Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I ride differently now

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I ride differently now

Old 05-11-19, 11:23 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I ride differently now

Winter cycling has changed the way I ride. My rear gears don't shift as well on my old bike when it gets really cold and snowy. What I found, is that I stick it in 3rd or 4th gear, and then shift the front chain rings. And I like it. On my good bike, most the time I'm in 3rd thru 6th and I just change the front chain ring. Last year I thought I needed more gears in back and less in front. Now I actually like my setup. Has your riding evolved? How and why.
Old 05-11-19, 12:26 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
My riding and my bikes have definitely evolved over the years. My bikes have either a more relaxed geometry or the cockpit is set up to be more upright and forgiving. A big change in the drive train is having less tooth count in the chain rings, or at least the big ring. I have one bike with 48/34 compact and my commuter/errands bike with 46/34. I have a titanium Airborne Zeppelin roadie that still has 53 T big, but matched it with a 39 T instead of 42 T T. My old steel Ochsner, which I am just about finished re-building, is going to be changed to 50/38. That set up I am going to try, and if I like it, I will keep it. I still like to ride at a quick pace, but not all the time. The changes have been made to put less stress on my lower back, neck shoulders and knees. I have not done much to the cassettes other than having a few that I can switch according to where I will be riding and the conditions. I also use wider tires, especially on my Schwinn SS DBX, up to 37 mm.,and the Orbea Avant MD 40, up to 32s. My ti and steel road bikes can only fit up to 25 mm tires and I wish I could go up to 28 mm. I also stop more often just to stretch, get a snack, take a picture or whatever reason.
Old 05-11-19, 12:35 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
My riding and my bikes have definitely evolved over the years. My bikes have either a more relaxed geometry or the cockpit is set up to be more upright and forgiving. A big change in the drive train is having less tooth count in the chain rings, or at least the big ring. I have one bike with 48/34 compact and my commuter/errands bike with 46/34. I have a titanium Airborne Zeppelin roadie that still has 53 T big, but matched it with a 39 T instead of 42 T T. My old steel Ochsner, which I am just about finished re-building, is going to be changed to 50/38. That set up I am going to try, and if I like it, I will keep it. I still like to ride at a quick pace, but not all the time. The changes have been made to put less stress on my lower back, neck shoulders and knees. I have not done much to the cassettes other than having a few that I can switch according to where I will be riding and the conditions. I also use wider tires, especially on my Schwinn SS DBX, up to 37 mm.,and the Orbea Avant MD 40, up to 32s. My ti and steel road bikes can only fit up to 25 mm tires and I wish I could go up to 28 mm. I also stop more often just to stretch, get a snack, take a picture or whatever reason.
28 mm Panaracer Gravel Kings and Paselelas run narrow, around 26 mm, and so all of my road bikes that can't clear a "real" 28, can clear these tires with ease. My 1988 Cannondale road bike has horizontal dropouts and I have to fight the seat stays a bit, but can just barely cram a 28 mm Gravel King past them, and once the tire is clamped in, I have several mm's clearance below the rear brake calipers.
Old 05-11-19, 12:43 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Thanks for that info. I tried Pasella TGs 28s on my steel bike and they were okay until temperatures in the 70s. When they expanded they would not clear the front caliper brake and the seat stay bridge. I saw tires that were listed as being 27 mm, I believe they were a Michelin brand, that I was going to try, but have not yet. I like the looks of the Gravel Kings and they certainly get good reviews.
Old 05-11-19, 01:14 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
From September 2010 to March 2017, I did all of my road/distance riding on a fixed gear bicycle. I had a geared bike for winter/utility riding, but my main commuting and road cycling miles were on a heavy, steel fixed gear.

Going back to gears kind of broke me - I started overusing the gears, thinking I needed tiny gears for climbing and huge gears for descending (though I actually do need the latter). After ~9,000 geared miles, I've learned that grinding up hills a bit is okay, and tucking to descend can do as much as spinning out a large gear.

I also wimped out and un-fixed my single speed. After descending with a freewheel, I decided that trying to spin at 30MPH really is not that much fun. I may go fixed again once I move to an area without long/steep hills.
Old 05-11-19, 02:35 PM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-11-19, 04:57 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Here's what 700 x 28 mm Panaracer Gravel Kings with file tread look like on my Cannondale. I think I'm pretty much maxxed out, TBH. They're fairly narrow tires for 28's, I would say they are closer to 26 mm. Not sure if the pic shows that or not.

Old 05-12-19, 07:45 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I agree with Baldilocks about using the front chainring more. I tried using the my 28/38/48 chainring more out of curiosity. My perception has always been that they are slow and prone to chain drops from limited past experience. But I found with a little patience, The Shimano Altus chainring derailleur on my Giant Sedona is both quick enough for 95% of my riding and for the most part trouble free.

It adds a whole new dimension to shifting. I love having the option of making big ratio jumps in one step for those short, but steep inclines, descending the other side on the trail, and for short quick accelerations. While the cassette's much more closely spaced gears are as valuable as ever to set the most efficient cadence for longer cruises under any condition. These 3 x ? may not be very stylish, But they make bike riding a real pleasure.

Truth be told I would have bought Giants Cypress 1 x 7 if its cassette sprockets were more closely matched. I do love the simplicity and clean appearance. But the jump from 24 - 34T is too high IMO. With 34 being to low for many inclines, And 24 being too high.
Old 05-12-19, 09:33 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Originally Posted by delbiker1
How many miles do you have on the Airborne Zeppelin ?
My Airborne Zeppelin developed a crack on frame at down tube bottom bracket after about 70-80K miles.
That was several years ago and still sits stripped to bare frame waiting to be sent to the recyclers.
Old 05-12-19, 01:42 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

I bought my Zeppelin from E-bay, used, in 2017. I believe it is 2004 or 2005. It was in great shape and I do not think it had all that many miles on it when I purchased it. I have put maybe 8,000 miles on it since then. I know that frames failing was a problem with Airborne bikes. I got the bike for under 6 bills and have about another $600 invested in it. I am getting up there age wise and I think it will last longer than I will. If not, I am ok with that. Thanks for your post and picture.
Old 05-12-19, 05:11 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Here's what 700 x 28 mm Panaracer Gravel Kings with file tread look like on my Cannondale. I think I'm pretty much maxxed out, TBH. They're fairly narrow tires for 28's, I would say they are closer to 26 mm. Not sure if the pic shows that or not.

Can you please get shots from the front of the fork showing the clearance and from the back of the seat stay bridge showing the clearance there? Thanks
Old 05-13-19, 03:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
Has your riding evolved? How and why.
I started with recreational cycling.
I eased into the low end of long distance cycling.
I ventured into racing.
I decided randonneuring/audax was more my style.
And I added touring to the mix.
Plus commuting and utility cycling at times.
Now I'm back with recreational cycling ... and have hopes to ease into the low end of long distance cycling again.
Old 05-13-19, 05:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I ride differently now,
Winter cycling has changed the way I ride…Has your riding evolved? How and why.
Following @Machka 's biographical approach, on a longer term assessment over the course of my adult cycling lifestyle starting around 1971, I posted in my introduction to Bike Forums in 2008, with addenda:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture.

In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula…

After the birth of our son in 1988, I have pretty much been a year–round commuter only, but in the past few years I have done a century or two a year and I follow a ten week training program for centuries published long ago in Bicycling Magazine.

I have a really great commute that belies, IMO, the image of Boston as a city unfriendly to bicycling…

Addendum: Since joining Bike Forums, I have also ridden on the Second Annual Fifty Plus Ride at Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes Region in 2010 in conjunction with the (NY) Southern Tier Bicycle Club; and with the Third Annual Ride in Chelsea MI in 2011, called "One Helluva Ride," sponsored by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society.

Also since subscribing, I have adapted to riding my Cannondale Mountain Bike in rain and winter precipitation, including on icy roads, thanks to advice from the Forums.

Second Addendum: On June 1, 2012 I was hit from behind by a car while commuting home on a Friday evening. I was off work for three months, and off the bike for five. See this post, “One of our own was hit Friday Night,” with my first reply a few weeks later:

The Bridgestone was totaled in the accident, and in April of 2013, I bought a Specialized S-Works.

Third Addendum:
On 7/28/13, I was the "host" for a Fifth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride held in the Metropolitan Boston area.

Fourth Addendum:
On 7/26/14, we did the Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride again in Boston.

Fifth Addendum:
We did the Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Rides in Chelsea, MI on 7/11/15, and in Raystown, PA on 10/10/15.

Sixth Addendum:
In August this year of 2016, I bought an aluminum Specialized Diverge to use as a new. lighter beater bike, and reserve the heavy duty Cannondale MB for Winter riding, with studded tires.

For the past three weeks though, I have had plantar fasciitis, and it's too painful to just stretch my left foot to mount any bike, so I've ridden it just two blocks….

See also this summary:
...I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride...

I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:...

• the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  • the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise...
:
2016 was actually a good year, because I engaged in a fitness challenge.
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You must WIN, Jim. Do whatever it takes ... must win...
Thanks for your encouragement, @Phil_gretz. The Challenge ended on June 4, and I came in third place of about 40 participants, and our team came in first, by a hair-breadth…

Those standings were released every week, and the competition was very motivating with very beneficial effects. Now that it’s over I am trying to ride at least about 150 miles per week through the summer; 147 miles last week.
2017 was also a good year
...… My riding (commuting) is somewhat stymied by work, but this summer I did make the acquaintance of a well-matched weekend cycling companion.
Last year though
...This year however has been a bust because this winter I developed a weakness in my neck muscles supporting my head upright (perhaps due to a two month unavoidable layoff) on my previously well-fitted bikes.

I had a subsequent fitting on both, with some handlebar adjustments. I recently got an exercise consultation for neck, shoulder and core muscles, and was given an exercise routine, that takes a big chunk of 50 minutes to perform. Exercise may fix it, but that’s a long-term solution.

All these remedies have barely allow me to ride my minimum 14 mile one-way commute with slight discomfort near the end. By this time of the year I'm doing weekly 50-60 mile rides easily, and even training for a Century.

Just yesterday, I rented a hybrid style bike with flat handlebars, and was comfortable on the commute...[and subsequently bought one]
2019 is a rebuilding year, and as noted above commuting is my primary cycling opportunity, though
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week.

During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-13-19 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 10:55 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Winter cycling has changed the way I ride. My rear gears don't shift as well on my old bike when it gets really cold and snowy. What I found, is that I stick it in 3rd or 4th gear, and then shift the front chain rings. And I like it. On my good bike, most the time I'm in 3rd thru 6th and I just change the front chain ring. Last year I thought I needed more gears in back and less in front. Now I actually like my setup. Has your riding evolved? How and why.
I haven't ridden it in years, but I found something similar on my road bike when I commuted to and from work - on the way home I have a somewhat steep hill (steep for me anyways) that I found the best way to tackle was to stay in about half way on the sprocket (I think 6th) and just drop a chainring.

Really ought to get that bike back on the road, honestly.

M.