Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Future of Fuji Bicycles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Future of Fuji Bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 05:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by El Davisimo
The company that now owns Fuji is Tiger Group. They seem to be doing nothing with all their brands (Fuji and Kestrel being the biggest). If I were Shimano, I'd be looking to buy Fuji bikes off of them and bring the brand back to Japan. Just my 2 cents.
What should the holding company be doing that isn't happening?

As for shimano buying fuji... they aren't a bike company, they are a components company. That's their wheelhouse.
Old 07-16-19, 08:21 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
The name Fuji has enough brand equity that it will surely re-emerge under new ownership. I just hope that BikesDirect doesn't acquire the rights because they will ruin it with triple cranksets and braze-ons galore, and bad geometry.
Does BikesDirect do any design work? I'm familiar with them as a reseller but I don't really know what they do outside of that.

I should swing by the LBS and see what he's doing - as far as I'm aware, he is (or was) an all-Fuji shop, excepting the BMX bikes.
Old 07-17-19, 10:01 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
The name Fuji has enough brand equity that it will surely re-emerge under new ownership. I just hope that BikesDirect doesn't acquire the rights because they will ruin it with triple cranksets and braze-ons galore, and bad geometry.
Funny way to look at it... Not so much with geometry, but triples and braze-ons was very much the style of the original Fuji - back when they were made in Japan and not just stickers applied to generic bikes (as they have been since the mid-90s).
Old 07-17-19, 10:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Funny way to look at it... Not so much with geometry, but triples and braze-ons was very much the style of the original Fuji - back when they were made in Japan and not just stickers applied to generic bikes (as they have been since the mid-90s).
The "current" Fuji touring bike--with its triple and brazeons--is considered a legit ride for the task. Especially attractive to the budget conscious.

As you demonstrate, dude doesn't know his history or the present. Either that or he's deliberately posting inaccurate information.
Old 07-17-19, 10:22 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by El Davisimo
The company that now owns Fuji is Tiger Group. They seem to be doing nothing with all their brands (Fuji and Kestrel being the biggest). If I were Shimano, I'd be looking to buy Fuji bikes off of them and bring the brand back to Japan. Just my 2 cents.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What should the holding company be doing that isn't happening?

As for shimano buying fuji... they aren't a bike company, they are a components company. That's their wheelhouse.
Also, Shimano is not a non-profit that exists as a make-work project for Japanese industry - if they owned the Fuji brand and it made more $$ sense to have them manufactured in China or Malaysia or wherever, then that's what Shimano would do... as they do with their own parts.
Old 07-18-19, 06:12 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I wouldn't be surprised if Cannondale bought out Fuji.

Well, it isn't really Cannondale, but rather Dorel Industries.

Fuji might complement the brand, providing kid's bikes (Fuji Ace), and perhaps bikes one tier below the Cannondales, but above the Pacific Cycle bikes.
This would be practical. Position Fuji as one tier below Cannondale, sold in LBS who have Cannondale dealerships. A good line to sell as a lower end alternative to Cannondale, and get that customer. A rational fit. I like this thinking.
Old 07-18-19, 06:17 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T
This would be practical. Position Fuji as one tier below Cannondale, sold in LBS who have Cannondale dealerships. A good line to sell as a lower end alternative to Cannondale, and get that customer. A rational fit. I like this thinking.
Good possibility