Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Burley Travoy question

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Burley Travoy question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 04:51 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I don't have a Car, period. I have fast food places surrounding me ( think they are closing in)
You deserve a break today.
So get up and get away...

Worst trailer I have owned out of 4 ( bob's, Croozer's)
Poor CG to axis of suspension. Rolls over faster than one of Trump's collaborators.
Minor pavement irregularities and bouncy hinges flips it on sidewalks.
Sensitive to tire pressure! and load shift , then ANY pavement irregularity will causes a flip.

Positive reviews seem dominated by folks with short hauls at slow speeds and light loads. It is a good cart, just a poor trailer. the physics/geometry just against it.
I am mounted on a Dahon/Downtube, 37" hitch height 10-20 lb loads, low down, strapped in.
Flipped 5x in 10 miles , Original tubes don't hold pressure well, need frequent checking, as when low aggravate the bounce that flips it
The trailer has about 2" of flex/bounce at the center, that is amplified by tires . the flex is coming from hinge to frame insertion, and I may have a warrantee issue over that.
?what is your flex? 75% of this is coming from the looseness in the middle hinge to tube insertion
I wouldn't ride it any place that I feared a flip (street) for over half a mile.
Lower mounting may help, but that defeats its folder utility, and this would put pivot behind axle, which may also account for your different experience.

EDITED ADDENDUM:
I found mine very tippy ,as stated above , on a 20" foldy and pretty stable on a 27" steel diamond frame
The 27" had a 7.5" distance from from hitch post to rear contact patch's vertical projection, the foldy 5.5"
which when reduced seemed to be the variable that made the trailer unstable.
I am not sure how the rack mount would perform as it also lowers the hitch height while moving the pivot rearward.
But lowering the height on the seat post did not appear to change the low stability on my 20" bike.
In summary my bad experience was with the 20" foldy, and in my experience it was a dangerous combination
and to me this accounts for the marked difference between my experience and the others, who appear to have "full sized" bikes

Last edited by bikebikebike; 11-17-19 at 06:19 PM.