Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 08:41 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Saddle question

I have heard that the more upright one rides, the wider the saddle should be . But many of the hybrids seem to have very narrow saddles. Why is that?
Old 07-15-19, 09:40 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
My guess is that the mfg’s want to use the same saddle for multiple models. It’s cheaper and easier to use one design and just swap covers for any number of bikes.

Just a guess.

-Kedosto
Old 07-15-19, 09:46 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
This idea might come about because you see wide saddles on beach cruisers which are about as upright as you can get. Most avid riders avoid them like the plague because a wide saddle tends to chafe your thighs the farther you ride it. Works fine for a trip around town but might be a real pain for a long ride.
Old 07-15-19, 11:35 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

So you are saying a narrow saddle is OK for a beach cruiser?
Old 07-15-19, 12:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Saddles are a personal choice; what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you. The manufacturer can save a little money by using the same saddle on multiple models, and the dealer can make a little money by selling the customer a more appropriate saddle if the OEM saddle doesn't work for them.
Old 07-15-19, 12:59 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Lucillle
So you are saying a narrow saddle is OK for a beach cruiser?
Well sure, if that’s what works. One could use a wide, beach cruiser type saddle on a racing bike as well. The mfg’s spec saddles designed for the intended purpose, but ultimately the decision to choose and ride any particular saddle is up to the end user.

There are no rules when it comes to saddle preference — ride whatever you like. Most riders will be comfortable on a saddle that approximates the saddle originally specified in the design, but there’s no reason it can’t be changed. If you wanna mount a narrow racing saddle on your cruiser, knock yourself out.

-Kedosto
Old 07-15-19, 01:28 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Most beach cruisers have wide saddles. Why is this? Is there not just as much chafing on the beach as on the road? Or is it that cruisers tend to be ridden for shorter distances so chafing is not as much of a problem?
Old 07-15-19, 01:34 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
In general, wider for more upright makes logical sense. But I'm only familiar with how my arse works - yours might be different.

For anything below completely bolt-upright, spine 90 degrees from the horizon, a less wide saddle will be better.

I think the other thing driving the wide saddle spec on most cruisers is perception - most people buying cruisers are probably wary of anything that looks 'racy', so manufacturers spec tractor seats so the casual eye will not conflate them with performance seats.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 07-15-19, 01:42 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

I have heard that the more upright one rides, the wider the saddle should be . But many of the hybrids seem to have very narrow saddles. Why is that?
Old 07-15-19, 06:33 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
The bike manufacturers send them out with the saddle that appeals to most of the buyers. For beach cruisers that is often older riders who assume that a wider saddle is more comfortable than a narrow saddle. That certainly is the case for short rides. The chafing problem becomes much more apparent if you ride the bike long distances. While some owners do ride them a long way, most are just ridden around the neighborhood. I see a fair number of lightly-used beach cruisers at garage sales and the owners is rarely a teenager or millennium.

Contrast that to a hybrid bike. The buyers probably are not just going to just ride them around the block once or twice. It is a bike intended for long distance riding if the owner should want that. If the bike shop put a really wide saddle on the bike most would react in horror if they realized how uncomfortable it would be on a long ride. So, the manufacturers equip them with a saddle suitable for longer rides.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-15-19, 07:18 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Another thing to consider is your perspective. You think many hybrids have "very narrow" saddles. Ask any racer and I'm pretty sure their opinion would be that hybrids have wider, more heavily padded saddles. A racer might ask "why do many of the hybrids have very wide and heavily padded saddles?" It all depends on ones perspective. But again, buy what you like and put whatever kind of saddle you want on it. It's your bike, your butt, and your money.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 07-15-19, 07:38 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

VegasTriker's explanation totally clarified the issue for me and answered my question. It is not so much whether one rides upright or not, it is the length of the ride. It makes sense to buy a narrower saddle which won't chafe if one plans to ride for hours.
Old 07-16-19, 05:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Most beach cruisers have wide saddles. Why is this? Is there not just as much chafing on the beach as on the road? Or is it that cruisers tend to be ridden for shorter distances so chafing is not as much of a problem?
If you were to familiarize yourself with the three-dimensional shape of the female pelvis, you'd see that the separation between the bones (ischium coming forward toward but not reaching the pubis) narrows as you tilt the pelvis forward. A more forward tilt requires a narrower support from the saddle, an "upright" or vertical tile requires a wider support. This is a simplification, of course, because there are soft tissues involved as well.
Old 07-16-19, 06:22 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Yes, I referred to this in my first post. However, many hybrids are built for a more upright position, yet have narrow saddles, that is what I was questioning, and VegasTriker provided an excellent answer.
Old 07-16-19, 06:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Why is that? I don't know for certain. Possibly because some hybrids aren't very upright at all. Some have very aggressive ergos. Take this one for example Save up to 60% off new Carbon Hybrid Bicycles | Road Bikes Cafe Century PRO DX

There's an ill defined line between a flat bar road bike and a hybrid, and there is some overlap I suppose. I consider the above to be a flat bar road bike. Bikes Direct covers a lot of ground in their hybrid bike category and generally the more upright the hybrid the wider the saddle.

Save up to 60% off new Fitness Bikes, Hybrid Bikes | Hybrid | Cafe Bikes | Adventure Bikes - Performance Hybrid Bikes and Fitness Bikes