Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh sports need some advice

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 04:55 PM
ReadyRoose

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Electra Cruiser, Vista Duchess, Citizen Tokyo, 2 Rog Ponies, Farnichar , Azziri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone ,

i have been looking at this bike and speaking to the owner for over a month . Asked her several times to come down in price to 50 dollars . She just couldn’t do it . I just get this text message with the sound of desperation. She is tired of dealing with all the would be buyers attitudes. Not really wanting to pay what she is asking . I said if they are an expert on Raleigh’s they understand what it will take for it to run . I said I’m no expert I do check with people who are . It’s hard to sell a bike and you don’t want one that doesn’t fit needs major repairs that Is a let down for most . As we don’t have the knowledge to repair . It’s like a car in a way .

If anyone could be so kind to tell me if this is worth purchasing , how much I should offer (originally offered 60) she wants me to meet her somewhere in between . Which I don’t need to do since I have been listening to all your stories and there are a lot of bikes I can own from now until I die !! . So do I need it no would I like if yeah.

Im 5’1 will the bike fit? I don’t know my size . (That is reminiscent of Jean size!)

Is the bike original (seat isn’t )

what should I offer and why so I can educate her.

When people have attachemenf to cars, bikes, horses, Jewlrey they get gouge fever . I learned long ago growing up on a farm you can’t do such a thing as the buyers attachemenf will be different then yours. I had many horses and didn’t regret selling one of them as it was a step in my growth . I look at my new hobby (bikes) as just that .

Thanks everyone I will wait for advice .

Quick question I am 5’1 do I take a 19” bike ? And could that very from each make .

Also I have folding bikes so what size frame should I be on ? I rode the citizen Tokyo I purchased back in the winter . That thing scared the crap out of me !!!! Those tiny wheels !!!! I hit the brakes and thought I would go flying . Guess what’s getting sold! I stick with my Rog/Czech bikes . More solid .

Check out what I found on Facebook Marketplace. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7301353226991/

Thanks Heather

Last edited by ReadyRoose; 08-02-18 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Error sentence structure
Old 08-02-18, 05:40 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
You can't educate sellers. I've tried. Sellers have the right to ask whatever price they want, whether the bike is worth it or not. You have the right to keep looking. You should either give her the $60 or move on.

Have you considered you might be the problem and not the seller? Why do you think the bike is not worth $60? Do you have better options at $50? Someone somewhere always scores a deal. The part that is missing in those deals is how much time and effort that person spent looking for the deal. Many make finding deals at least a part time job if not full time.

On size: size first, then shop. Spend a little time on google, take a few measurements, and you will quickly become an expert.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-04-18 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-02-18, 05:50 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Looks to be in fine shape. Hard to tell about the tires, but they look fairly new. Her asking price is not unreasonable for a bike in that shape; she'll get it if she waits long enough. Don't expect her to let it go for $50. Assuming that it rides, shifts, and brakes ok, you shouldn't regret spending $100. Does it fit you? The only way to find out is to ride the bike. As long as the saddle height can be set so you have a very slight amount bend in your knees when the pedal is in the lowest position, it should be ok. That is a very general way to assess fit, but with a Sports, especially a step-through, you should not be too analytical about it.

Good luck
Old 08-02-18, 06:00 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
That's a fine looking Sports, judging from the one picture I see, but ike all Raleigh Sports, it probably weighs about 35 lbs.. Looks to have the 3 speed coaster brake rear hub and they are not highly regarded -- apparently the coaster brake feature doesn't always work. Adding a rear caliper brake would be a good idea.

As for size, the 19" Sports was the smallest (I think) offered and that comes out to about 48 - 49 cm. Trying to do internet bike fittings is a frought endeavor, but my guess is that it may fit you fine Just have to ride it.

As for value of the bike, that looks like a better bike than one might typically see for $50. $150 seems somewhat high, but it may depend on where you are. Drawbacks are that it probably hasn't actually been serviced and may need some maintenance and parts (tires, cables, etc). Also, the coaster brake hub and the replacement saddle, though by the time that bike was first sold, Raleigh had stopped putting good saddles on the bikes. Personally, if I needed another Raleigh Sports, that's one I'd be interested in and I'd be looking for somewhere around $75 -- maybe a bit more.
Old 08-02-18, 08:11 PM
ReadyRoose

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Electra Cruiser, Vista Duchess, Citizen Tokyo, 2 Rog Ponies, Farnichar , Azziri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please don't laugh, I thought if your feet were flat on the ground when in the saddle the bike fit? So basically your legs have to be somewhat bent at the knee? Also is this bike heavy like the Electra I will be putting up for sale?
Old 08-02-18, 08:20 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I shouldn't get caught up in the make of bike and the size? I always thought you sit in the saddle and feet flat on the ground and bike fits. Is it wise to get measured ?
Old 08-02-18, 08:24 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Pic assist. You remark about "the make and size." The Raleigh Sports is a classy and classic English 3-speed but it might not be the bike for every rider. Sizing can be flexible but this one is the smallest in a ladies' style frame. If you are on the small side it should be right for you.
Fitting rules change on a stepthrough frame. Standover height becomes moot. What matters, as always, is correct leg extension with the saddle adjusted to the right height. You do not reach the ground from the saddle when it's at the right height; you should be able to pedal the bike with your heels (this is not a recommendation, just an adjustment demonstration) at the right height. That bike appears to be in very nice condition. $150 might be a little steep but if you like it and want it, the price is not unreasonable. Looks like it might need new tires, so if you can buy the bike for $120 or a little less you'd have money for tires and the seller would not have given up too much.

I got two of mine for free and paid about $90 for the third (traded sample goods for it) and none is as nice as that one. I do not like coaster brakes but you may feel differently and others have mentioned that the Sturmey CB might have problems, but it might never have them.

Last edited by thumpism; 08-02-18 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 08:29 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the brakes are similar to my Electra? And sometimes they wont work? Then I have my OH CRAP moment. So I only need one rear caliper brake? Does that mean I have one hand break on the bike? Is that the saddle that was on the bike from Raleigh? Does the Sports take a special size tire like the Schwinn? And is it possible to get the all white or creme color tires? What color cables originally came on this Sports? Do you happen to know the year of this bike?
Old 08-02-18, 08:37 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW!!!!! I love your bikes. There is just something about these Raleigh I cant explain it. They are so classy. Like an expensive English vehicle. I instantly fell in love with the bike . I knew it wasn't beat up like some others. . She has been on vacation for three weeks so it gave me time to evaluate. She said there is some rust on the frame . There is a tiny bit on fenders. How can I add a rack on back? Where do i find a vintage Raleigh rack?
Old 08-02-18, 08:40 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you all ride your vintage bikes? I am purchasing this to ride it everyday? Is that good or bad. I worry about the paint. I detail my bikes just like i do my cars. I am OCD about it. I wax them and use tire wet for shine . I try to clean them after every ride. Is it ok to ride this or should i purchase a beater bike down the road?
Old 08-02-18, 08:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Any bike in decent shape can be ridden daily. It's what they were made for. Because of its alloy front brake and lever and its large rear reflector, I'd guess yours to be a '78, like my blue one. The rear hub should have a date code on it with two digits for the year and separate ones for the month. A vintage Raleigh rack, especially one in matching color, might be hard to find but eBay or pure luck in the real world will be your best bet. The universal Pletscher, as on my brown one, works fine and should last until you find a Raleigh piece.

Standard 26x1 3/8" tires, not special like Schwinn.
Yours has front hand brake and coaster brake rear hub.
I believe white or cream tires are available in that size but have not looked. I'm a gumwall guy if paying my own money.
Saddle probably not original but might have been changed at the request of the seller when she first bought the bike. Who knows?

Last edited by thumpism; 08-02-18 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 08:59 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...e5&oe=5BCF969B

Is this related to Raleigh? And is the bike in good shape? My girlfriend likes it.
Old 08-02-18, 09:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

The Wright's brand is generally known as the poor cousin to the Brooks brand, but only when speaking of genuine leather saddles. Mattress saddles like that Wright's are pretty much all the same and condition matters more than anything. I don't find them comfy.

Do some reading in the following thread to get grounded on these bikes.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-3-speeds.html
Old 08-02-18, 11:25 PM
desconhecido 

Originally Posted by thumpism
The Wright's brand is generally known as the poor cousin to the Brooks brand, but only when speaking of genuine leather saddles. Mattress saddles like that Wright's are pretty much all the same and condition matters more than anything. I don't find them comfy.

Do some reading in the following thread to get grounded on these bikes.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-3-speeds.html
+1 on the mattress saddles. They seem to be fine for about a mile and then start hurting me in places I didn't know I had.
Old 08-03-18, 09:41 AM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So there are hand brakes and the braking system with the pedals? I am confused from above speaking about the rear coaster caliper break. Is that included with the hand brakes?

Thanks for explaining the saddles, I wondered what the mattress saddle was all about.
Old 08-03-18, 09:42 AM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there only one hand brake? I cant tell by the picture.
Old 08-03-18, 11:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
That bike would get a lot more than $150 here in NYC.

Your legs should be straight when your feet are on the pedals. That means your feet cannot touch the ground. If both feet can reach the ground, then the saddle is too low, and your legs will be too bent when pedaling. If you're not comfortable with the saddle at the right height, then start with it too low, and develop more confidence over time.

There are handbrakes and coaster brakes. The coaster brake is the one that works when you back-pedal.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-03-18, 01:19 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
SUNBEAM Low Rider

Originally Posted by noglider
That bike would get a lot more than $150 here in NYC.

Your legs should be straight when your feet are on the pedals. That means your feet cannot touch the ground. If both feet can reach the ground, then the saddle is too low, and your legs will be too bent when pedaling. If you're not comfortable with the saddle at the right height, then start with it too low, and develop more confidence over time.

There are handbrakes and coaster brakes. The coaster brake is the one that works when you back-pedal.

Sorry , I couldn't resist being awkward and adding to the confusion.
Old 08-03-18, 02:03 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I could relate to your feelings right away when you said that there was just something about these Raleighs. You're right! They have this classy understated grace and a long history behind them. On top of that, they are nice to ride. I like that color. Raleigh called it Burgundy. In earlier years, these bikes came standard with Brooks leather saddles. In my opinion, these bikes deserve them and it was a shame when Raleigh started with the mattress saddles in the late 70s. At 5'1" I think the 19" frame would be the one for you. There is also quite a bit of adjustment in both the handlebar stem and the seat post. This bike does have a rear coaster brake and most of us here much prefer hand brakes, front and rear.
Here's a photo of both the gents and ladies Sports of 1970 with their dual hand brakes and leather saddles. Ahhhh perfection!

Last edited by BigChief; 08-03-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 03:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by ReadyRoose
Please don't laugh, I thought if your feet were flat on the ground when in the saddle the bike fit? So basically your legs have to be somewhat bent at the knee? Also is this bike heavy like the Electra I will be putting up for sale?
my general seat height fitting starting point:
  • you should position your saddle so that when you have the ball of you foot on the center line of the pedal axle and the pedal at the bottom of the rotation you should have a little bend in the knee (like you did so that you would not pass out in choir and fall off the risers)
  • Easiest way to get close is to extend you leg fully, put your heel on the pedal and set the seat from there. mark the seatpost hight
  • micro adjust after that
  • you don't want to be so high that your hips rock with pedaling.

as to question..... if the seatpost is extended as far as it will will go and you can put your feet on the ground while sitting in the saddle the bike is too small

to large is more difficult, but if the seat is at it's lowest and you cannot pedal with the ball of you foot on the peal and knees slightly bent and no pointing the toe it is too big

Old 08-03-18, 03:31 PM
desconhecido 

Originally Posted by ReadyRoose
Is there only one hand brake? I cant tell by the picture.
Sorry for the confusion. If you look at the picture you will see, on the left side of the rear hub, a little fixture extending from the hub forward along the bottom of the left chainstay. The fixture is chrome plated and about 4 - 6 " long and is clamped to the chainstay. That fixtures is the coaster brake reaction lever (or torque arm). Only coaster brakes, which work when you try to back pedal, have that fixture. It prevents the hub axle from rotating forward (CCW from the left) when you brake by back pedaling. I know this because when I was about 11, I learned what happens if you lose the bolt that holds the clamp that holds the fixture.

So, that's how I know it has the 3 speed coaster brake.

Most bikes with coaster brakes don't have any rim caliper brakes at all, but the Raleighs seem to all have just the front caliper brake. Because the Sturmey Archer coaster brake 3-speed hubs that Raleigh used are reputed to have unreliable brakes, some people with these hubs add a rear rim caliper brake. Some will even replace the hub with an ordinary 3-speed AW (model name) hub.

Anyway, if you look closely at the picture you will see only one brake lever (on the left) and a caliper on the front but only a fender attachment on the rear where the rear rim brake caliper would be, if it had a rear rim brake.

Like lots of things, this is all easy and readily apparent when you know the answer ahead of time. Otherwise, you have to ask for clarification, which is just about the only way to figure anything out.
Old 08-03-18, 06:41 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
There's another option if you feel a 19" frame is too tall. Raleigh Colts still have 26" wheels like the sports, but have a shorter 18" frame. Like this one

Raleigh Colt on eBay
Old 08-03-18, 10:41 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for information on sizing a bike. You make it easy to understand.
Old 08-03-18, 10:42 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is awesome.
Old 08-03-18, 11:48 PM
ReadyRoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9762100473109/

I know this Raleigh isn't vintage. Do you guys know anything about this model, it resembles the Vintage Sports? Is it a road bike or hybrid? Would this be good to take on local bike paths? Also, would the Vintage be good for that as well? According to the post it is a 19" frame.

As always thank you for helping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.