Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy 3 Upgrade to 20-inch wheels

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-07-19, 08:43 AM
lyradmil
Foldie Warrior

Bikes: Birdy 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys, anyone has photos of their upgraded Birdy3s to 20-inch wheels to share? How is the fold post-upgrade, and what are the pros/cons? Would mostly be doing long rides/touring; which tyres would be good post upgrade? Am currently using the schwalbe marathons on my 18-inch.

Appreciate the advise!
Old 07-10-19, 12:46 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
By going to 20 you are getting a taller but skinnier tire so rollover will be better but less grip, less comfort, and more resistance.
I think for regular roads a fatter tire is safer and more comfortable which is why I have left mine with 18".
Old 07-10-19, 03:23 PM
grayrest

Bikes: Birdy, Orbea Gain, Optima Baron, SatRDay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ttakata73
By going to 20 you are getting a taller but skinnier tire so rollover will be better but less grip, less comfort, and more resistance.
These very much depend on the tires involved. As far as I know, the main tires available in 355 are Schwalbe Marathon Racers and Kojaks. I know Panaracer makes a Minits Lite for BD-1 but it seems to be Japan only and I've only seen it on Ebay. You could easily go to 349 wheels to get into a broader tire selection, though I believe the fastest available tires are Comet Primos but I haven't looked that carefully. Moving up to 406 gives the broadest selection of tires where I'm fairly sure the fastest options are Schwalbe Pro-Ones / G-One Speeds, Greenspeed Scorchers, and Continental Contact Speeds. I've seen testing I trust showing them all as quite a bit faster than equivalent Kojaks so I expect them to be very unlikely to have more rolling resistance.

I've debated making the switch from 355 to 406 and if I knew the 40mm tires would clear I'd probably do it but I'm not that thrilled about going to 28-406. Despite being somewhat slow the Marathon Racers on my Birdy are actually pretty good at handling the glass on the road I run into on a regular basis.