Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A Tale of Two Tri-Flows

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

A Tale of Two Tri-Flows

Old 05-31-19, 05:29 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
A Tale of Two Tri-Flows

One on the left is better

Booooooo

Old 05-31-19, 08:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
21 years difference? Look at the dates.
Different owners/manfs.
You expect it to be exactly the same.
What was the question?
Old 06-01-19, 09:24 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
What no Tri Flon represented???

Side bar story- When TriFlon first came to the bike industry (about 1978) the brand sent out samples and a Guns and Ammo mag reprint. We all tried the new stuff and were fairly impressed given that the common chain lube was SA oil or auto stuff. But it was the article reprint that convinced us. The claims of increased automatic firing rate and lessened carbon build up with the M16s the mag used as their test "vehicle" spoke to us. If TriFlon was good enough for a machine gun it was fine for a bike chain. It was shortly later that TriFlon had to change it's name to something that sounded less like "Teflon". Yes, we had cease and desist letters too back then Andy
Old 06-01-19, 11:20 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
What makes you think the product inside is any different? Because the parent company is different? Because they now say PTFE rather than the trademarked TEFLON?
Old 06-01-19, 12:49 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
21 years difference? Look at the dates.
Different owners/manfs.
You expect it to be exactly the same.
What was the question?
Easy does it fella. There was no "question", an observational statement was made. As per the OP, the viscosity is different between the two "identical" products. I remember this difference clearly from using the older stuff from long ago. The older stuff had different viscosity even when it was purchased new.

In as clear a wording as I can make it: the new stuff doesn't last as long compared to the old. It's been thinned down. So, if there is some NOS old Tri-Flow bottles on a shelf somewhere, buy them, but only if good Tri-Flow is your thing.
Old 06-01-19, 12:56 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Easy does it fella. There was no "question", an observational statement was made. As per the OP, the viscosity is different between the two "identical" products. I remember this difference clearly from using the older stuff from long ago. The older stuff had different viscosity even when it was purchased new.

In as clear a wording as I can make it: the new stuff doesn't last as long compared to the old. It's been thinned down. So, if there is some NOS old Tri-Flow bottles on a shelf somewhere, buy them, but only if good Tri-Flow is your thing.
You didn't say ANYTHING in your 1st post.
Ignore List.
Old 06-01-19, 03:45 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...10090301008005

Diluted 4 to 1 with unscented mineral spirits. It's inexpensive and meant to work in a much worse environment than a bike chain. For about $25 you can make 5 quarts and share it with your friends.
Old 06-02-19, 07:17 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

" https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...10090301008005

Diluted 4 to 1 with unscented mineral spirits. It's inexpensive and meant to work in a much worse environment than a bike chain. For about $25 you can make 5 quarts and share it with your friends."

Thanks Dave, that's an interesting idea. If you work with this homebrew solution have you found it attracts dust and debris anymoreso than a dedicated bike lube?
Old 06-02-19, 07:18 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Ignore List.
Hmmm. Hair trigger crackpot and/or Tri-Flow sales rep?
Old 06-02-19, 07:24 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...10090301008005

Diluted 4 to 1 with unscented mineral spirits. It's inexpensive and meant to work in a much worse environment than a bike chain. For about $25 you can make 5 quarts and share it with your friends.
Glad other people know that chainsaw bar&chain oil is a good thing for bicycles! I'm convinced Phil Wood Tenacious Oil is just bar&chain oil repackaged and marked up tenfold.
Old 06-02-19, 11:07 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
What's the actual difference? Here's my guess. They started using generic PTFE, and had to stop using DuPont's brand name. Also, the new formula is better if you tend to induce vomiting while oiling your bike.
Old 06-02-19, 02:18 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
hey there prairie, he's right, you didnt say anything of why or what or whatever.

now to the topic at hand, I'm fairly certain when I started using it , it was with the old graphics, but to be honest, I dont recall too much about how it worked , or should I say, I always liked it but havent noticed a diff with the newer bottles, specifically that it doesnt last as long.

Ive tried all kinds of lubes, and still find Triflow a happy medium of not too thin like the really thin (but super clean) ones, but not goopey like Phils (which I still like , especially for friends or neighbours who I know will never look at their chain again for six months after I clean and oil it, so at least those super thick lubes last a long time)

anyway, would be nice to compare yours, but I only have the newer stuff now......
Old 06-02-19, 06:46 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by djb
hey there prairie, he's right, you didnt say anything of why or what or whatever.

now to the topic at hand, I'm fairly certain when I started using it , it was with the old graphics, but to be honest, I dont recall too much about how it worked , or should I say, I always liked it but havent noticed a diff with the newer bottles, specifically that it doesnt last as long.

Ive tried all kinds of lubes, and still find Triflow a happy medium of not too thin like the really thin (but super clean) ones, but not goopey like Phils (which I still like , especially for friends or neighbours who I know will never look at their chain again for six months after I clean and oil it, so at least those super thick lubes last a long time)

anyway, would be nice to compare yours, but I only have the newer stuff now......
Hey - You're right! (and so was the uptight neurotic who first mentioned it). I had written accompanying text, kind of like a review, but it appears it never attached to the post. Hmmm. With this computer when writing on this forum I use the PaleMoon browser which has not always been reliable for some reason. Maybe it has to do with the forum timing out a log-in period if it senses the user is inactive. Oh well. I'll append the initial posting.
Old 06-02-19, 09:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
"and so was the uptight neurotic who first mentioned it" Perhaps that guy wasn't quite as uptight as you spout out about. It's these assumptions of personal conduct that drive us apart. Unless you are a good friend of Bill's why would you stoop to this low level? Andy
Old 06-02-19, 10:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts

Are you comparing the viscosity between a 20 year old product and a new product? Or have you measured the viscosity 20 years ago and have measured it now?

In the previous case, 20 years of sitting on a shelf in a polyethylene bottle will result in solvent loss. The bottle isn’t imperious to the amyl acetate and merely opening and closing the bottle will result in some solvent loss. Additionally, what if you left the bottle uncapped at some point? All these factors would result in solvent loss and increased viscosity.

If the latter is the case, why would you even measure the viscosity 20 years ago and now? Even if you did measure the viscosity are you sure that you have measured it the same way 20 years ago and now. Viscometry has changed somewhat over the intervening years and could result in measurement errors when comparing products with that large a age gap.

I’d suspect the former, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-02-19, 10:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Duly noted:

Furniture polish companies make better lubes than house paint companies.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-03-19, 10:00 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I recall first using it in 1977 or '78- back when viscosity counted for something!!!

Remember to shake- the P.T.F.E. settles.
Old 06-03-19, 05:14 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hi Andy, I would never block a guy for some comment like my own response let alone announce I was. It was an honest mistake on my part, but there was no sense in Bill behaving like a peloton primadonna. I did write the review but it never attached properly, unknown to me.
Cycco, I remember clearly how the original flowed when I first started using it 15 years ago and it always flowed the same way, even now. The new stuff is thinner, unquestionably, and requires more frequent applications to a chain in similar riding conditions. I prefer the Tri-Flow of old and in the missing review I mentioned that before application of the new stuff to a chain, I throw the bottle into the freezer beforehand. That way it isn't as watery, is easier to control during application and consume less product. With the old at room temperature, no problem in an easily controlled drop-by-drop application.
Maybe some other long term Tri-Flow users will weigh in on their observations.
Old 06-03-19, 05:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Hi Andy, I would never block a guy for some comment like my own response let alone announce I was. It was an honest mistake on my part, but there was no sense in Bill behaving like a peloton primadonna. I did write the review but it never attached properly, unknown to me.
Cycco, I remember clearly how the original flowed when I first started using it 15 years ago and it always flowed the same way, even now. The new stuff is thinner, unquestionably, and requires more frequent applications to a chain in similar riding conditions. I prefer the Tri-Flow of old and in the missing review I mentioned that before application of the new stuff to a chain, I throw the bottle into the freezer beforehand. That way it isn't as watery, is easier to control during application and consume less product. With the old at room temperature, no problem in an easily controlled drop-by-drop application.
Maybe some other long term Tri-Flow users will weigh in on their observations.
Memory can be a funny thing. That said, I don’t use Triflow for my personal bikes anymore but we use it at my local co-op. I don’t recall it as being any thicker or thinner than when I used it decades ago. I also don’t recall it as being especially durable compared to other products. I do recall it as being rather messy as are all oil lubricants. I’ve also used Phil’s Tenacious Oil which is definitely thicker and far messier.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-03-19, 06:38 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I remember when Triflon first came out back in 1978 or 1979. I was in college and working in a bike shop. Everyone I knew started using it because, well, it was new! And, it had Teflon! It must be good!

I used it for a long time until the mid 1980's came. By then more lubes were available for bikes but Triflow was now its name. I had four bottles of the old Triflon that got me through the 1980's and half way through the 1990's. By then I noticed something different between my old Triflon and the new Triflow of the 1990's. Mine was thicker. I figured the solvent carrier had evaporated and put the remaining bottle on the back shelf. I still have it somewhere!

I never use the stuff any more even though I have three or four bottles in different places around the house. I use it mostly, ahem, for lubing door hinges. Yeah, door hinges and it works really, really well. As a general purpose lubricant it's good but I unless it's a door hinge, the bottles don't move off the shelf.

I agree with cyccommute though, like other oil lubes, it's a bit messy and attracts dirt and grime.
Old 06-05-19, 04:15 AM
co_rouleur

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure about the original formula, but I have been using the modern version for 10-15 years now on my road bike. I think it is awesome. Super light consistency and accurate tube dispenser makes it particularly easy to lubricate derailleur pivot points. Also works well on the chain and more importantly is easy to remove with a basic degreaser. Bottle lasts for ages, although I think it is best for bikes that are not exposed to wet/dirty conditions. After a proper ride in the wet, I generally clean the bike and reapply. I have a few wax type lubes and some heavier chain lubes, but I still think this stuff is great IMHO.
Old 06-05-19, 07:35 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"and so was the uptight neurotic who first mentioned it" Perhaps that guy wasn't quite as uptight as you spout out about. It's these assumptions of personal conduct that drive us apart. Unless you are a good friend of Bill's why would you stoop to this low level? Andy
thankyou Andrew for putting that down.

its the old internet thing aint it? As much as it would be great if everyone spoke to each other like meeting at a dinner party, ie polite, I know it doesn't happen.
Old 06-09-19, 06:44 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

"I still use it"

Hello Haze, glad that ol' stuff is hanging in there. Have you tried the new to compare? Perhaps buy a new bottle and report back to see how they compare.
Old 06-11-19, 05:57 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have used Triflow for as long as I can remember. They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hand.
Old 06-11-19, 06:44 PM
djb

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have used Triflow for as long as I can remember. They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hand.
well it won't be hard to pry it out, its a good lubricant!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.