Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 11s cassette/wheel with 2015 Chorus?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-04-19, 12:40 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Hi all. Will a Shimano cassette wheelset work with 2015 Chorus, more or less indistiguishably from using a Campy cassette? And/or will the Chorus RD manage an 11-30 range (34/50 crank)? I may look at getting a second wheelset, and thought I might get it with a shimano hub, as my next N+1 a year from now I anticipate being Di2 and would like to be able to use these new wheels. Current wheels are campy hubbed with 12-29. Hoping one chain length would work with both setups as well.

If anyone has this experience trying out, I'd love to hear from you. thanks
Old 07-04-19, 05:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
I had an experience going the other way. A friend of mine has always used Shimano components. A few years ago I built up a bike for him using an Ultegra 6800 component group. He had a set of wheels for the bike but he was complaining to me that he had a really nice set of Zipp wheels he would like to use but the cassette body couldn't be upgraded to Shimano 11 speed. I asked him if a Campagnolo cassette body was available for the wheels, and he said yes, so I told him that he could use the Campy body with an 11 speed Campagnolo cassette with his Ultegra drivetrain. This guy never saw a bike component he didn't want to buy, so he did. His Ultegra setup shifted very happily with the Campagnolo cassette. As a bonus for him, Campagnolo offers cassette combinations that Shimano doesn't, which I like about them. As a 69 year old, even using a compact crank, I will never need an 11 tooth cog, even 12 is getting to be a stretch.
the nice thing about what you are planning is that inexpensive cassettes for Shimano hubs are easier to find than for Campagnolo hubs. I had to search far and wide to find the inexpensive Campy compatible 12 - 29 10 speed cassette I use for steeper climbs

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-04-19 at 06:03 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-04-19, 07:18 PM
katyjcrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As long as everything is 11 speed, it will work. The campy short cage derailleur is rated at 29 teeth but by screwing in the B screw in should shift to the 30, especially with a compact crank.
Old 07-05-19, 06:16 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I had an experience going the other way....

As a 69 year old, even using a compact crank, I will never need an 11 tooth cog, even 12 is getting to be a stretch.
Thanks.. FYI, IMO an oft-overlooked reason to go to 11, is it makes the 12 (and possibly 13 depending on your own setup) cogs more usable (crosschain issues) with the small chainring.

Originally Posted by katyjcrow
As long as everything is 11 speed, it will work. The campy short cage derailleur is rated at 29 teeth but by screwing in the B screw in should shift to the 30, especially with a compact crank.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Anyone out there actually running this kinda setup, or has installed this for someone else?
Old 07-05-19, 06:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
I just put together my third 11 groupset for a project with a Shimano hub/cassette, the previous two shift flawlessly, compact cranks but with 11-28 cassettes. I suspect you can get that 30 in there and I think the 105s I use are half what a Chorus would cost me and only slightly heavier.