Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Heated Glove Liner Through Costco Canada (online only)

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 11:33 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts

My hands have been really cold so far this year so I started looking at heated gloves. Most of the heated gloves are very expensive, and most got poor reviews, specifically that the heat was concentrated on the back of hands and none out to the fingers.

Then I saw these liners which indicated continuous heating to all fingers. Since I already had several decent pairs of gloves I figure heated liners might be a better choice.

I'm ordering a pair of these heated glove liners from Costco Canada, but they are a Christmas present so I won't be able to review them until the end of the month. I was planning to buy them even at the full $179 price, but they launched today for $36 less for the next 2 weeks.
https://www.costco.ca/Fired-Up-Unise...100386416.html

Instead of using a wired resistor creating a point of heat, they use bundled carbon fibers as the heating element. It turns out you can buy carbon fiber heating tape / rope to make your own heated stuff. There are a bunch of diy tutorials here by a guy who sells the flexible heating tape.
So if might be possible to cobble something together quite a bit cheaper.
https://www.instructables.com/member...instructables/
Old 12-04-17, 12:35 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Pretty pricey. My hands get cold too. I've been using the chemical heat packs for the hands and toes. They are necessary for only a handful of days during the winter, pardon the pun.
Old 12-04-17, 12:52 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
OP, what do you do when they stop working? Tried pogies?
Old 12-04-17, 02:24 PM
gecho

I've got mitts that I pull over my gloves for when my hands start going numb so I'll keep them as a backup. I've got the reynauds pretty bad and my fingers go white to the knuckles intermittently and it seems to be getting worse every year.

I haven't tried pogies, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using them plus I have 3 winter bikes so unless I equipped all the bikes it would be a partial solution.
Old 12-04-17, 05:28 PM
Samuraidog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool. Canadian Costcos seem to have some really neat stuff for winter that we don't have here south of the border.
Old 12-14-17, 09:31 AM
FiredUpX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fired Up Liners

Hi. I'm the founder/CEO of Fired Up X. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer. You can also reach me through our website. Cheers.

Jimmy
Old 12-14-17, 09:41 AM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FiredUpX
Hi. I'm the founder/CEO of Fired Up X. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer. You can also reach me through our website. Cheers.

Jimmy
can u buy them here in the NYC area without getting them from Costco Canada
Old 12-14-17, 10:02 AM
FiredUpX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glove Liner

I can create a discount code for you so you can buy from my website at the same price Costco Canada has right now until Sunday. Shipping would be probably around $20 to NYC. The system will estimate that for you. Contact me through the website and I will take care of you.

Jimmy

Originally Posted by ridingfool
can u buy them here in the NYC area without getting them from Costco Canada
Old 12-20-17, 05:40 PM
gecho

Do you have a picture of what the heating elements in the sock look like? I thought the large squares were the heating pads, but reading closer I saw they were pockets for the heating pads.
Old 12-21-17, 10:50 PM
edman610

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp Disc Ultegra, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Specialized Fat Boy, trek Superfly FS9, Cannondale R400, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can create a discount code for you so you can buy from my website at the same price Costco Canada has right now until Sunday. Shipping would be probably around $20 to NYC. The system will estimate that for you. Contact me through the website and I will take care of you.

Jimmy
Jimmy - I'm in NYC. Whats the website and do you also do heated shoe liners? Intersted.

Thanks
Ed
Old 12-22-17, 12:31 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Whew, those are a little on the expensive side, unless you found different ones than show up now.
https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?...d+glove+liners

I have a fair amount of tolerance for cold. In the winter, I use ski gloves. Usually within the first 10 minutes or so my hands start getting chilly. So, I'll pull the fingers out of the finger holes and ball my hand up in a fist in the top part of the gloves, and the hands warm up enough.

Within a couple of miles my hands recover, and I put the fingers back into the gloves. Even if I'm doing several stops, it is usually just that first few minutes that is a problem.

I have thought about getting ski mittens instead of ski gloves, as I think keeping the fingers together would keep them a lot warmer, and I don't think I really need to move the fingers much. The brifters and brakes should work fine with mittens.

As far as your heated gloves. I like the idea of CF heating elements if they hold up. Are they insulated, or just counting on low rate of conduction through fabric and moisture?

Good luck with your "Christmas Gift"
Old 12-22-17, 12:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
So if might be possible to cobble something together quite a bit cheaper.
https://www.instructables.com/member...instructables/
At least some of the instructables led me to this website:

Carbon tape

Costs of some of the tapes is about $5 or $6 per meter.

Soller Composites sells woven carbon tape for about $1 to $1.50 a yard for 1/2" wide.

I wonder if the tapes are similar. I don't have any CF tape, but I have some CF sleeve material that perhaps I'll try taking a resistance measurement.
Old 12-23-17, 10:58 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have a fair amount of tolerance for cold. In the winter, I use ski gloves. Usually within the first 10 minutes or so my hands start getting chilly. So, I'll pull the fingers out of the finger holes and ball my hand up in a fist in the top part of the gloves, and the hands warm up enough.
What helps too, is: before you put your gloves on, make a fist and blow inside (your warm breath).

And warm up your gloves before you take off. Starting warmth often makes the differ
Old 12-23-17, 05:48 PM
gecho

Are they insulated
No they are just liners meant to be worn inside an insulated glove. Since I already have some decent gloves I figure this would be the best option rather than buying a more expensive heated glove with a system that is tied to that one glove. The heated gloves I researched didn't even heat the fingers, just on the back of the hand.
Old 12-26-17, 09:10 AM
FiredUpX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sock Heating Pads

I am unable to post links until I have some more posts. But you can email me form any of the contacts on our website and I can email you a pic of the sock heating pads. They are made form a Durable TPU fabric.

The heating pads are the size of the pockets and fit perfect within. One at the bottom and one at the top. They then plug into the control button which is on the pouch. The battery also connects to the control button on the pouch. You can clip the pouch on to your boots or the provided strap.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy

Originally Posted by gecho
Do you have a picture of what the heating elements in the sock look like? I thought the large squares were the heating pads, but reading closer I saw they were pockets for the heating pads.
Old 12-26-17, 09:12 AM
FiredUpX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We do not do insoles as the general consensus from what Costco already sells is they don't work that well.

The socks are actually liners with heating pads within that are removable.

Again I can't post links on here just yet but search Fired Up X Heated apparel on Google and you will find our website.

We do have a Boxing week special with 25% and free shipping.

Jimmy

Originally Posted by edman610
Jimmy - I'm in NYC. Whats the website and do you also do heated shoe liners? Intersted.

Thanks
Ed
Old 12-26-17, 09:15 AM
FiredUpX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glove Liners

Boxing week special on our website. These are liners that are not insulated. The goal was to make them stretchable and as thin as possible which we were able to accomplish. For example I am a XL hand size but love the feel and fit of the XS better than the Large. Did I mention all the pricing you see is in Canadian dollars. Right now we have 25% off with free shipping including anywhere within the continental US.

Jimmy

Whew, those are a little on the expensive side, unless you found different ones than show up now.

Within a couple of miles my hands recover, and I put the fingers back into the gloves. Even if I'm doing several stops, it is usually just that first few minutes that is a problem.

I have thought about getting ski mittens instead of ski gloves, as I think keeping the fingers together would keep them a lot warmer, and I don't think I really need to move the fingers much. The brifters and brakes should work fine with mittens.

As far as your heated gloves. I like the idea of CF heating elements if they hold up. Are they insulated, or just counting on low rate of conduction through fabric and moisture?

Good luck with your "Christmas Gift"
Old 12-26-17, 10:24 AM
gecho

For example I am a XL hand size but love the feel and fit of the XS better than the Large.
Based on the size guide I'm just into the Large size, so ordered those. The large are huge, definitely much to large for me with an inch of extra material at the end of each finger. They do heat up incredibly fast though.

Last edited by gecho; 12-26-17 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-17, 01:38 PM
gecho

After my size post I contacted the company about an exchange for the XS size. Less than 20 minutes after sending my address I had a tracking # for the shipment. Very responsive customer service.

With the windchill pushing the temperature below -40 this week I haven't been out riding.
Old 01-24-18, 10:58 AM
gecho

The weather has been alternating between being too warm to need the liners and too cold to go out at all, but I finally got a few rides in with the liners.

The liners put out a good amount of heat all around the hand and you can feel the heat almost immediately. When I first wore them with wool gloves I found the heat is most noticeable when the liner is pressed against the hand. With the heating material toward the back side of the hand I would feel more heat with a fully open hand, then less when grasping the bars where the fingers were pressed against the inner side of the glove. A found a great way to ensure constant heater contact is to put the gloves on the wrong hand so the heating material is on the inside. The liner material is so stretchy wearing them on the wrong hand feels fine.

The stretch material of the liners doesn't block wind like my other liners do, so with my wool gloves they had a hard time keeping up on a windy ride. The liners work much better for me inside a windproof glove. The battery makes them a little bulk at the wrist but they still fit well inside my gloves.

I started a ride last night with the liners in my bag. After my hands started going numb I put the liners on and my hands quickly warmed back up and I left the heat on medium for the remaining 2 hours and 45 mins.