the rear hub.
That would obviously change depending on stem height though.
Thanks for the pic.
Old 01-04-16, 07:41 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
There it is! That's the scan I was thinking of. Interesting that 15deg is the angle to get the bar ends to point to the rear hub.
While Schwinn did quote the 15 degree angle in many publications, the angle to match those pictures (where the bar ends point to the rear axle) is more like 30 degrees actual.

That would obviously change depending on stem height though.
Schwinn wanted the stem height to be consistent as well, 1/2" below the top of the Twin-Stik shifters for derailleur models according to the official pubs.
Old 01-04-16, 08:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Metacortex
While Schwinn did quote the 15 degree angle in many publications, the angle to match those pictures (where the bar ends point to the rear axle) is more like 30 degrees actual.

Schwinn wanted the stem height to be consistent as well, 1/2" below the top of the Twin-Stik shifters for derailleur models according to the official pubs.
That's what was cool about Schwinn, even if I don't quite agree with all the details. They cared how their bikes were presented and showed their dealers how to do it.

These days, you can walk into a decent shop and see bars, levers, and saddles sticking in all directions, depending on who built the bike. Or not. Or you can walk into Wal~Mart and see a fork turned backwards.

Personally, I believe that if you're going to use the drops effectively, they should be dead horizontal to turned up a few degrees. And the ends of the levers should at least hit the projected line from the bottom of the drops. Lower is OK for shallow drops.

As for all that curved real estate above the lever, that's for draping your hands over, Roger de Vlaeminck style.

You already know, though, that you don't need my permission to do whatever makes you feel good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rouleur-roger-de-vlaeminck.jpg (77.1 KB, 485 views)
Old 01-04-16, 09:02 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I position my bars very similar to Chas. I ride the hoods 95% of the time as I no longer can keep my head tipped back to keep my eyes on the road for lengthy periods. Having the seat set 6" higher than the bars and riding the drops is definitely more suited for younger, more limber people than me.
Old 01-04-16, 09:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Kactus, that's fine, but optimizing for the tops has made it impractical to use the drops. It's fine if you don't plan to. My goal for my own bikes is to make the brake levers equally accessible from both the tops and the drops.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-04-16, 09:47 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Kactus, that's fine, but optimizing for the tops has made it impractical to use the drops. It's fine if you don't plan to. My goal for my own bikes is to make the brake levers equally accessible from both the tops and the drops.
Like I mentioned, I ride the hoods 95% (+) of the times and am only in the drops in areas where I feel safe with the reduced braking reaction time. I wish I had the flexibility to use the drops more often but I just don't.
Old 01-04-16, 10:08 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
That's what was cool about Schwinn, even if I don't quite agree with all the details. They cared how their bikes were presented and showed their dealers how to do it.

These days, you can walk into a decent shop and see bars, levers, and saddles sticking in all directions, depending on who built the bike. Or not. Or you can walk into Wal~Mart and see a fork turned backwards.

Personally, I believe that if you're going to use the drops effectively, they should be dead horizontal to turned up a few degrees. And the ends of the levers should at least hit the projected line from the bottom of the drops. Lower is OK for shallow drops.

As for all that curved real estate above the lever, that's for draping your hands over, Roger de Vlaeminck style.

You already know, though, that you don't need my permission to do whatever makes you feel good.
Yup!, it all kinda fell into place....shaved legs and the limp wrists!...... That's the ticket!
Old 01-05-16, 07:58 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Bingo.

When I am in the drops, the brake levers are literally at hand, which better allows me to stay relaxed and comfortable.

The "Schwinn" method is great in terms of gripping a straight section of bar at a comfortable angle, but brake lever access doesn't seem to be part of the plan!

Also, when I'm going at the highest speeds that I would over rougher road surfaces, that is no time to have to change one's hand position on the bars, which by itself could cause loss of control in worst-case circumstances.

So I gladly suffer some hand discomfort (from having my hand gripping the curved part) in lieu of surrendering ready brake lever access.

Thanks mstateglfr for clarifying the official position of the ever-conscientious Schwinn. They had their opinion on the matter, which I happen not to follow. But before the advent of the Anatomic handlebar, theirs was one way to maintain a comfortable grip over rough ground, with hands in a low, stability-promoting position.

I have purchased many a used bike with the brake levers positioned way down, for ready access from the straight ends of the bar. It's actually not that bad of a position if you never put hands to hoods, but deprives the rider of the best grip for out-of-saddle honking and somewhat disables the function of safety levers, where present.

Last edited by dddd; 01-05-16 at 08:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.