Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Where to begin

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Where to begin

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 07:30 PM
LewSchiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where to begin

Hello,
I'm a fairly healthy 66 years old. I'm 6'2" 250 pounds- recently lost over 20 so yay...want to exercise and lose more :-)
My last bike had a 3 speed Sturmey Archer Hub - just to give you an idea how long it's been.
I'd like to ride again...bike paths and level trails. I live in Littleton Colorado. There are nearby paths and other nice options.
I've been studying, went out to three LBS today and came home no more informed than when I left.
The shops I visited provided little help other than - "look over there". Well, Bicycle Village was pretty helpful but it was this or that Trek at +- $650.
I don't want 27 speeds..7 or 8 would be fine. I think I'd like a Dual Sport for a more comfortable ride but I still don't know what frame
size I should be looking for. At one shop when I asked about size the guy said "this one is a 70 and that one is 27.5". Seriously.
Anyway - while right now all I can afford is a straight up bike I'd like it to be something to which I can add an Ebike Kit as I do have Geezer Knees.
So...where to begin?
Thanks!!
Lew
Old 10-17-18, 08:06 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Yea, things changed a little since.
You are in a good bike rich area.

Id start with a used bike , hybrid (touring) (flatbar) (fitness)
try Craig's list.
at 67'2"...Guessing a large frame.
Flat bar with 700 x 35 tires a good start. 18 speed (but can change gearing to meet your needs as you ride more) .

Still some 3 speed riders out there, though a hybrid might be easier to find.

Amazing a bike shop didn't help you more. If you were there looking to buy?
$500 to $800... entry level bike... new at bike shop.

Not sure on "E" kits & what they'll fit.
?? Maybe Start with a "E" bike, you can set them for you or the bike to work harder. ??

Go to different shops, go a few times.
mine for info,
test ride a couple.

I'm 64, into riding bikes 4 years now. Really liking it.
a great way to help/maintain / improve fitness & health.

What ever you get, Get out there & ride. Have fun & learn
You'll be like many of us, have 5 or 6 bikes after a few years
Old 10-17-18, 08:33 PM
LewSchiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm prepared to have more than one...I just hope to avoid having 10 or 20 which is a tendency I seem to have.
Hybrid does seem to be the way to go at this point. Trek FX are around on CL for +- $350.
The shops - well Bicycle Village was the best. actually took some time with me. the others not so much at all.
Old 10-18-18, 12:53 AM
bogydave

Us
Originally Posted by LewSchiller
I'm prepared to have more than one...I just hope to avoid having 10 or 20 which is a tendency I seem to have.
Hybrid does seem to be the way to go at this point. Trek FX are around on CL for +- $350.
The shops - well Bicycle Village was the best. actually took some time with me. the others not so much at all.
A good relationship with a LBS is a real good thing
for any cyclist , but even more for us just starting out.

I have an ok one here in Alaska
& a real good one in SoCal,
Joel’s bicycle shop.

Last edited by bogydave; 10-18-18 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 08:40 AM
LewSchiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree about a good shop relationship. I'm sure there's one out there.
But after a lifetime in sales and customer service I was frankly appalled.
Old 10-31-18, 07:00 AM
cfultz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully you find a better bike shop!
Old 10-31-18, 07:07 AM
LewSchiller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did. Bicycle Broker in Wheat Ridge Colorado. Lee is terrific. I also visited a few E-Bike shops and they were helpful but Best E-Bike on Federal in Denver was....the best.
Old 10-31-18, 02:19 PM
bogydave

Originally Posted by LewSchiller
I did. Bicycle Broker in Wheat Ridge Colorado. Lee is terrific. I also visited a few E-Bike shops and they were helpful but Best E-Bike on Federal in Denver was....the best.
Pics of new bike ?
Old 10-31-18, 04:49 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
The most common mistake people make is getting a frame size too large. You're a tall person but older and overweight so the excessive reach on a large frame could be a problem if you have any circulatory issues, peripheral neuropathy, and whatnot. Back in the day when you knew bikes a frame your size had 565mm effective top tube length but now they try and sell you a frames with 585mm ETT (young wanna-be racers fit). So you have to pay attention to the top tube length and avoid excessive reach. I'm an older guy and about your height and look for 540 to 570 length ETT (effective top tube) frame sizes. I prefer frames on the small side of the fit range. I'm referring to road bike sizes, btw. Mountain bikes are sized differently but I wouldn't buy one if you intend to ride mostly on pavement. You might easily fit a medium sized or medium-large frame, so pay attention to the ETT measurement instead of the designated frame size. Bike sizing is more nonsensical and arbitrary these days. You can fix a too-small frame with a longer stem, but too large a frame can never fit properly.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 10-31-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-01-18, 05:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool frame size 101

straddle the bike .. ahead of the saddle , stand over the bar in flat shoes.

1 hand behind you on the saddle, the other on the handlebars

how far off the ground can you lift the bike?

I Like My 3 speed , Only want 8 or so you say..

I suggest you look for another Internal gear hub bike..
simpler to use and quite reliable..
Shimano makes hubs with 8 speeds , and another with 11..

The % difference between 1st & 8th is your gear ratio Range
the cog and chainring ratio (tooth counts) determines
what the low and high of that range, is..

I Combined my 3 speed with a gearbox crank, with 2
so I use the 3 speeds twice, once in low range, reduction gear,
and again in direct , for 6 over a wide range
chain never derails anywhere..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-30-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 12:27 AM
bogydave

Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
The most common mistake people make is getting a frame size too large.........
You can fix a too-small frame with a longer stem, but too large a frame can never fit properly.
+1
take your time to get a good fit.
without a proper fit, forget about comfort
Old 11-14-18, 11:51 PM
Davednconfused

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I could do it all over again, I'd get a basic idea of fit BEFORE ever purchasing a bike. Also, keep in mind there is a big difference between a fit and a sizing. I have spent probably close to $1000 finding a quality fit, and having previous mistakes fixed.
Old 11-26-18, 01:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
LewSchiller, I am 7 years your junior, don't live in the mountains, but ride a lot. Height is 6 foot, weight 230. Frame size Large. Medium is too cramped.
For rides 20 miles and under on relatively flat land I use my cruiser. It is 7 speed, 26 x 1.5 inch tires without knobs, and has fenders and a rear rack with a basket on it. I average 10-12 mph on it, and ride it mostly for short errands and on cold days when going fast is not fun. I find it comfortable for distances 20 and under. I have ridden it 40 miles, but found that it is too upright for comfort at that distance. Yesterday I rode it 10 miles and enjoyed it very much. Went for a road bike ride after that as it was in the 40's.

Had a Giant Cypress before the cruiser that I rode quite a bit as well. Good for 30 milers. Don't pin yourself down to one bike and think you have to buy that one. Look at other brands and other designs as you may find yourself on something unexpected.
Old 11-30-18, 04:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
E bike you say I'm 71 and still turn my own pedals...
Out here the local shop does mid drive conversions on MTB, for Hunters ..
Old 12-22-18, 08:45 AM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
If you haven’t already, I’d try Wheatridge Cyclery near 38th and Wadsworth. Most helpful bike store that I’ve been in.
Old 12-29-18, 11:45 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From what I know (now) at 71 is that bikes are for purpose. Like you, I prefer to find chassis I can work with in an evolutionary manner. I have a few bikes and have sold a bunch over time. Am also doing an eBike project. Craigslist (CL) is your friend. Mountain bikes are measured somewhat differently than road bikes. Hybrids somewhere in the middle. I suspect you may want to build a "gravel" bike. An efficient do=all ...

So what inseam? What arm length?

I'd start with a Specialized Hardrock Sport - an older one. Prolly $75 off CL. Get it serviced so it works and ride it around some. Think about the changes you want to make? It's a longish chassis, so moderately easy to make fit. Change stem and bars as needed to get the right reach. Change OEM seatpost for one with tilt adjustment so you can use aftermarket saddles a d slide to best position. Now you have basic fit

I am doing one. Nicely reinforced rear triangle so it will take rear hub motor torque well. Light'ish frame and some OK part like wheels. Over time, loose the low rent front fork in favor of a nice used air fork (in my case Maintou R7 Elite) which will loose over 3 lbs off the initial weight and transform the front end. Frame is roomy enough to take plus sized tires easily enough. So you can experiment with tire combos that suite your riding area best. I like Schwalbe Marathons for general trail riding.

Point being you can fit a medium sized mountain bike to a lot of bodies with aftermarket parts and thought. The parts are not horribly expensive unless you chase weight weenie gods. And in a few iterations you'll have a very comfortable bike that will do a lot.

I have seen these with high rise bars and drop bars doing duty as cruisers and as gravel bikes. It's up to you