Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Chainrings

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 10:20 PM
eriksbliss
I'm so much cooler online

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track Chainrings

1) Truvativ . . . My bike came with Truvativ Omnium cranks, and a 48-tooth 144 1/8" ring, labeled "Truvativ AL-7075-T6." I am probably going to add a 49 and 50 to the bag. Frankly, the Truvativ ring is nice looking and seems solid, and I wouldn't mind sticking with the brand. But between the Web and calls to local shops, I can't find them. Is there anywhere to get Truvativ track rings, or is my 48 just a one-shot OEM and there are no other sizes?

2) If not . . . what is the way to go? Are Dura-Ace rings really worth twice the price of most others (which is what the Web stores seem to have them for)? Sugino 75 -- nice? Are there any brands to avoid? Would I look like a total dork to pair a black, solid FSA ring with the soft silver/champage Omnium spider?
Old 06-25-07, 04:45 AM
fixedpip
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truvativ don't list any other track chainrings on their website so I'm guessing the 48 is the only one they do for now. The Omnium crank is pretty new.

Plenty of other good track chainrings out. All are pretty nice. You pay a premium for finish, logos etc but unless you're a world class sprinter I doubt you'll see any difference.

In the budget category Sugino make very decent track rings, as do Gebhardt, FSA etc. Theres also plenty of NOS/2nd stuff out there and you can often pick up the high level Sugino, DA, Campy and Suntour stuff for a decent price.

Nice thing about track chainrings is that they last a long time so its worth investing some money in them.
Old 06-26-07, 08:24 PM
CafeRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedpip
Nice thing about track chainrings is that they last a long time so its worth investing some money in them.
Dam right! I tell myself that everytime I bite the bullet and replace a cheap one with a Dura-Ace one. The more money usualy entails a better ring. Roundness, hardness, tooth profile etc. A cheap chainring may take forever to wear in nicly wear as a dura ace one is dam near fast out of the package.

Sugino 75 rings are nice and good quality. They're a tad loud though but that soon goes away with wear.

If its a ring your going to use alot of the time spend some money, Like fixedpip said its worth spending on rings youll use forever. If its a size you'll use seldom like a 45 or 50 in my case get somthing cheaper.