Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hmmm, maybe Trek is right...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 08:49 AM
donrhummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1174.html

Some comments by some LBS owners:

“A lot of the comments that LeMond made about Armstrong left a sour taste in people’s mouths, so I’m not surprised that they parted ways,” said Mike Nix, owner of Liberty Bicycles in Asheville, North Carolina.
“It’s really hard to sell bikes when the spokesperson for the line is engaged in a continuous barrage of negative statements about bike racing,” said Mike Jacoubowsky, owner of Chain Reaction Bicycles in Redwood City, California.

Jacoubowsky felt as though a weight had been lifted. “It is with some relief that I no longer have to be concerned with Trek reps coming into the store saying I need to do a better job supporting the line. Just as it is a relief that I will no longer have to engage customers in conversations about doping that are counterproductive to my business,” he said.
Old 04-09-08, 08:52 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
Jacoubowsky felt as though a weight had been lifted. “It is with some relief that I no longer have to be concerned with Trek reps coming into the store saying I need to do a better job supporting the line. Just as it is a relief that I will no longer have to engage customers in conversations about doping that are counterproductive to my business,” he said.
At least until the time Contador is called to task over Operation Puerto anyway.
Old 04-09-08, 08:52 AM
wfrogge

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greg making comments about Armstrong had zero impact on Trek sales.. ZERO..... Greg speaks the truth about doping.... I think Greg has sour grapes because he missed the EPO boat back in the early 90s but none the less he speaks the truth.

Screw Trek.
Old 04-09-08, 08:55 AM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Read. Only one side and Trek surely will have a very good story on their side when it comes to trial.

https://www.trekbikes.com/pdf/media/e...008_Lemond.pdf
Old 04-09-08, 09:04 AM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge
Greg making comments about Armstrong had zero impact on Trek sales.. ZERO.....
Sure, but they DID have impact on Lemond sales and that's Trek's point.

Also, it's interesting to note that the interview with the retailers was done by an independent news organization not by Trek. Granted, it's likely both Trek and Greg have some correct claims but I think it speaks volumes that those dealers seem to agree with Trek's claims.
Old 04-09-08, 09:08 AM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, but they DID have impact on Lemond sales and that's Trek's point.

Also, it's interesting to note that the interview with the retailers was done by an independent news organization not by Trek. Granted, it's likely both Trek and Greg have some correct claims but I think it speaks volumes that those dealers seem to agree with Trek's claims.

How do they know it had an impact? My guess is 99% of cyclists buying a bike dont know about Lemond's rants about doping over the past 10 years.

Either way there was no impact on sales due to Greg bashing Armstrong. Keep sucking on Lance's teet Trek......... keep going
Old 04-09-08, 09:55 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do they know it had an impact? My guess is 99% of cyclists buying a bike dont know about Lemond's rants about doping over the past 10 years.

Either way there was no impact on sales due to Greg bashing Armstrong. Keep sucking on Lance's teet Trek......... keep going
Because I ride a 2006 Zurich and EVERY freaking time LeMond opened his yapper....I would hear about it from riders from all over the freaking place just because I rode one. It would make things interesting in a 30 person paceline.

I freaking got tired of hearing it and now I get to hear it more with the new saga. I'd sell the bike if I didn't like the Zurich's carbon spine/steel feel.

BTW, if you are going to use someone's name, at least give the M the proper cap
Old 04-09-08, 10:19 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do they know it had an impact?
By using the same method that makes you so sure it didn't.
Old 04-09-08, 10:34 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Because the bike shop that I bought my LeMond from quit carrying the bikes basically a year ago despite the owner riding a 2005 Tete.
Old 04-09-08, 10:42 AM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not sure what Lemond is thinking. He has made himself look very jealous over the years about Lance's success. I at one time liked Lemond, but that was many years ago. In recent years I have found him to be annoying. Not to mention that he has let himself go physically, just doesnt seem to be the best spokesman for a bike. Seems he is on a lawsuit binge of late.
Old 04-09-08, 11:44 AM
gurana
Tête de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
+1. It'd be difficult to prove either way. In fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that there was no effect to sales, being that most find it difficult to prove a negative in the first place.

In my personal estimation, LeMond bikes have lost some appeal over the last couple of years (which is as long as I've been aware of their existence to be honest). Which is to say, I was immediately impressed, but as time wore on, I just don't see it anymore. Is this because of all of Greg LeMond's doping allegations? I don't know, but the two things certainly coincide. I was never a huge admirer of Trek bikes, but over the years my low esteem for them has remained pretty much the same. Oddly enough, I'd say that this most recent drama has made me more sympathetic to them.
Old 04-09-08, 11:49 AM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read the article I posted. THAT is evidence. TWO LBS owners said that his comments affect their sales of Lemond bikes. These dealers actaully deal with customers and talk to them about the bikes they're looking to buy and they both say it affected their sales. That is evidence.
Old 04-09-08, 11:53 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
God forbid that anyone speak out against St Lance. All GL ever did was say that LA's relationship with Ferrari was questionable. In the atmosphere that has surrounded Pro Cycling GL was right. Ferrari is a proponent of PED's being his client is probably not the smartest thing given the circumstances. From a business standpoint I can understand Trek wanting it's brand associated with LA, however for them to demand silence from arguably the greatest American cyclist is reprehensable. Please remember that most of GL's comments came after he was contacted and asked his opinion. He didn't just come out and start ranting about drugs in cycling. After living Austin TX for some time I've also got to hear from the locals about the vindictiveness of LA, he's not choir boy.
Old 04-09-08, 12:48 PM
SpeedNut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were already going to part ways in 2010, so I don't know what the big deal is, LeMond personally is more involved in his excercise bike business anyway.
Old 04-09-08, 01:12 PM
musto_skiff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder what this means for those of us with LeMond bikes ... what happens if we have a warranty issue?
Old 04-09-08, 01:13 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Hmmm, maybe Trek is right..
More likely a case of you being incorrect. Again.
Old 04-09-08, 01:26 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read the article I posted. THAT is evidence. TWO LBS owners said that his comments affect their sales of Lemond bikes. These dealers actaully deal with customers and talk to them about the bikes they're looking to buy and they both say it affected their sales. That is evidence.

That article states nothing more but opinions coming from Trek/LeMond dealers..... Opinions not fact. Trek has done its best to bury the LeMond name over the past 5+ years. Now I await the Armstrong bike .

Love how that one shop owner says LeMond's negative comments about the sport have hurt sales of his bikes. Somebody buy that shop owner a clue... the vast majority of the pro peleton has been doping since the beginning of the sport.
Old 04-09-08, 01:29 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Greg has sour grapes because he missed the EPO boat back in the early 90s but none the less he speaks the truth.
I don't understand this line of thinking. Greg LeMond is one of the greatest cyclists of all time, why would he want to skip forward a few years to have his Herculean efforts effectively negated by a bunch of dopers.

If anything, I think that Greg has sour grapes because he got hit in the chest with a shotgun blast at close range, and it took years off his racing career and probably his life. He's bummed because he probably could have one five tours and a slew of other races without a setback like that.
Old 04-09-08, 01:34 PM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonechilling
I don't understand this line of thinking. Greg LeMond is one of the greatest cyclists of all time, why would he want to skip forward a few years to have his Herculean efforts effectively negated by a bunch of dopers.

If anything, I think that Greg has sour grapes because he got hit in the chest with a shotgun blast at close range, and it took years off his racing career and probably his life. He's bummed because he probably could have one five tours and a slew of other races without a setback like that.
+1. Greg put US cycling on the map and inspired cyclists of my age to get on a road bike. Gregs biggest mistake was to in anyway cast a shadow on the Great Lance Armstrong. If it is ever proved that LA doped Greg will look a lot less 'crazy' than the Lance Lovers would like him to be.
Old 04-09-08, 01:41 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonechilling

The only way Greg would have won 5 tours is if he used EPO.....

Indurain placed 17th in 1989 and 10th in 1990... Not even close to being a threat to LeMond or the other leaders then out of nowhere he wins and dominates 5 tours in a row? At that level you dont make a jump like that without help from a drug... you just dont.

Lets say LeMond's accident hurt him and cut his career short and that was the cause of the torch being passed too early. Look at Andy Hampsten then..... Why did he fall off the GC map after 1990?.. Three letters EPO.

It got to a point where all the pros were on EPO and winning or clean and getting dropped.... Either you doped and got paid or stayed clean and quit the sport. Some of those guys had crit levels in the 60s from the stuff... You cant naturally compete with that.

Was Lance great? Sure..... He was the best of the best dopers of his day.
Old 04-09-08, 01:52 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not saying that EPO wasn't common and isn't a problem, I just don't think that LeMond regrets missing the EPO boom. I thought my post was pretty clear about that.
Old 04-09-08, 01:59 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
99% of people buying a bike probably don't know.

10-50% of target- Lemond-customers probably know.
Old 04-09-08, 02:02 PM
crisi13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SOOO.........I'm planning on buying a Lemond on Friday....good idea or no?
Old 04-09-08, 02:04 PM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can tell everything about a man by the way he treats the women in his life. I suppose that's a different thread though.
Old 04-09-08, 02:14 PM
Ttown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
according to 1990 tdf dvd..indurain was 10th 12:47 behind lemond. Most of that time was lost in alpe d'heuz stage where he was 12+ min back of leaders after working hard for delgado. Indurain won stage 16 to luz ardiden and finished ahead of lemond on the 2 indiv TT stages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.