Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free...The reality.

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living Car Free...The reality.

Old 09-30-18, 08:19 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
A bit out of date those old fins of the automotive culture...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_...mobile_culture

I'm swooning now...oh my!
Old 09-30-18, 08:37 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3941 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 88 Posts
With more energy many things become possible such as... more mobility.

~ Tisha Schuller and Seth Levey, Scientific American
The point of that article is that poor people and developing countries need access to energy to improve their lives and economies Fair enough. However since there is no unlimited source of clean energy, the only way that can happen without destroying the world is if we use less. Besides, where do Tisher and Levey say that energy has to go to highways and cars - the most inefficient way to move people?

Also, although it is published in Scientific American it is not a scientific article. It is an opinion piece by the head of a natural gas consulting company.

Last edited by cooker; 09-30-18 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-30-18, 09:40 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I saw a TED talk about providing people in Africa small scale solar systems to power their houses so as to free them from expensive grids and allow them more wide spread modest use of electricity. It talked about a future where community collectives could pool solar power to either sell (generate income) or power small scale industry. Quite interesting as I think we take basic power for granted but they can't even refrigerate food or use lights in the evening.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-30-18 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-30-18, 09:59 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
The point of that article is that poor people and developing countries need access to energy to improve their lives and economies Fair enough. However since there is no unlimited source of clean energy, the only way that can happen without destroying the world is if we use less. Besides, where do Tisher and Levey say that energy has to go to highways and cars - the most inefficient way to move people?

Also, although it is published in Scientific American it is not a scientific article. It is an opinion piece by the head of a natural gas consulting company.
The plains Indians didn't acquire horses until the 18th century. I wonder of anyone thought maybe they shouldn't mess around with those animals or they'd destroy the world. The horse culture changed the Indian culture and if not for the Automotive culture there'd be a lot of horses*** to deal with today...

Since the buffalo herds moved seasonally great distances from place to place those who depended on them for their living must move also. The horse made this far easier and quicker. I know of few situations in history where the economy and culture of a society have been so dramatically transformed with such lightning speed by a similar empowerment. The romance and excitement of this colorful culture has captured the imagination of the Western World and it has become a favorite subject for books, paintings and movies.

The Indian acquisition of the horse reminds me of the somewhat analogous technological revolution in our society caused by the invention and ubiquitous spread of motor vehicles. The glory days of Indian horsemen lasted a little over a century. Given our rapid exhaustion of oil and gas reserves and our pollution of the environment, one wonders if the glory days of the motor vehicle will last much longer than that of the mounted Indian.

Old 09-30-18, 10:10 PM
McBTC

We've all in our own way just been following the buffalo ever since...

One must remember that before the early 1700s the Plains Indian depended on dogs or human beings for transporting their equipment. The vast herds of buffalo were extremely difficult for them to hunt because they could move much faster than a man on foot. On the vast plains there was little cover where hunters could hide to make a stalk. Certainly resourceful hunters managed to kill buffalo with techniques like approaching using wolf hides as cover or driving herds over a precipice, but this did not provide great abundance with any continuity. Almost overnight, as if by magic, they found a way to outrun a buffalo and carry much greater loads farther and faster than a dog or a human.
https://www.equitours.com/views-from...rican-culture/
Old 10-01-18, 12:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A bit out of date those old fins of the automotive culture...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_...mobile_culture

Now that is automotive culture!!
Old 10-01-18, 06:02 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

We've all in our own way just been following the buffalo ever since...

https://www.equitours.com/views-from...rican-culture/
There's a lot of romanticization of Sioux buffalo hunting culture. Basically the Sioux were driven out of the woods of Minnesosa and the Mississippi valley by brutal white man-driven wars with the Iroquois and Ojibway over the beaver trade, and were able to adapt to life on the plains thanks to aquiring guns and horses. However that made them too dependant on buffalo so they could be starved into submission and their culture destroyed by white men exterminating the buffalo.

Last edited by cooker; 10-01-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 06:20 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

The plains Indians didn't acquire horses until the 18th century. I wonder of anyone thought maybe they shouldn't mess around with those animals or they'd destroy the world. The horse culture changed the Indian culture and if not for the Automotive culture there'd be a lot of horses*** to deal with today...
I do agree with this part of your post 204:
Given our rapid exhaustion of oil and gas reserves and our pollution of the environment, one wonders if the glory days of the motor vehicle will last much longer than that of the mounted Indian.

Last edited by cooker; 10-01-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 07:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Will biowaste be a viable source of energy for vehicles is sorta where this is all leading to.
Old 10-10-18, 02:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
From BBC

Why you have (probably) already
bought your last car.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45786690
Old 10-14-18, 11:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

We had one LCF thread end up in P&R, to my surprise...these things don't have to go there.
Old 10-15-18, 12:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Rollfast
We had one LCF thread end up in P&R, to my surprise...these things don't have to go there.
You were surprised?
Old 10-15-18, 10:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
No? Where should threads overwhelmed with P&R ranting, musing about OT social consciousness raising issues, and/or weird attempts at OT humor go?
Old 10-15-18, 06:05 PM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
When I've need a vehicle like this, I simply rent it a day earlier than needed and return when the rental place is open. It might've cost an extra $50, but with the ~$6500 I'm saving a year being car free, it's not an issue.
Old 10-15-18, 07:05 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No? Where should threads overwhelmed with P&R ranting, musing about OT social consciousness raising issues, and/or weird attempts at OT humor go?
You sir, is/are part of the "problem & people who think like you"... as , far as sustainability is concerned... YES, we can, continue on the path we are on, and be hugely successful,.. YAY, Hurrah… , but, what about the future generations..>>> I have NEVER seen a post from you as to how that would work out. "in the future".. Give me a break, what does your future, look like in the bigger scheme of things... >>> oh, and your ancestor's future... ???
Old 10-16-18, 12:43 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Never thought I'd have the chance to say this in normal conversation but: Your ancestor's future is now!
Old 10-16-18, 04:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Never thought I'd have the chance to say this in normal conversation but: Your ancestor's future is now!

Old 10-16-18, 03:07 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If I was living car free, how would I accomplish this journey in 9 days and carry all the gear I need for my vacation?
After I gave up the car it took me one year to save up for a 5-month bike trip using the money I would have used for fuel, insurance, repairs, parking, etc., on my van. I also sold the van, a motorcycle, and my pop-up camper (all things I loved). I biked self-contained from New Orleans, USA to Vancouver, BC, then down the coast to Mexico. 5-months total. I brought a fishing pole and some light tackle. Seriously. I have photos to prove it.

I gave up several things I love to do, like canoeing, bow fishing, hunting, and surf cast fishing, for instance, when I decided I would be happier without a few activities if it meant ditching the gahdamn car. That was 1989. Nearly 30 years later I have no regrets. (I have also biked across the USA five times). If you don't mind being a slave to the car, or if you are rich, then you should not go car free if the car/truck enhances your life more than it detracts from it. Pretty simple.
Old 10-16-18, 03:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by nazcalines
When I've need a vehicle like this, I simply rent it a day earlier than needed and return when the rental place is open. It might've cost an extra $50, but with the ~$6500 I'm saving a year being car free, it's not an issue.
Or ^^this. Flexibility.
Old 10-17-18, 12:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I cut out all the slanted, self-serving, and derogatory parts and came up with what I would call an actual nugget of wisdom:
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
you should not go car free if the car/truck enhances your life more than it detracts from it. Pretty simple.
Old 10-17-18, 10:06 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

After I gave up the car it took me one year to save up for a 5-month bike trip using the money I would have used for fuel, insurance, repairs, parking, etc., on my van. I also sold the van, a motorcycle, and my pop-up camper (all things I loved). I biked self-contained from New Orleans, USA to Vancouver, BC, then down the coast to Mexico. 5-months total. I brought a fishing pole and some light tackle. Seriously. I have photos to prove it.

I gave up several things I love to do, like canoeing, bow fishing, hunting, and surf cast fishing, for instance, when I decided I would be happier without a few activities if it meant ditching the gahdamn car. That was 1989. Nearly 30 years later I have no regrets. (I have also biked across the USA five times). If you don't mind being a slave to the car, or if you are rich, then
you should not go car free if the car/truck enhances your life more than it detracts from it. Pretty simple.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I cut out all the slanted, self-serving, and derogatory parts and came up with what I would call an actual nugget of wisdom:
Wow! I have an on-site proof reader/editor! Free. I love it!

I was just trying to point out that no one really knows how going car-free will turn out without trying it. I kept my van for two years before I sold it, just in case I changed my mind. I killed the license and insurance then put it in a free storage spot I had lined up. Sold it to my little brother for $1 when I was sure.

Every single car-free person gives up something they love doing, or something becomes so inconvenient that they stop doing it. Welcome to the club Mr. Fisherman! In fact, I'm going to start a thread about this.

Feel free to proof/edit! I like it.
Old 10-18-18, 10:21 PM
McBTC

The term, "Iron Horse" was meant to venerate the steam locomotive back in the day when horses were used to run machinery. As time when on, so the story goes, companies that operated trains made a crucial marketing mistake (back in the day when automobiles showed up), believing they were in the railroad business when they actually were in the transportation business. For most who own and operate motor vehicles, I think it's pretty well understood that a car is transportation and not a hobby. If you can get around without having to shell out the expense of car ownership, it makes sense you'd be, living car-free. I can easily get around without a bike but I own and ride one-- it's more a hobby, probably a bit like many who owned the first cars. But, pretty quickly, many came to understand that car ownership literally and figuratively expanded your horizons--
Old 10-19-18, 10:33 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Feel free to proof/edit! I like it.
All he did was censor your entire post except for the part where you said something seemingly car-positive; probably either to try to groom you into being more car-positive generally or to provoke a car vs. bike debate, which are the downfall of this subforum and thus the highlight for the pro-car (i.e. car defensive) people.
Old 10-19-18, 10:38 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Actually, what I did was take out all the slanted, anti-car stuff and leave in the parts grounded in reality. Only some people can see and admit that sometimes using a car is the better alternative.
in fact, anyone who thinks that the remaining sentence was car-positive is by that revealing deep prejudice (or a need for medication.)

What JoeyBike actually said was, use a car or don't, whichever is better.

And that, sirs and madams, makes sense.
Old 10-19-18, 04:12 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Maelochs
What JoeyBike actually said was, use a car or don't, whichever is better.
Or...ditch the car, keep your insurance, and test the waters. If car-free sucks for you, get another car. Last year I rented 14 cars for one to four days. Now that car rental prices are through the roof for some reason, I start considering owning a car again. For reasons mentioned already, I can't have one right now so, I just do something else not requiring rental cars. Life sucks sometimes. What can I say. Put on the big-boy pants and move on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.