Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hub polishing - before and after photos

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-04-07, 03:29 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

EDIT: I'm moving my webhosting around right now, if the photos break, I'll update the thread asap.

A little example of what a little bit of time, a good terry cloth rag and some aluminum polish can do to some hubs. Most of these are Campagnolo Record hubs which we all know had a very nice polish on them to start, but most of these had been sitting unused for the better part of 10-15 years. First post is the before shots, I'll put the after photos in the second post...

Campagnolo Record Front:

Shimano Exage Rear:

Campagnolo Record Rear:

Last edited by cuda2k; 03-04-07 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-04-07, 03:31 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

And the after:

All polishing was done by hand (no power tool assist on the buffing) with a terry cloth rag, a little bit of simple green to break up the grease and grime, and then Mother's Aluminum Polish. Even the Shimano hub has a very nice clean polish to it now. Not sure what I'm going to do with that wheel, might be up on the trade thread before too long (7speed cassette laced to a Mavic MA-2 rim, 700c) or I'll keep it until I get a clincher set built for the Serotta with Campagnolo parts.
Old 03-04-07, 03:40 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What sort of time did you put in, per hub?
Old 03-04-07, 03:46 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm going to ask a really stupid question here.

What is the purpose of the metal strip that doesn't quite encircle the hub? What metal is it? I've tried to polish the metal strips of the Record hubs that came with the Nishiki Pro, and I haven't made them anything except the same dull brown that they were when I started.

East Hill
Old 03-04-07, 03:47 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Maybe 10-15mins each? Not really sure how long I was in there. Not too long though. Went through these steps:

1) Shot hub down with simple green and let sit for 10-20seconds before wiping down with paper towel to get loose grime off.

2) Using terry cloth rag rubbed aluminum polish over ends of hub, rubbing over area 3-4 times with light pressure

3) Buffed ends of hub to a clean polish with fresh area of terry cloth rag.

4) Applied poish to one half of the inner hub area, working in between the spokes and turning wheel to go between a new set of spokes as needed.

5) Buffed the polish off with fresh area of rag, turning wheel to get to other areas as needed.

6) Flipped wheel around and repeated 4 & 5 on the other side.

East Hill: those dark metal clips cover the oil hole in the hub. One of my front hubs doesn't have the clip and you can see the hole. I've got a photo of that somewhere in my Serotta thread I think. I'll see if I can find it. On the back side of that clip, you can see a little divet impression where the hole is under the clip.

edit: EH, you can see the hole I'm talking about in the middle photo of the "polished" set. The picture with both front and rear hubs in it. The front hub (left side) you can see the hole in the center of the hub body.
Old 03-04-07, 03:49 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
I'm going to ask a really stupid question here.

What is the purpose of the metal strip that doesn't quite encircle the hub? What metal is it? I've tried to polish the metal strips of the Record hubs that came with the Nishiki Pro, and I haven't made them anything except the same dull brown that they were when I started.

East Hill
They are to cover the oil hole. They are probably a stell chosen more for its capability to be a fine spring than looks... I have some cable clips that are about the same (polish does little good) so I plan to try to use my power tool on those.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-04-07, 03:51 PM
silversmith
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What is the purpose of the metal strip that doesn't quite encircle the hub?
It covers the oil port.
Old 03-04-07, 03:52 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh! I never even thought to try to take them off. I guess that wasn't quite as stupid a question as I thought then (seeing as this is the only bit of Campagnolo stuff I've got).

Thank you for the answers, everyone.

By the way, those are beautifully polished, and I think I will have to go down and work on mine some more .

East Hill
Old 03-04-07, 04:04 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
And the after:

{snip}

All polishing was done by hand (no power tool assist on the buffing) with a terry cloth rag, a little bit of simple green to break up the grease and grime, and then Mother's Aluminum Polish. Even the Shimano hub has a very nice clean polish to it now. Not sure what I'm going to do with that wheel, might be up on the trade thread before too long (7speed cassette laced to a Mavic MA-2 rim, 700c) or I'll keep it until I get a clincher set built for the Serotta with Campagnolo parts.

I do need a front wheel please let me know
Old 03-04-07, 04:06 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by ilikebikes
I do need a front wheel please let me know
Sorry, the front isn't likely going to be up for sale, if anything I'd relace the front hub with a different rim. The Shimano rear is the only one I'd likely be parting with.
Old 03-04-07, 04:16 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Sorry, the front isn't likely going to be up for sale, if anything I'd relace the front hub with a different rim. The Shimano rear is the only one I'd likely be parting with.
Thanks anyways
Old 03-04-07, 07:56 PM
poopncow
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lovely
Old 03-04-07, 08:03 PM
astrodaimler
Remember Wool Shorts?

Bikes: Gios Torino, Lemond Zurich, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with them before? All my Campy's look like that. I'm just too dang lazy.
Old 03-04-07, 08:03 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmm, got me thinking about doing this with my Schwinn. Since the weather is bad outside I might as well.
Old 03-04-07, 09:32 PM
silversmith
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cuda2k did a fantastic job polishing mounted hubs!

Hmmm, got me thinking about doing this with my Schwinn. Since the weather is bad outside I might as well.
You may as well. Some of the Schwinn hubs will polish up nearly as nice as the Record hubs. Here's a (Non Schwinn Approved) Normandy hub that I was able to bring to a decent shine -- note the reflection of the cloth on the outside of the hub:
Old 03-04-07, 09:48 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

The Shimano 333 hubs I have for the Barracuda Mk.I poished up nearly as nice. I've got some pictures of those somewhere around here. Got to admit that the Campagnolo hubs are prettier.
Old 03-04-07, 10:41 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Very nice, luckily you are starting out with hubs in excellent condition. I have spent as much as a couple hours on one corroded campy hub, clips were complete rust, you will never get that kind of shine out of a badly neglected hub unless you use power tools. I have to resort to super fine #0000 steel wool to polish I should start with #00 (recommended for metal) and then to #0000.
Old 03-04-07, 10:55 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Yeah, I have to admit that they were pretty good shape after just the wipe down with the simple green. They have been stored in a garage here in the Dallas area for years. Now I would love to pick up a 32h rear hub to pair with one of the pair of Campagnolo rims I am thinking of picking up, and then rebuilding the front wheel with the other rim. Too many darned wheel projects right now.
Old 03-05-07, 08:55 AM
ludeboy_77

Bikes: Schwinn Letour 1989, Shogun 300 198?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sparked a memory of some old-timers I would see on the trail in my younger days. These guys would have a peiced of leather loosely wrapped around the hub with what would appear to be a snap/weight to keep it stationary while the wheel turned. Anyone else remember these, they kept the hub nicely polished.
Old 03-05-07, 09:11 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Actually, there's a thread in here about that very thing:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=273995

Interesting reading.

East Hill
Old 03-05-07, 08:24 PM
jim10040