Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chainrings and grease: an instructive experience

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 11:56 PM
diamacleod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently made a chainring swap. Without thinking about it much, I slathered the securing nuts and bolts comprehensively with grease, to prevent them from seizing. During the installation some grease got on the chainring and/or spider faces where the two come in contact. The result was a chorus of light clicks during each pedal revolution, and no reasonable torquing of the bolts could stop it. The fix was to thoroughly degrease the mating faces of chainring and spider, and keep everything dry during the reinstall, (except for a little anti-seize carefully applied to just the chainring bolt threads).

Presumably these clicks were generated not by flexing or intermittent contact, but by very slight slipping of the chainring relative to the spider when static friction was broken as the chain yanked on the chainring during the pedal rotation. (Fixed wheel riders use this movement, at low chainring bolt torque, to center the chainring precisely). For anyone else besides me who needs reminding, the lesson is: confine any grease to the threads and make sure grease doesn’t get onto the chainring and spider mounting faces when the bolts are greased and inserted. (At least don’t lubricate those faces intentionally, as I have seen some forum gurus recommend. )

Other opinions? Is it worth greasing just the bolt flange, so all torque can be directed to the bolt threads? That surely wouldn't help much. Or the outside of the nut, in case it creates clicks by jerking about during deformation of the crankset? But are clicks ever created that way?
Old 01-20-13, 12:04 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
Another reminder of the importance of friction in our everyday lives. I also use only a very light (mostly solvent) oil on the chainring bolt threads on road bikes, since the rings are usually left on for life. In the real world, I'd rather drill out a chainring bolt if needed a few years down the road, than deal with bolts that might work loose.

On the track it's just the opposite, using well greased threads since these get changed routinely.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-20-13, 12:31 AM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Loctite. No grease.
Old 01-20-13, 08:27 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Another demonstration of the fallacy that "if some is good, a lot is better". Sometimes, like the Brylcreem slogan says, "a little dab'll do you".
Old 01-20-13, 08:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Funny I've lubed chainring bolts for over 3 decades with very good results. Shuts up clicks, let's the bolts be made real tight (and still take apart) and keeps things from rusting. BTW the torque of the rings should be transfered to the spider arms through the nut side of the bolt, not the threads. Andy.
Old 01-20-13, 11:28 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I've always greased chainring bolts and never had any problem. Maybe my torque is too weak for that.
Old 01-20-13, 11:48 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I always grease the threads. It allows you to get the bolts tighter and allows you to remove them in the future. I've never had one come loose.
Old 01-20-13, 12:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
Greasing or oiling the bolts isn't the issue. It does help for taking them apart in the future, and allows greater torque without holding the nut when assembling.

However, you want maximum friction between the chainring and the faces of the arms. If you depend only on the bolts to hold it together the chainring will work the bolts loose as the rotating crank changes the direction of stress. There isn't enough precision in the fit of the bolts in the arm or chainring to eliminate this movement, so chainring to arm friction is absolutely critical.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-20-13, 12:18 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
There can be two torque values when reading plans for a machinery build. One value with grease, light oil, loctite, etc...and a value dry. Two different numbers. I doubt if it make that much difference on our bikes. Just don't over torque
Old 01-20-13, 02:28 PM
dprayvd
makn'a phonecall to doggy

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jens to Udo: shut up, Bölts.