Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living with less car - becoming more popular?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-07, 05:35 AM
1ply
Plays in Traffic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It looks that way - look what Kona has:

it can be found here: https://www.konaworld.com/08_ute.htm
Old 08-25-07, 06:29 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Nice concept...but why only one frame size? I need a bit more than a 17.5" frame...like 5" more I have one bike now with a 19" step thru frame with a 400mm seat post. Not the best situation, but for what I need it works for now.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-25-07, 10:42 AM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Great to finally see an alternative to the xtra-cycle.
this is a landmark bike: a major manufacturer catering to us car-lite nuts.
I hope it is a huge success
Old 08-25-07, 11:49 AM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Seen from where we sit, living with less car may seem to be getting a lot more popular, but let's consider this quote from an article I just read about the mortgage crisis: (italics added by me)

The Pents grieve losing their three-acre property in the middle of horse country, with its swimming pool and fish pond.

"It was my dad's house," said Connie, 39, an elementary schools receptionist. "It's quiet, it's open - we love it."

Their troubles began in April 2006 when they refinanced the remaining $207,000 on a 30-year fixed loan to a two-year adjustable rate mortgage so they could pay down hefty obligations on their SUV and pickup truck.
A mortgage broker informed them just before the closing that the remaining debt would be $3,500 more than expected, but they signed anyway.
"We didn't have time to change the terms so we just signed them," Connie said.

Of course, this family seems to be breathtakingly stupid in a variety of ways, but I'm left to wonder how many other people stumble into foreclosure without even for a second considering getting rid of one or more of their cars, or switching to smaller, less expensive vehicles. Living with less car may be more popular than it used to be, but it's still not a mass movement by any stretch of the imagination.

That Kona's pretty sweet, btw.

Last edited by bragi; 08-25-07 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-25-07, 11:55 AM
jakbikesdc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1ply

NICE!!! I love it. I gunna start saving up for that beast.

*I guess all those years of worshiping the gods of Kona paid off!!*
Old 08-25-07, 12:06 PM
lyeinyoureye
Senior Citizen

Bikes: yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$800!?!? Do they think we're made of money?
Old 08-25-07, 06:32 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good Concept

Why doesn't it have a rear brake? With it loaded with plenty of cargo a rear brake would be very useful, even on wet pavement. No rear brake is listed on their web site.

It needs a rear fender too.
Old 08-25-07, 07:17 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
Seen from where we sit, living with less car may seem to be getting a lot more popular, but let's consider this quote from an article I just read about the mortgage crisis...
If you're following the mortgage story you might like to look in on the Broker Outpost forum. Broker Outpost is a sibling to Bike Forums, both being operated by the same company.

Broker Outpost Forum
Old 08-25-07, 07:44 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 1ply

That is a great bike . How much again?
Old 08-25-07, 08:06 PM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. That one's built for hauling. There's also the Surley Big Dummy which seems to be a similar concept.
Old 08-25-07, 09:15 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
That is a great bike . How much again?
About eight bills.
Old 08-25-07, 09:34 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
My wife, who I am having a nearly impossible time getting on bikes, saw this bike and was actually enthused. To her this was a bike that could actually be usefully. I may end up with one when I return to the states.
Old 08-26-07, 12:32 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
If you're following the mortgage story you might like to look in on the Broker Outpost forum. Broker Outpost is a sibling to Bike Forums, both being operated by the same company.

Broker Outpost Forum
I took a look, and didn't get it. How anyone can carry on passionate discussions about real estate, and even understand them, is beyond me, I guess. I must be financially ********. It's probably just as well that I didn't replace my fixed-rate mortgage with an ARM so I could make up payments on the Burley Flatbed....
Old 08-26-07, 02:06 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a look, and didn't get it. How anyone can carry on passionate discussions about real estate, and even understand them, is beyond me, I guess. I must be financially ********. It's probably just as well that I didn't replace my fixed-rate mortgage with an ARM so I could make up payments on the Burley Flatbed....
I'm no real estate wizard either. I just try to see the big picture. Resource limits ensure that consumer culture can't expand indefinitely. Something will come along to stop it. The free market has apparently chosen the housing bubble and mortgage credit constraint as its means for reining in the AWOL (American Way of Life).

In other words, it wasn't a gas crisis, war, epidemics, or economic collapse. It had to be something, though.

It may still be a while before the average American starts taking cycling seriously as an alternative to cars. But I think it's coming.
Old 08-26-07, 02:50 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
My wife, who I am having a nearly impossible time getting on bikes, saw this bike and was actually enthused. To her this was a bike that could actually be usefully. I may end up with one when I return to the states.
This is a pure "utility" bike which might put Surly ahead of the game with folk's like you wife......
and there are alot of folk's like your wife that just want a "bike that works for a living" like this Surly.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 08-26-07, 04:09 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Seen from where we sit, living with less car may seem to be getting a lot more popular, but let's consider this quote from an article I just read about the mortgage crisis: (italics added by me) ....
The mortgage crisis was caused by lots of people signing their names for loans that they simply could not pay for over the long run.
That's all it is, and there's no real excuse.
You want to laugh, google search "Dr Housing Bubble's Real Homes of Genius".

-------

The Kona.....

...is nice, in a way. Bicycles are a lot more useful when you can easily carry things on them besides yourself. The one frame size stinks however, and $800 is a lot of money. And it appears they are still using a left-side leaner kickstand, instead of a proper rear-mounted dual kickstand (which makes loading bikes with panniers MUCH easier).
~

Last edited by Doug5150; 08-26-07 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 06:38 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
The mortgage crisis was caused by lots of people signing their names for loans that they simply could not pay for over the long run.
That's all it is, and there's no real excuse.
You want to laugh, google search "Dr Housing Bubble's Real Homes of Genius".

~
What gets me is they lost her father's home for overpriced cars. A sad situation indeed.
Old 08-27-07, 11:30 PM
KnhoJ
Mister Goody Two Shoes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Why doesn't it have a rear brake? With it loaded with plenty of cargo a rear brake would be very useful, even on wet pavement. No rear brake is listed on their web site.

It needs a rear fender too.
The photo shows three cables headed back thataway... Maybe the brake got airbrushed out along with the background?

Looks kinda short in the wheelbase department, though...

Alright, according to completely unscientific measurements referenced against the wheels and seat tube, that looks like a 46-49 inch wheelbase or so. IOW, a little bmx frame with a super-stretched rear triangle and 26 inch wheels. Just barely longer than my ancient unstretched Schwinn Sierra, and that bike's too small for me. Oh well, I could be wrong though. I do like the integrated rack.

It gets better: According to an update on Bikehugger, they won't be making it compatible with xtracycle stuff. No longbike style accessories until Kona gets around to making their own proprietary goodies. So for now, it's an $800 longbike that's sized for kids, with a giant rear rack you'll have to rig up with something homemade to use. But on the bright side, you'll have the only longbike in town that fits on the bus racks.
Old 08-27-07, 11:47 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
From the Bike hugger story you referenced. It seems that the bike will use 700c wheels. No matter what, the frame looks bigger than a BMX frame. However, I will wait until I start seeing pictures of it, the production model, and with something else in the picture.

In other pictures I have seen, the bike clearly had a brake on the seatstay.
Originally Posted by bike Hugger website
  • 700c wheels & tires
  • longer head tube for better handlebar position
  • lower top tube to increase standover/clearance
  • change of specification on stem, grips and saddle (aesthetics)
  • rear plastic deck on the rear is machined from 100% post consumer recycled material
  • Ships standard with two specifically designed, grocery-style pannier bags that include a raincover. Four bags capacity with with additional bags and accessories offered.
  • MSRP is $799, explaining some of the spec decisions (rear V-brake, no internal hub, etc.).
  • Xtracycle compatibility — ” … the design concept was to make a complete bike that is economical, comfortable, light & offers a cargo area/options. Although we considered making the bike compatible with Xtracycle bags, this compromised the other design objectives. Xtracycle is a wonderful concept, but to accommodate their accessories, we would have added to the weight, complexity and expense of the model. We are definitely considering a variety of accessories & bags that will become available for the bike.”
  • Wheels — Kona tested this bike with both 26” and 700c wheels and 700cc was preferred
  • Foot Rests — Kona is considering and will keep us posted
Here, this is from the Kona website.

Frame Size: 17.5"
Head Angle: 71 degrees
Seat Angle 74 degrees
Top Tube 23"
Chain Stay 24.6"
Head Tube 4.3"
BB Height 12"
Standover 29.3"

Please understand that I am interested in this hike primarily because this one of the first bikes that I have shown a picture of to my wife that resulted in a highly positive reaction. There as no where that reaction from the extra-cycle kit.

As far as size goes, I am concerned that it may be too big.

Last edited by Robert C; 08-28-07 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-28-07, 03:40 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
What gets me is they lost her father's home for overpriced cars. A sad situation indeed.
Yes,,,, -but the car bit is really a minor detail.

Lots of people have overextended themselves. Losing your home over a luxury car is a silly thing, but it's just one silly thing, and there's a whole lot of them.

Trying to tack the subprime mess to "car ownership" is simply false. We're going to get a lot more of these sob-stories over the next 12 months, and most of them will have nothing to do with cars. The great majority of them will have something to do with someone taking out more loan than they could pay off with their incomes. (-their actual incomes, not the one they stated on the application-)
~
Old 08-28-07, 08:33 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
The great majority of them will have something to do with someone taking out more loan than they could pay off with their incomes. (-their actual incomes, not the one they stated on the application-)
It certainly does seem that people who default on a home loan are likely to have bought a home that was too large/high-priced for them. Excessively large homes are just like cars in that they usually have a high initial cost, they consume lots of petroleum energy ($$) to be usable, and you pay a lot to repair them too. Of course, even a small apartment requires huge amounts of energy to be kept within the 65-85 degree temperature range at all times.
Old 08-28-07, 09:09 AM
cosmo starr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
id go with a "big dummy" i think id like the freeloaders better
Old 08-28-07, 10:11 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cerewa
It certainly does seem that people who default on a home loan are likely to have bought a home that was too large/high-priced for them. Excessively large homes are just like cars in that they usually have a high initial cost, they consume lots of petroleum energy ($$) to be usable, and you pay a lot to repair them too. Of course, even a small apartment requires huge amounts of energy to be kept within the 65-85 degree temperature range at all times.
yes...
and from my experience in another line of work i just kept seeing houses getting pricier and pricier - and the value wasn't really there. in 5 years we've seen an explosion of housing costs - in both new and old stock - so much so that average folks like me and my wife had to work really hard to find something reasonable.

when easy credit fuels a market people who make sensible choices can get shut out because of the frenzy brought on by easy money and the people seeking profits from it. i really wish we had waited a year - there are some really nice places (small, functional, well built, attractive and closer to downtown) that are starting to come back to earth in price. instead we are renovating a POS crafted townhouse (and making it far better than it ever was) that we paid too much for in a really tight market. we didn't have much choice and made the best decision we could...
Old 08-28-07, 11:12 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet bike! Needs an extra wheel though.
Old 08-28-07, 01:15 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, one frame size only? I guess I'll stick to just slapping an Xtracycle over a bike sized for me instead, then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.