Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ride in the Rain Challenge

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 12-17-18, 07:58 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts

Given the threads on commuting in challenging weather, the initiative Ride in the Rain Challenge could be of some interest. The riders in the state of Washington are asked to register and log in as many bike trips as possible during November, the rainiest month in the state. The logic is that if they persist in November, they will be able to persist riding across the year. Some of us from the outside might question whether Seattle gets any real rains and not just pretty irrelevant mist. However, I am sure that some mountainous regions in the state have something reminding real rain and even snow in November. Many participants in the challenge come from UW.
Old 12-17-18, 08:04 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I ride everyday I can, regardless of weather.

Seattle gets 37.49" / year.

DAMN, that's a lot compared to the UK.
Old 12-17-18, 08:12 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I ride in the rain a handful times during the year. The biggest nuisance about that is trying to dry the clothes at work so I can wear them on the homeward trip. I can't imagine doing that on a regular basis, like multiple times per week.
Old 12-17-18, 08:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
52 inches per year here in Alpharetta, raining about 120 days vs 147 in Seattle. My own "ride in the rain challenge" is my daily commute.
Old 12-17-18, 08:43 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Portsmouth gets around 645 millimetres (25.4 in) of rain a year, with a minimum of 1 mm (0.04 in) of rain reported on 103 days a year.

My first 105 commutes here were dry.
Old 12-17-18, 10:42 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I don't know how this stacks up versus other places, but Northern Indiana averages 38" of rain yearly, and 33" of snow.

I have access to a closet where I can hang my damp clothes to dry while I'm working. I also keep a change of clothes at work, along with a towel. I may wait for heavy rain to pass before I leave home or work, but I ride.
Old 12-17-18, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,345 Posts
Isn't November already past?

We had some very nice weather in November. It is getting a bit worse now. I got drenched yesterday.
Old 12-17-18, 11:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

Wow. That's twice what we get here in Sacramento. We're also lucky in that it rarely rains between Easter and Halloween.
Old 12-17-18, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Well that did have it's down sides in the last few years, when dry lands caught fire..

What mask did you wear to ride, while the air was a smoky breathing hazard.. ?

PNW does have a Dry season, last year June to late September... we sent local fire crews down to Butte county..

Old 12-17-18, 04:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7335 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
52 inches per year here in Alpharetta, raining about 120 days vs 147 in Seattle. My own "ride in the rain challenge" is my daily commute.
Wow, that's more than we get. NYC gets 45" of rain a year. We have fewer rainy days than Seattle, but we get more rain per hour when it rains.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-17-18, 04:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Wow. That's twice what we get here in Sacramento. We're also lucky in that it rarely rains between Easter and Halloween.
Down in San Diego, also usually rain-free between Easter/Halloween, but also usually rain-free from Halloween to Easter.

It rains so rarely here that, if I see it coming, I take the car. If I don't see it coming, I either get a little wet or a lot wet, depending on whether my Ikea poncho happens to be with me.

I spent a lovely summer in grad school doing a short-term research project at UW, and sublet a room in an apt just a mile or two north of campus. I don't remember it raining at all. I do remember playing a lot of ultimate on that quad downhill from the campus center, oriented with a fantastic view of Ranier.
Old 12-17-18, 04:37 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by noglider
Wow, that's more than we get. NYC gets 45" of rain a year. We have fewer rainy days than Seattle, but we get more rain per hour when it rains.
I spent my formative years in a place with less than half this annual on average, and even less because there was a drought, and coming to this was a radical adjustment. I felt like buying a canoe because it seemed like it just wouldn't stop.
Old 12-17-18, 05:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Seattle is behind a mountain and in front of a mountain range..

here Its 10 miles from the Ocean and to the west of here it's pretty flat .. the results of erosion sediments carried out of the mountains by the river,

Before the Dams and Jettys were built..

Yea , now with satellite imaging you can see the collision of warm tropical air colliding with cold arctic air masses..

West coast its a different story Hawaiian warm air full of moisture circulating upwards around a CCW rotating Low cell ... coming north..
cold air mass inland behind the cascade range .. mostly..
Old 12-17-18, 05:56 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I learned yesterday that a huge area starting just east of town was a huge swamp until the early 20th century. I had no idea. I had always assumed it was wooded before it was farmland. Swamp created by glacial retreat. Weird. You know, there’s no history here. Really none. It’s rare to see any building or object pre WW2. I felt so connected to history after my Europe trip many years ago. I mean there IS a history here but it has to do with the natives and it’s not much to boast about.
Old 12-17-18, 07:38 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I heard a comparison like this between Portland and Atlanta when I moved here. Atlanta got more rain in fewer days. The thing that people who don't live in the PNW may not recognize is how tightly packed together our rainy days are. It hardly ever rains here in the summer. In the late fall and early winter it rains almost every day. The year I moved here (1995) we had some amount of rain every single day in the month of November. It's one thing to say, "It's raining today, but I'm going to ride anyway," when you've had a week of dry commutes. It's quite another thing to say, "It's raining again today for the tenth day in a row, but I'm going to keep riding."

In some ways, this is easier. There is a mindset that if you don't ride in the rain you'll hardly ever ride. On the other hand, if you aren't committed to riding every day it can be really easy to get in a mode where you start cherry-picking the dry days and you look back and see that you've only biked to work seven times in a month (my actual total for November).
Old 12-17-18, 08:31 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

Thing is, rain in inches/year doesn't really tell the whole story; Some cities get more rain in one day than others get from rain in a month.

For example, London can get 23 inches (583 mm) of rain annually. However, some places in Florida can get 16" (406 mm) of rain in one day! When we think rain, we can't forget about intensity.
Old 12-17-18, 10:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Home . just now, maybe a mile, into the wind, good rain gear, no problem..

20 years ago I toured western Ireland, starting in late February, then, I lived in my rain gear for a few months..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-18-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 10:44 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I rarely ride in the rain, first because it rarely rains in Phoenix, and second because when it does rain it rains really hard. We get maybe 10" for the year, but that all comes in about 10 days and mostly only about an hour of rain each of those days following huge dust storms. I don't really want to be caught out in the dust storm or the rain storm.
Old 12-17-18, 10:59 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
All things are relative

Originally Posted by RoadKill
I rarely ride in the rain, first because it rarely rains in Phoenix, and second because when it does rain it rains really hard. We get maybe 10" for the year, but that all comes in about 10 days and mostly only about an hour of rain each of those days following huge dust storms. I don't really want to be caught out in the dust storm or the rain storm.
I used to live in the southeast. When I moved to LA, people would say its raining hard. I'd look out the window and start laughing. I'm reminded of the Crocodile Dundee saying, "that's not a knife".
Old 12-18-18, 01:48 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Thing is, rain in inches/year doesn't really tell the whole story; Some cities get more rain in one day than others get from rain in a month.

For example, London can get 23 inches (583 mm) of rain annually. However, some places in Florida can get 16" (406 mm) of rain in one day! When we think rain, we can't forget about intensity.
Yeah, that's why I posted this later in the thread.

with a minimum of 1 mm (0.04 in) of rain reported on 103 days a year.
Old 12-18-18, 08:31 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Im about 90 miles south east of Seattle in the mountains off rt 12. We get between 55-60 inches of rain a year where we live. 95% of that rain comes between late October and early April. From June - Sept the weather is amazing and it almost never rains.

We do get some breaks in the winter with sunny days few and far between. I'll go riding if its "wet" out, meaning its a light rain to heavy drizzle/mist. But I dont care to go out when it starts downpouring. And we do have quite a few days where it just comes down for an hour at a time.

Ive lived in Orlando, Fl before and thats a stark contrast to here when talking of rain. It would rain everyday in the summer when I lived there. That rain came in the afternoon in the form of violent thunderstorms and a half inch of rain in about 30-45 minutes. An hour later the sun was out and everything was drying up.

This year Im trying to get out as much as I can in the winter. I bought a winter specific bike in the form of gravelesque that fits wider tires, has fenders and disc brakes. So far, so good. It holds up well in the rain and I dont find myself fearful of descents.

No commutes here though. The only reason to go out is to get a ride in.

-Sean
Old 12-18-18, 09:06 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I heard a comparison like this between Portland and Atlanta when I moved here. Atlanta got more rain in fewer days. The thing that people who don't live in the PNW may not recognize is how tightly packed together our rainy days are. It hardly ever rains here in the summer. In the late fall and early winter it rains almost every day. The year I moved here (1995) we had some amount of rain every single day in the month of November. It's one thing to say, "It's raining today, but I'm going to ride anyway," when you've had a week of dry commutes. It's quite another thing to say, "It's raining again today for the tenth day in a row, but I'm going to keep riding."

In some ways, this is easier. There is a mindset that if you don't ride in the rain you'll hardly ever ride. On the other hand, if you aren't committed to riding every day it can be really easy to get in a mode where you start cherry-picking the dry days and you look back and see that you've only biked to work seven times in a month (my actual total for November).
We get a lot of those .01"-.1" days and that's where our stat of "120 days of rain per year" comes from but that's not the realistic picture. I might not even get wet on those "rainy" days, and when I do I might not really even notice especially in the summer. When it sets in and rains for a day or two or three is how we get most of it. So while I'm riding in "rain" seemingly all the time, I only catch the real heavy rain 4 or 5 times a year.
Old 12-18-18, 09:10 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Yeah I would NOT want to ride in the summer pm storms in Florida. I don’t think I’d want to ride at all in Florida in the summer. At least not far from the coast.
Old 12-18-18, 09:17 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

In my experience in Seattle, where by now I spent maybe 1y of time worth, the rain has been pretty spread out, primarily a drizzle that those of us used to hard rains mostly ignore. In my area in Michigan rains come down hard for about 10 min and then it turns to a lighter rain that may last for hours. Most people wait out those 10min under some cover. The hardest rains I experienced were during typhoons on Japanese eastern coasts including the area later most hardly hit by the 2011 tsunami. Under typhoon, the hard rain extended for 2-3 days and the lighter rain for 2-3 weeks. During the hard rain you would get completely soaked when walking one block under an umbrella. Amazingly, even though trucks were getting overturned on freeways during those few days, people were going normally about their business. I did not ride then and did not see people riding then - it would have been very rough. I did ride though during hard rains in Rwanda. Under equatorial sun Lake Victoria evaporates and clouds carry all that water over Rwanda. The rains there are mostly hard and if you ride farther out you may find it impossible to schedule the ride to avoid them. Elaborate drain system is constructed and maintained by the roads to take all that water out. There is plenty of erosion caused by the water coming down. The water then flows back towards the Lake Victoria which feeds the Nile. When you ride your clothes are saturated with water mixed with red mud brought by the water.

Last edited by 2_i; 12-18-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 10:20 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
We have pretty dreary weather in Pittsburgh. We're near the top of the list for annual cloud cover. I was surprised though that our average annual rainfall is pretty well... average. ~38" and 80 rainy days. This year may set a new record, though. We've had 160 rainy days and a total of 55" so far. The previous record was 57" in 2004 and there's some rain in the forecast for much of the rest of the year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.