Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Future of Fuji Bicycles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Future of Fuji Bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 09:14 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I wouldn't be surprised if Cannondale bought out Fuji.

Well, it isn't really Cannondale, but rather Dorel Industries.

Fuji might complement the brand, providing kid's bikes (Fuji Ace), and perhaps bikes one tier below the Cannondales, but above the Pacific Cycle bikes.
i like this idea.
Old 02-01-19, 09:46 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I love my Fuji too, in fact I've been riding it since I bought it used about 10 years ago, but this Fuji I have was made when Fuji was a real company and not a decal.
Old 02-01-19, 10:34 PM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have a 2018 Jari 1.5 with the SRAM Apex1x setup. Great bike! Though they did downgrade the components this year slapping on Tiagra and saving the SRAM for their 1.3 model so I’m glad I picked up a 2018. lol
Old 02-01-19, 11:25 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sad to see Fuji on the block again... still love my old Altamira SL

Old 02-02-19, 06:07 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by luevelvet
I have a 2018 Jari 1.5 with the SRAM Apex1x setup. Great bike! Though they did downgrade the components this year slapping on Tiagra and saving the SRAM for their 1.3 model so I’m glad I picked up a 2018. lol
i have a Fuji Jari

Great Bike. I hope the Fuji Brand makes it.
Old 02-03-19, 02:42 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
At this point, I might think they would be more interested in Breezer. It gives them some appeal in a different part of the market. I don't see Fuji giving them anything they don't already have.
They already sell Kestrels, maybe both Fuji and Breezer is their future.
Old 02-03-19, 04:08 PM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
They already sell Kestrels, maybe both Fuji and Breezer is their future.
I’m still a little bummed I didn’t buy their Kestrel tri bike for 799 the last week Performance were open. Was worth it even if it needed a few upgrades to be awesome but I just couldn’t justify spending money on such a limited purpose bike. :-/
Old 02-03-19, 06:42 PM
GrizzlyPeaks

Bikes: 2015 Felt z85 Aluminum frame carbon fork full 11 speed 105 + 2015 Carbon Fuji sst 2.0 full Ultegra, Reynolds assault Ltd wheels and 3t AeroNova Bars

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope they make it out. I’m a fan of brands like felt and Fuji bikes. They offer much more bike for the price. You can pay 5,000+ for a carbon trek with Ultegra or get a top level felt/Fuji that has electronic shifting and is lighter for a little over 1/2 the price.
Old 02-03-19, 08:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I wouldn't be surprised if Cannondale bought out Fuji.

Well, it isn't really Cannondale, but rather Dorel Industries.

Fuji might complement the brand, providing kid's bikes (Fuji Ace), and perhaps bikes one tier below the Cannondales, but above the Pacific Cycle bikes.
Fuji ace kids bike is the one bike I hope does not make the cut if/when the Fuji brand is bought by a new company.
the quality for the price is simply not there at all. Goodness its low end stuff for the price
Old 02-03-19, 08:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Fuji ace kids bike is the one bike I hope does not make the cut if/when the Fuji brand is bought by a new company.
the quality for the price is simply not there at all. Goodness its low end stuff for the price
I think I saw them on sale at Performance for about $350 to $400 or so. You're right, the bikes probably should have been priced closer to the $200 to $250 Walmart bikes.

I posted some photos earlier showing the bottom bracket as-found, full of chunks of aluminum.

Our LBS had a Little Giant for a bit more. I'm not sure an 8 or 9 year old is ready for brifters. Stem shifters got a lot of grief, but might well be the ticket for young riders.

I do think we need inexpensive 24" and 650c bicycles.

My nephew was growing like a weed, I wish I hadn't given him a 24, and had gone directly to the 650c.
Old 02-04-19, 02:11 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Fuji is just a name. Someone will end up owning it. No guarantee that future Fujis will be similar to old Fujis.
Bikes Direct they already have Motobecane which uses last years Fuji models anyhow. So what’s the difference?
Old 02-04-19, 02:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Tiger Capital Group and Advanced Holdings Co. LTD jointly formed BikeCo, a new company. BikeCo has bought the ASE trademarks including Fuji, Kestrel, Breezer and SE, which are now spun off from Performance/Nashbar, which is being bought by Amain.

What BikeCo will do with the trademarks is anybody's guess since it has no track record as a producer, but the fate of the trademarks is now divorced from that of Nashbar and Performance.
Old 02-04-19, 03:04 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Carverbiker
Fuji had some of the best bang for the buck bikes in my opinion.
I agree. I just bought a Fuji Transonic 2.3 for $1,120 two weeks ago. Sure they list a price at $2500 (which no one pays) but usually sold it for around $1500. Carbon Fiber frame, Oval crank, stem, and wheels, and the rest being Ultegra. Has a 52/36 up front and an 11 speed 11-28 cassette. I've only been out on it once for a 30 mile ride but really liked it. The stock saddle is ok but I planned on swapping that out anyway for a saddle on my other bike that I really like. I'm not really used to the narrow bars and like the wider ones on my other bike better. If I do decide to get wider bars I'll probably get a carbon bar.

Bottom line. Where else are you going to get a carbon fiber frame and mostly all Ultegra components for under $1120?
Old 02-04-19, 03:22 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
So as part of the deal, Spesh buys ASE's "Roubaix" mark. I guess now they can really sue the pants off people.

scott s.
Old 02-04-19, 03:31 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Fuji?

Dey shoulda kept to film bruv.
Old 02-04-19, 07:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Just got back form a spin ion my Fuji Sportiv, which I bought on a triple points weekend at a ridiculously low price. Superb value,. I almost bought a Yari ... from everything I have heard, and equally amazing value. I ride with some much more serious riders who bought Fujis for the same reason----every bit as good as the Big Four, and cheaper..

If those days are over, so be it. But if I owned the name, I'd want to keep the market share by continuing the same strategy---selling good stuff a bit below the Big Four, for people who did a bit more research and weren't as concerned with the decal on the down tube as with the bike underneath them.
Old 02-04-19, 07:29 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
The group that bought the assets is a liquidator. They will sell everything that is sellable and as far as I know there is no physical fuji bike factory so that is really just selling the name and whatever inventory is there, but maybe someone else buys that. I would guess the name has enough value that someone will buy it. It could be some company that wants to build great bikes and it could be a big box retailer or online seller that is going to stick the name on the lowest cost POS they can put together. We'll find out when it happens.
Old 02-04-19, 07:36 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Just got back form a spin ion my Fuji Sportiv, which I bought on a triple points weekend at a ridiculously low price. Superb value,. I almost bought a Yari ... from everything I have heard, and equally amazing value. I ride with some much more serious riders who bought Fujis for the same reason----every bit as good as the Big Four, and cheaper..

If those days are over, so be it. But if I owned the name, I'd want to keep the market share by continuing the same strategy---selling good stuff a bit below the Big Four, for people who did a bit more research and weren't as concerned with the decal on the down tube as with the bike underneath them.
i enjoy a fuji touring bicycle, great bike. hate to see the name go as has schwinn. in schwinn's case, would have been good for trek to buy the company and keep the quality high to mid.

i like used bikes now, seems better to just look for 105 or better equipped used bikes, which may be a better sign of quality vs brand names.
Old 02-05-19, 08:25 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I agree. I just bought a Fuji Transonic 2.3 for $1,120 two weeks ago. Sure they list a price at $2500 (which no one pays) but usually sold it for around $1500. Carbon Fiber frame, Oval crank, stem, and wheels, and the rest being Ultegra. Has a 52/36 up front and an 11 speed 11-28 cassette. I've only been out on it once for a 30 mile ride but really liked it. The stock saddle is ok but I planned on swapping that out anyway for a saddle on my other bike that I really like. I'm not really used to the narrow bars and like the wider ones on my other bike better. If I do decide to get wider bars I'll probably get a carbon bar.

Bottom line. Where else are you going to get a carbon fiber frame and mostly all Ultegra components for under $1120?
Same here, there's no better deal out there for an aero bike with almost full Ultegra. I upgraded the wheels, seat, bars/stem, and did an Ultegra crank, bike is down to 16.5lbs and I've still got less in it than most people pay for a set of wheels (all parts purchased new, I know you can get all that cheaper used).
Old 02-05-19, 08:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
The group that bought the assets is a liquidator. They will sell everything that is sellable and as far as I know there is no physical fuji bike factory so that is really just selling the name and whatever inventory is there, but maybe someone else buys that. I would guess the name has enough value that someone will buy it. It could be some company that wants to build great bikes and it could be a big box retailer or online seller that is going to stick the name on the lowest cost POS they can put together. We'll find out when it happens.

That's incorrect. One of the two companies that set up BikeCo is a liquidator--Tiger Group. The other one, Advance Holdings, LTD actually owns a lot of manufacturing and marketing assets. BikeCo appears to be a joint venture by them to produce and/or market bikes under at least some of the ASE trademarks. My guess is that Tiger Group is looking to diversify from just being a liquidator as there has to be an end to huge retailer meltdowns at some point.

If it was just liquidation of the trademarks, creating BikeCo and bringing in a manufacturer/marketer into the deal would be unnecessary.
Old 02-05-19, 11:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

If it was just liquidation of the trademarks, creating BikeCo and bringing in a manufacturer/marketer into the deal would be unnecessary.
We can hope ... maybe Tiger Group (or a member thereof) knew people from other deals whose companies were willing to toss in some cash for a share of the resale price. We shall see.
Old 02-05-19, 12:37 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
That's incorrect. One of the two companies that set up BikeCo is a liquidator--Tiger Group. The other one, Advance Holdings, LTD actually owns a lot of manufacturing and marketing assets. BikeCo appears to be a joint venture by them to produce and/or market bikes under at least some of the ASE trademarks. My guess is that Tiger Group is looking to diversify from just being a liquidator as there has to be an end to huge retailer meltdowns at some point.

More likely that Tiger group and Advanced agreed on who was going to get what prior to making the bid. It would make sense that Advanced would want some or all of the brands but that is just speculation. If they do end up making bikes under the Fuji name, there is no guarantee they are going to target the same market. Time will tell.
Old 02-05-19, 01:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

More likely that Tiger group and Advanced agreed on who was going to get what prior to making the bid. It would make sense that Advanced would want some or all of the brands but that is just speculation. If they do end up making bikes under the Fuji name, there is no guarantee they are going to target the same market. Time will tell.

I'd agree with that except they set up a new entity called BikeCo as a joint venture that will own the brands. It's possible BikeCo will sell off some of the brands (who knows?), but it's clear that Tiger and Advanced are doing more together than just splitting up assets, otherwise there's no need for BikeCo..

As you note, these names might be put on just about anything. Breezer Jari e-bike, anyone?
Old 02-06-19, 03:41 AM
Maelochs

....., there is no guarantee they are going to target the same market. Time will tell.
That is the crux of the matter. They could go Walmart, they could go for high-end of the BSO market .... or could be like Raleigh, htting the low-to-mid entry market with reasonably priced bikes. They could start producing flashy trash in an effort to elevate sales---one of the things I liked about Fuji is they were rather understated compared to the "name as large as possible on every surface" graphics of some companies. They could try to target teenage riders with crazy names and graphics, or aim at the e-bike market. or, they could sell the name to Bikes Direct.

I liked Fuji as they were .... and i am not sanguine that they shall stay that. But as others have said, only time will tell.
Old 07-12-19, 10:59 AM
El Davisimo

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Fuji Absolute. Wife has: Ridley Noah, Brompton

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The company that now owns Fuji is Tiger Group. They seem to be doing nothing with all their brands (Fuji and Kestrel being the biggest). If I were Shimano, I'd be looking to buy Fuji bikes off of them and bring the brand back to Japan. Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.