Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have this problem?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 05:18 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well lately I've found strict out road raceing a bit boring, I mean there aren't many races around and maybe its just cat 5, but it isn't hard enough. Will it get better once I get to cat 4/3 (and maybe even higher than that)

I mean its not the bike that bores me I still love that, but I;ve found my self using aeros more and more and drops less and less, to the point I'm looking into buying a tri bike.

Elvish
Old 10-03-05, 05:25 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have you won every cat 5 race you've entered? I certainly can't relate to that. It took me a couple of years before I had enough experience to place in the top 3.

I enjoy riding my road bike, but riding my tri-bike on a flat course in aero position - the sensation of speed is so addicting...

Last edited by Sprocket Man; 10-03-05 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 05:31 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
Well lately I've found strict out road raceing a bit boring, I mean there aren't many races around and maybe its just cat 5, but it isn't hard enough. Will it get better once I get to cat 4/3 (and maybe even higher than that)

I mean its not the bike that bores me I still love that, but I;ve found my self using aeros more and more and drops less and less, to the point I'm looking into buying a tri bike.

Elvish
Geez your from the DFW area it's pan flat out there no wonder your bored!

If you are dominating your C5 races cat up they should let you. I think you'll find the C4 and 3 races can be even more boring until the last 1/3. C5's tend to go out hard from the start due to the lack of experience from most of involved while the 3/4 guys ride smarter and save it for the last part of the race.
Old 10-03-05, 05:52 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
, but I;ve found my self using aeros more and more and drops less and less, to the point I'm looking into buying a tri bike.

Elvish
Don't you have a Specialized Transition??? Isn't that a tri bike?
Old 10-03-05, 06:22 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Don't you have a Specialized Transition??? Isn't that a tri bike?

I have the multisport verison, its the tri frame just with drops instead of dedicated tri.

The few races I entered the last leg is just a mad dash in which I can usally catch/beat a lot of the guys a head of me.

I hope to shortly move to cat4 next year and I really want to start doing tris, that'll give me a lot of enjoyment.

I've found if I just go out for aride for no reason (jsut because not race trainning) I enjoy my self.

I guess crit races and road races arent for everyone.
Old 10-03-05, 06:48 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CYCLOCROSS!

Sounds exactley like what you need
Old 10-03-05, 06:49 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Just ride for the enjoyment of riding if that's what you enjoy. I know I enjoy challenging myself to go longer and harder than the day before, but know I would not enjoy racing personally. I was looking at my cycling log for the year last night and was very happy to see the steady climb in both distance and average speeds from May till now.
Old 10-03-05, 06:54 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
CYCLOCROSS!

Sounds exactley like what you need

Texas is flat I think thats one of the issues. I've thought bout this, but I relized I know nothing about the sport. Like I said I'm not by a long shot giving up cycling, maybe just normal road racing less Ican move up to higher paced races, I can seriously avg about 21-22 solo on my 75 mile trainning ride most days.

I started long distance riding on a 35 pound walmart mountian bike and was able to avg 19 on that beast
Old 10-03-05, 07:01 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texas is flat I think thats one of the issues. I've thought bout this, but I relized I know nothing about the sport. Like I said I'm not by a long shot giving up cycling, maybe just normal road racing less Ican move up to higher paced races, I can seriously avg about 21-22 solo on my 75 mile trainning ride most days.

I started long distance riding on a 35 pound walmart mountian bike and was able to avg 19 on that beast
so cyclocross isnt hill climbing. Its the thrill of a road bike but in thw woods. You do have trails right? At least woods. C'mon its fun!
Old 10-03-05, 07:05 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah, in the summer time the cracks that open up in the dirt make for some exciting trail rides.

"fall in a crack, break your own back"
Old 10-03-05, 07:15 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
so cyclocross isnt hill climbing. Its the thrill of a road bike but in thw woods. You do have trails right? At least woods. C'mon its fun!

See I told you I know nothing about the sport. The only 'woods' near me surrond a local park and all the trails down are usally very steep, to the point I wouldn't be ready to try for a while...less I wanted a quick ticket to the ER...when I came too
Old 10-03-05, 07:44 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
second on the cyclocross. it's short attention span racing and definitely not boring.
Old 10-03-05, 07:50 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The few races I entered the last leg is just a mad dash in which I can usally catch/beat a lot of the guys a head of me.

So you need to fill us in...usually beat "a lot" of guys. Is this winning? Is this a top 10 finish, or just beating most of the people in a large pack? If you're really that much stronger than the other cat 5 riders, this is the advice I'd give you: If you're bored, you're boring. What does this mean? It means YOU should be the one driving the race. YOU should be putting the hurt on, trying breaks and working your heart out to make them stick and win solo. If there's a small group up the road, YOU should bust a move and bridge up, then drive the break. It sounds to me that you really need a coach or a club to ride with that will kick you out of your complacency. Just because the other Cat5's are racing negatively, that shouldnt' affect you at all. I'd think that breaking everyone's leg's and winning solo would brighten your day a bit. It's one of the best feelings in cycling regardless of catagory.

You'll also need this strength/skill/pain threshold/etc...to be sucessful as you move up. Half of success is learning how to win, not just participate.
Old 10-03-05, 08:01 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puddin' legs
So you need to fill us in...usually beat "a lot" of guys. Is this winning? Is this a top 10 finish, or just beating most of the people in a large pack? If you're really that much stronger than the other cat 5 riders, this is the advice I'd give you: If you're bored, you're boring. What does this mean? It means YOU should be the one driving the race. YOU should be putting the hurt on, trying breaks and working your heart out to make them stick and win solo. If there's a small group up the road, YOU should bust a move and bridge up, then drive the break. It sounds to me that you really need a coach or a club to ride with that will kick you out of your complacency. Just because the other Cat5's are racing negatively, that shouldnt' affect you at all. I'd think that breaking everyone's leg's and winning solo would brighten your day a bit. It's one of the best feelings in cycling regardless of catagory.

You'll also need this strength/skill/pain threshold/etc...to be sucessful as you move up. Half of success is learning how to win, not just participate.

Out by a lot I mean I finished top 10 twice and top 5 three times. I let the others drive the race till they run out of steam, then I kick in the over drive and push it and push it hard
Old 10-03-05, 08:08 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
How about some crits? THose are always exciting!
Old 10-03-05, 08:10 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
How about some crits? THose are always exciting!

Thats what the races were...and that maybe another part of the problem. But it just got boring doing a circut. I'm goign to give a full season a try instead f just 5 half arsed races that I could find to test my skill at. And that may also be it, I didn't have any real races (cycling lincese required races) just local things that people didn't seem to take serious
Old 10-03-05, 08:30 PM
2Rodies
El Diablo

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8/Record 10s, Felt DA700 Chorus 10s,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Texas is flat Austin isn't.
Old 10-03-05, 08:32 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Rodies
Texas is flat Austin isn't.
Keller texas is really flat save a few hills
Old 10-04-05, 12:24 PM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out by a lot I mean I finished top 10 twice and top 5 three times. I let the others drive the race till they run out of steam, then I kick in the over drive and push it and push it hard

Nothing personal, but this is kind of the definition of negative racing. Seriously, YOU take the race by the horns and break legs. You need to experiment with this to find what you're actual thresholds/skills are. If you aren't mixing is up at the cat 5 level, even if you're finishing in the top 10, you aren't winning or learning anything other than how to sit in. Find a club and really try to ride an organized tactical race. It can be done if the club is organized and/or has some exceptional coaching.
We' all love to hear that you tried to get away 2 or 3 times, got caught, but finally made the 4th try stick with a small break, then with two laps to go, you attack again, ride the others off your wheel, then win. You might burn up and burn out the first few races trying this, but if you already know you can finish in the top 5 by just sitting in, you should just go for it. Like I said before, and I mean it the best way, if you're bored, you're boring. Sitting in the pack when you're capable of driving it or breaking it apart is......zzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzz.....boring. You're not racing, you're only participating.

Stick around on race day and watch the pro 1/2 races. Guys are working together, attacking, etc... all the time. The racing is animated and interesting to both the riders and the spectators.
Old 10-04-05, 03:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
my 2 cents, learn to win in Cat 5 before you upgrade. It gets a lot harder when you go up in category. Even if you have the fitness to compete in the 4's (which I don't think is a foregone conclusion just because you're finishing in the top 10 in the 5's), you need to learn how to race. You learn when to sprint, when to bridge, when to chase, when to let someone go, by being competitive and in the mix. You may blow your first couple of chances to win a race by making the wrong move, but you'll learn from it.
If you move up too quick, and are just hanging in as pack fill, you're missing an opportunity to mix it up (which should not be boring) and to learn.