Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

guys with glasses how do you ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

guys with glasses how do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-05, 03:21 PM
jrennie
Race to train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use script sun glasses
Old 06-10-05, 03:23 PM
twbradford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contacts!!!

Used to ride with my glasses but those 150.00 frames would look horrible in short order due to the sweat eating away the finish.
Old 06-10-05, 03:29 PM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got contacts for riding and they make a huge difference. I have astygmatism (sp?), and the contacts correct for that, so now I'm seeing better than ever. They are a pain at first, it took me about a week to be able to get them in smoothly, but for me they're worth it. The disposible ones are good because you don't feel too bad if you lose a pair.

And I don't have to buy perscription sunglasses. I just have to buy contacts. I should actually do that this week. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 06-10-05, 03:30 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The following is sort of reposted from this thread which you might want to page through since it has some good information.

While it's relatively easy to produce prescription lens for non-wrap sunglasses, those that have a lot of wrap-around that's recommended for activities such as cycling are more difficult to create in prescription format... especially if the wraps use a rimless design. Many brands of high-end sunglasses allow for prescription via clip-on/in inserts. These are typically subframes that can accept a prescription ground lens.

They work fine but there are several things I don't like about them.
  1. If you adjust them to sit close to the face without the inserts then when the inserts are used, they can be touching which might be annoying
  2. Heavier but after a bit the feeling of the extra weight goes away. You can get plastic lenses which help bring down the weight but they might not be of the best optical quality which might cause other problems (see below).
  3. Multiple optical surfaces can cause distortion due to differences in index of refraction although if you use really good quality prescription glass lenses this should not be too bad. The downside is that glass can be heavier than polycarb plastic.
  4. They fog up easier in cold humid weather and are hard to clear when that happens. The Rudy Project Kerosenes I use have a "vent control" feature which helps keep things from fogging.
  5. Sweat can run between the two optical surfaces and be hard to wipe away. Other things can get trapped between the wrap and lens such as bugs and dirt.
  6. Makes you look even more goofy

In general, I only use my inserts for when I'm MTBing and wear my contacts when I'm RBing. I do carry the inserts with me just in case my contacts foul up and I have to ditch them.

Oakley has the ability to embed a prescription lens right into the main wrap lens itself. It's pricey though. For certain models of Rudy Project, Adidas and Smith, there's an outfit called Sports Optical that will handle custom-grounding of lens that will fit into certain wrap frames but they're very expensive (prices start at $250 I believe). And if like me, you need to have interchangable lenses to match different lighting conditions then you have to get all your different lenses ground with prescription. This can get pretty costly but is the ultimate solution aside from contacts or surgery.

Old 06-10-05, 03:32 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wear my glasses and use some clip on lenses I bought at Costco. So far they have worked fine.
Old 06-10-05, 03:53 PM
kandnhome
Unemplawyer

Bikes: 2006 21" Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to wear contacts, by then my optometrist/opthalmologist told me I had to wear glasses for a while or I'd never wear contacts again (had a bunch of new, leaky blood vessels developing in my eyes). I used to ride w/contacts and sunglasses, now I just ride with my glasses. So far, no problems. They keep the wind and bugs out of my eyes, and I can see. Wrap arounds might be handy at speeds greater than 25-30mph or so (my glasses sometimes develop weird aerodynamics and start moving around at those speeds), but I don't spend a lot of time going that fast, so no worries.

I much preferred the contacts + sunglasses combo though. Better peripheral vision, better glare control, and I looked a (tiny) bit cooler
Old 06-10-05, 04:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Contacts and wraparound sunglasses (Bolle 401).
Old 06-10-05, 04:12 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contacts
Old 06-10-05, 04:13 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Living an active outdoor lifestyle became too much for me to handle with glasses. I was actually getting to the point where I loathed hiking, skiing, hunting, cycling, and even working outside because my glasses constantly got wet or fogged up from the rain and cold weather, making it impossible to see. Hunting was the most difficult. Slowly stalking or sitting absolutely still with my bow for hours in the rain is hard enough as it is. But, with soaked glasses to boot, it's even worse.

I hated giving up the things I enjoy because of poor vision, and glasses that were nothing but a pain. I cannot where contacts because I have always had slightly dryeyes, and wearing them was pure torture, even after trying several of the best contact lenses on the market.

Finally, the nearsighted vision to which I suffered is no longer a problem, and my life had taken the biggest turn around I have seen in years. My vision is now superior 20/15 in both eyes. Better than any glasses had ever given me. What was it that made my life an absolute paradise?

LASIK.
Old 06-10-05, 04:14 PM
BayAreaRider
BayAreaRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contacts.
Old 06-10-05, 04:15 PM
rydwhite

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prescription sunglasses for me.
Old 06-10-05, 04:19 PM
STEVO820
i am eddy.

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
Living an active outdoor lifestyle becam too much for me to handle with glasses. I was actually getting to the point where I loathed hiking, skiing, hunting, cycling, and even working outside because my glasses constantly got wet or fogged up from the rain and cold weather, making it impossible to see.

I hated giving up the things I enjoy because of poor vision, and glasses that were nothing but a pain. I cannot where contacts because I have always had slightly dy eyes, and wearing them was pure torture, even after trying several of the best contact lenses on the market.

Finally, the nearsighted vision to which I suffered is no longer a problem, and my life had taken the biggest turn around I have seen in years. What was it that made my life an absolute paradise?

LASIK.
i have astigmatism and lasik costs alot to do the astig laser. lasik is still up in the air because my insurance MIGHT help out with it me and my mom are going to check it out.
Old 06-10-05, 04:23 PM
rydwhite

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, nice car STEVO820.
Old 06-10-05, 04:37 PM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear Oakley thick A frames. Not the traditional riding sunglasses but I lke them and I wear them off the bike and look good too.
Old 06-10-05, 04:43 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are considering LASIK, or any type of corective eye surgery, it is usually best to wait well into your late 20's to do so. As youget older, your body continues growing, and your eyes will slightly change during your teens and early 20's. I waited as well. I saw a doctor when I was 23yo, and even then he suggested I wait just a couple more years, since my prescription had just recently changed slightly. I finally decided to have it done when I was 29yo. My eyes have been good now for 6 years, and I have never regretted it once. Best investment I ever made. I have saved more than the cost of the surgery in glasses alone.

I paid $2000 for the LASIK, but I was easily paying $300 or more every year for new eye exams and quality glasses. Not anymore.
Old 06-10-05, 04:44 PM
Hawkear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Rudy Project Kerosenes with some additional lenses and an Rx insert, and I couldn't be happier. Rose for the day, and Yellow for the night. Now I don't tear up during 40 mph descents.
Old 06-10-05, 04:45 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I had my eyes zapped with laser 5 years ago...
Old 06-10-05, 04:50 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found contacts were more of a pain for me in dry climates as dust and stuff irritated my eyes a lot more so I finally gave up the trouble and went back to glasses. The occasional rainstorm is a pain in the but I will concede but I like them until I can afford Lasik.
Old 06-10-05, 04:53 PM
zelah
Banned

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i havent had any problems riding with my glasses

but they're nerd/emo/black square frame style, sooooo un-aero
Old 06-10-05, 05:10 PM
Monument Man

Bikes: Seven Cycles Odonata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
weight weenies wear contacts
Old 06-10-05, 05:30 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Adidas wraparound sunglasses with prescription inserts
Old 06-10-05, 05:33 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear prescription sunglasses.
Old 06-10-05, 06:26 PM
STEVO820
i am eddy.

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydwhite
By the way, nice car STEVO820.
it gets me around and it holds my bike rack...i also beat the **** out of it. its a strong little car. not as fast as my evo but oh well

Old 06-10-05, 06:27 PM
baxtefer
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contacts
Old 06-10-05, 06:31 PM
fhall1

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bolle Paroles or Vigilantes with optical insert...I keep the sunglass lenses in the Paroles and the Yellow lenses in the Vigilantes and swap the optical insert around depending on sky conditions...much faster than trying to change the lenses of the Bolle's themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.