Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 04-02-19, 04:54 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
OK, it's unrelated to Helix, except insofar as I lost a bet on which crowdfunded project would launch first, Helix or ShareRoller. ShareRoller, now known as oneMotor, has delivered their first units. So close, but no banana, lol. I lost my $20 but I'm happy for the Helix backers and soon will be very happy for myself! Shareroller actually took longer than Helix to deliver. Crowdfunding teaches patience, that is for sure.
Please, post a review w/some pictures of the oneMotor when you receive it. I backed out of the campaign,...I want to see what I know I'll be missing! LoL!!!

Last edited by tds101; 04-02-19 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 08:17 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Please, post a review w/some pictures of the oneMotor when you receive it. I backed out of the campaign,...I want to see what I know I'll be missing! LoL!!!
I'll definitely start a thread on it, either in folding bikes or electric bikes, mmm, probably electric bikes. My bikes are folders but it doesn't have to go on a folder so the electric bike forum makes
the most sense. Early reviews are awesome, I'm pretty excited. Been a loooooong time. Having Helix backers waiting alongside really helped me, lol.
Old 04-03-19, 03:34 AM
Jonesandrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Helix production is rolling again. Backer no.19 has received tracking details.
Old 04-03-19, 08:42 AM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
Here's hoping April production hits double digits.
Old 04-04-19, 03:10 AM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by towndock
Here's hoping April production hits double digits.
let's hope you are wrong, as I can now expect my bikes somewhere in 2020. I seriously hope you turn out to be wrong!
Old 04-04-19, 07:22 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by AvnerBen
let's hope you are wrong, as I can now expect my bikes somewhere in 2020. I seriously hope you turn out to be wrong!
Actually, you had better hope he's right. If not, then you'll definitely be waiting until at least 2020.
Old 04-04-19, 07:42 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Actually, you had better hope he's right. If not, then you'll definitely be waiting until at least 2020.
I think AvnerBen wants triple digits not double.
Old 04-04-19, 08:28 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I think AvnerBen wants triple digits not double.
Oh, I understand that. But right now it's just single digits,...so double would be the correct trend to get him his Helix.
Old 04-04-19, 12:46 PM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, I understand that. But right now it's just single digits,...so double would be the correct trend to get him his Helix.
The formal forecast was 100 pieces a month to start with, reaching 250 in spring. By this rate, my August delivery estimate was realistic. If we are down to two-digit month rate, then it's 2020.
​​​​​​I sincerely hope this is a temporary setback!
Old 04-04-19, 02:20 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

The formal forecast was 100 pieces a month to start with, reaching 250 in spring. By this rate, my August delivery estimate was realistic. If we are down to two-digit month rate, then it's 2020.
​​​​​​I sincerely hope this is a temporary setback!
Again, I remember the projected logistics. The fact the bike is even rolling out at a possible double production rate should actually be applauded at this point. So far the Helix appears to be worth the wait. Soon those triple digits will be reached, you'll receive a bike, and the forums will be ablaze with praise for this beast. I'm welcoming the change,...I'm sooooo tired of all the dang ​Brompton threads! LoL!!!
Old 04-04-19, 03:03 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I sincerely hope this is a temporary setback!

Yes, I do hope that production ramps up substantially. I just started a REVIEW thread for actual owners of Helix that received the bike in this forum and will be adding to it including tips/tricks. I would love to hear more feedback/observations from Helix riders. So far, I've been very impressed with.
Old 04-04-19, 03:14 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
With 10 bikes per month and 1700+ bikes to produce, the last one will be delivered in 170 months from now = 2034 !

BTW, besides production, there is also shipment to backers and pre-orders all over the world, its not easy to manage and it also takes time.

The easiest for Peter would be not to do it itself but using a specialized company like Amazon.
Old 04-04-19, 04:03 PM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight
Yes, I do hope that production ramps up substantially. I just started a REVIEW thread for actual owners of Helix that received the bike in this forum and will be adding to it including tips/tricks. I would love to hear more feedback/observations from Helix riders. So far, I've been very impressed with.
thanks for your review. Very interesting!
Old 04-04-19, 04:25 PM
ladi

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jipe
With 10 bikes per month and 1700+ bikes to produce, the last one will be delivered in 170 months from now = 2034 !

BTW, besides production, there is also shipment to backers and pre-orders all over the world, its not easy to manage and it also takes time.

The easiest for Peter would be not to do it itself but using a specialized company like Amazon.
I'm afraid with 10 bikes a month he might also not be able to earn his operating expenses. Let's just assume every bike was 1.500$ (US) and one third of this is parts + material. This roughly means there is 10.000$ a month for employees, rent, gas, paying off machines, ... Not sure how high wages are in Canada but here in Germany this would be barely enough for just 2 qualified employees.

So I think success of the project very much depends on being able to upscale the operation.
Old 04-04-19, 04:28 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
We shouldn't estimate future production by figures achieved while still designing & debugging the process.
Old 04-04-19, 05:13 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Revoltingest
We shouldn't estimate future production by figures achieved while still designing & debugging the process.
Exactly,...you've come this far, be patient for a little longer,...
Old 04-04-19, 06:02 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Exactly,...you've come this far, be patient for a little longer,...
I'm pleased waiting for a better bike than expected because of Peter's obsessive attention.
Still....I'd be very happy to get it soon.
Old 04-04-19, 08:55 PM
linberl

As I remind myself (about my pending drive kit) six months from now you won't remember how long you waited if you are out enjoying the extra effort that went into the Helix and appreciating it. Whilte it would be great if crowdfunded projects delivered on time, better late due to perfectionism rather than delivered on time but poor quality or not delivered at all (as happens apparently all too often).
Old 04-04-19, 11:12 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Agree about the wait. It is worth it. Obviously I'm writing as one who got my Helixes so it is easy for me to say. (LOL! I was on the KS site before it was posted and kept hitting 'refresh' on my browser as the campaign opened up a bit late.) However, Peter is slower on the manufacturing because he is setting it up right so that it can be ramped up for more production rather than settle for a non-optimized assembly process. In my opinion, here's the key to understanding the process - Peter's a perfectionist who is always keeping the long term success in view so the delays have been bunched up on the front end of the manufacturing process.

Just as Peter has been a perfectionist about the bike, I believe that he's also a perfectionist about the assembly process. We are getting very close to a completed process. I've said this before that I think Helix is rewriting the rules of high end folder manufacturing - a new paradigm. Some have mocked me for that statement (I don't mind at all) and so time will tell if I am right. I bet that I am. Once everything is set up 'just so', ,the bikes should flow much more quickly.
Old 04-05-19, 02:35 AM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just as Peter has been a perfectionist about the bike, I believe that he's also a perfectionist about the assembly process. We are getting very close to a completed process. I've said this before that I think Helix is rewriting the rules of high end folder manufacturing - a new paradigm. Some have mocked me for that statement (I don't mind at all) and so time will tell if I am right. I bet that I am. Once everything is set up 'just so', ,the bikes should flow much more quickly.
I agree about the new paradigm in folding bikes. That's what lured me in, in the first place, and for all I see in the pictures and some review published, Peter had indeed made that. As a long-time Brompton owner, I have always been frustrated by its unfinished design. The proliferating industry of replacement parts is proof. Someone even sells a special Velcro band to secure the folded bike from accidental opening! And the direction that the company is developing into seems to be completely oblivious of the basic design flaws. Let's hope Peter makes it safely through production, then.
Still, to be realistic, I cancelled my plan to make our summer bike vacation on our Helixes. We are renting. Even if the bikes miraculously make it on time, that still takes mudguards and a reliable rack that fits the fold, etc. The summer of 2020 looks more realistic.
Old 04-07-19, 04:58 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Latest update has arrived.
Production issues are being solved.
Bikes 11-30 are going out this week.
Old 04-07-19, 09:53 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
yes indeed. Production is ramping up!
Old 04-08-19, 02:24 AM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Production

yes indeed. Production is ramping up!
in response to popular request, promised to update production figures on a regular basis.
An interesting update detailing the production process is due.
Old 04-17-19, 04:07 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Correction

Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
I need to correct my post of two weeks ago. Although some backers had reported receiving tracking details it appears that no bikes were actually shipped at that time. The backer of bike no.15 now reports that his bike has actually shipped, so maybe (just maybe) production has restarted again. Peter continues to give production predictions which have zero accuracy. I guess a leopard can't change it's spots.
Old 04-17-19, 09:22 AM
linberl

I think inventors have to inherently be optimists. Otherwise, they'd never persist. Perhaps that optimism carries over to shipping guidelines ;-).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.