Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Today's JAP(edestrian)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Today's JAP(edestrian)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 06:48 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today's JAP(edestrian)

I swear, sometimes I think people hate their children. I'm gunning it to get through an intersection -- yes, the light is still green! -- well below the city speed limit of 30mph, when I spot a woman and her two little kids start to cross the street across my path. Note that this is totally normal behavior in NYC, all part of the spirit of coopetition in getting from A to B.

What was different today is that the woman was not holding her daughter's hand, so the little girl darted out directly into my path. It took two yells from me to have her stop -- yes, I was braking hard, but smoothly. My words were pretty benign like "WATCH OUT!!!".

The woman's response? in broken English: "you stop @55hole!". I finally had a modestly witty response to JA_'s comment: "Eyes up! I had a green light. Try again!" I think a guy on the sidewalk heard it and laughed. <sigh>
Old 04-25-08, 07:40 AM
stevo9er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are dangerous oboeguy..
Old 04-25-08, 07:45 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's right, I'm a bad man. Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

But seriously, that's not bad, avoiding a crash with a five year old, the possibility of it entirely created by the stupidity of the mom. Taking stock of the parenting in action: 1) it's OK to cross a street without looking if the signal says don't walk, 2) it's OK to run from mommy in the middle of a busy street, 3) those words mommy uses are OK to use, and worst of all 4) people on bikes are bad!
Old 04-25-08, 07:48 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
some people here actually try that in front of a police cruiser.
Old 04-25-08, 07:54 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People need to get this idea out of their heads, that pedestrians have 100% right of way, all the time, anywhere. It simply isn't the case. Not in Vermont, anyway, and we supposedly have "strict" pedestrian ROW laws.

I've scolded peds once or twice for blatant arsehattery too.
Old 04-25-08, 07:55 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
The one thing that annoys me most of living/commuting in NYC is the fact pedestrians have the nerve to get mad at you when they're crossing against the light and you're trying to get through. In all of my years crossing NYC streets I always assumed it was my responsibility to stay out of any vehicles' way when I'm crodding against the light, if someone honks I acknowledge it's my mistake. I've seen people crossing against the light and give others the finger when they're endangering themselves and motorists and cyclists. Sure she was probably startled but her hand should have been holding her daughter and eyes on any moving vehicles since they have the right of way.
Old 04-25-08, 08:49 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too bad that woman isn't an aberration. There's lots of people who don't bother to hold their kids hands when crossing the street. Then they get all indignant when their kid almost gets run over.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 04-25-08, 09:21 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Too bad that woman isn't an aberration. There's lots of people who don't bother to hold their kids hands when crossing the street. Then they get all indignant when their kid almost gets run over.
That's because the kids get *almost* run over, but not quite. Natural selection isn't given a chance to take over.
Old 04-25-08, 09:35 AM
DunderXIII

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Tricross Elite, Tricross Sport (*R.I.P), Mikado DeChamplain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually had a similar (but different) story yesterday. I guy in a minivan did a U-turn and ended-up half on the MUP to wait for his daughter who started walking towards the car without looking while I was coming towards them at 35km/h. Never slammed brakes that hard! First time I really put those Kool-Stops for a test and man do they brake.

I don't know what makes bicycles so hard to see or look for, perhaps it's the size (thinness) or the popular belief that they can't go fast. Even on a dedicated bike lane people just don't give a damn about being killed by a bicycle; it's impossible, it can't and won't ever happen.
Old 04-25-08, 09:41 AM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Um, most MUPs have speed limits considerably lower than 35 kph, so maybe that was part of why they weren't looking for you... not that they wouldn't have done the same thing on a road, because I think you're right about people not seeing bicycles, but on the pathway I think you have to take the expected overall speeds into account.
Old 04-25-08, 09:43 AM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been to New York, but these pedestrians sound completely insane. I'd be happy around here if drivers stop when I have the right of way.

I've never understood the righteous indignation of people who *know* they're breaking the law. Nuts.
Old 04-25-08, 09:45 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Underbridge
I've never understood the righteous indignation of people who *know* they're doing something stupid. Nuts.
Generalized.
Old 04-25-08, 10:02 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
My MIL seems to want to prove she's from downstate NY by dragging my kids into the street only in the middle of blocks and if she does find herself at an actual corner, only against the light.
Old 04-25-08, 10:18 AM
kenmc

Bikes: Giant FCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something similar happened to me a couple years ago - was caning it going up a hill through a green traffic light. Little anklebiter < 4-5 years old darts into the road. Slam on the brakes, barely miss the thing, yell something at the dad along the lines of "Holy **** man look after your ****in kid" - Bit fuzzy 4 years on, but that's the gist of it. Response : "You watch your ****in language".....
Hello????...... Not a parent myself yet, but I think I'd be more worried about nearly having a squished kid than one that learnt a new bad word....
Old 04-25-08, 10:22 AM
akatsuki

Bikes: Lynskey R210, Miyata 610, Anchor PCD3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is the way the law is written- it says that pedestrians are the most vulnerable, so they are generally allowed too much leeway. The truth is that pedestrians also have the most maneuverability and control over the situation. If we adopted rules where if a pedestrian is hit on the street anywhere outside of a crosswalk with the light means they are assumed to be at fault, I think it would reduce pedestrian casualties massively - coddling in that case actually worsens the situation.
Old 04-25-08, 10:40 AM
drizek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
That's because the kids get *almost* run over, but not quite. Natural selection isn't given a chance to take over.
I started reading his post as "too bad that woman...didn't...an abortion". I had to go back and reread it carefully.
Old 04-25-08, 10:59 AM
thebarerider

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drizek
I started reading his post as "too bad that woman...didn't...an abortion". I had to go back and reread it carefully.
I don't get it.
Old 04-25-08, 11:04 AM
Chiro69

Bikes: Marin Hybrid 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand your frustration with this particular pedestrian. However I have a problem with the title of your heading. JAP is a very racial slur, whether you try to hide it with (edstrian) or not. There are alot of different asian races out there so you donnot know if in fact they were japanese. She called you an xxxhole not a racial slur so why not just call her one back? Why use a racial slur?
Old 04-25-08, 11:07 AM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is a play on the JAM abbreviation (Jack A** Motorist), but I agree that it is a very bad idea, especially with the broken English comment.
Old 04-25-08, 11:24 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiro69
I understand your frustration with this particular pedestrian. However I have a problem with the title of your heading. JAP is a very racial slur, whether you try to hide it with (edstrian) or not. There are alot of different asian races out there so you donnot know if in fact they were japanese. She called you an xxxhole not a racial slur so why not just call her one back? Why use a racial slur?
I think in NY it's a different slur entirely. But I am pretty confident the OP wasn't thinking of any of the myriad gutter possibilities of his acronym.

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 04-25-08 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-25-08, 11:40 AM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a problem with all of the jaywalkers in the city. There was an elderly possibly homeless lady last night crossing, barely able to walk (with a walker/cart thing) and another person was trying to stop traffic getting her across the road. Not 25 metres down the road on either side was a crosswalk or set of lights - needless to say I didn't slow/yield for them - I yelled "Tell her to use the freaking crosswalk!" - her disability in walking should give MORE reason to use the crosswalk, FFS. I don't care about jaywalking, just don't ***** at me if I don't move for you - do it at your own peril, not mine.

As for the apparent "racial" slur - seriously, it's obviously not a slur in this context - why even bring it up? Racism hurts everyone in equal/opposite ways - and being ignorant and narrow minded enough to think it IS a slur is a touch on the silly side IMO and really only serves to perpetuate the racist side to the term.

This thread is about an idiot pedestrian, that is all.
Old 04-25-08, 11:42 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. Are you people seriously pulling the race card? What is wrong with you? The "broken English" was b/c what she said was, duh, in broken English. Is now the time to mention that English is *MY* second language? I guess so, although how "broken English" is even remotely racist is beyond me. Also, Jap =/= JAP*. This thread is about a dumb ped who almost got her kid killed. Nothing more. Don't you dare try to call me racist.

I think next time I'll fill out a disclaimer before posting.

(* And yes, "JAP" can be a slur in NYC but doesn't apply to a grown woman with two kids if you know the meaning)
Old 04-25-08, 12:03 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, was she asian or not?

I used to think that JAP(jack ass pedestrians) could be misconstrued as racial too. Then I though about JAW(jack ass walkers). But then somebody might say I'm a bigot against a certain facial area since its so near to a "chin". Then the whole racial problem just starts all over again.
Old 04-25-08, 12:11 PM
JustBrowsing
Señor Miembro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what exactly is "broken" about saying "You stop, *****hole"? That seems like a grammatically correct sentence to me. Or was it that she said it in some sort of accent?
Old 04-25-08, 12:30 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL mtnwalker. I'm almost afraid to make a statement on what I perceived to be the ethnicity of the JAS(troller). <snicker/>

As for what made it broken, two things: there was strong hint of non-USA dialect (don't mess with me -- I used to be a linguist) and also it was haltingly said, as much as something said quickly in anger can be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.