Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What are some good tires for summer city commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What are some good tires for summer city commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 07:08 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have around 7000 miles on a set of 700 x 28 Mararhon Supremes. I will replace them this year with 32's. They no longer make the folding version in 28mm. I wanted to try the 32's anyway. I ran the same tire in 35mm for a year, but came to prefer the 28's. I'm not even going to mention punctures. (Care to guess why?)
Old 04-12-19, 12:09 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
This thread is already long and I admit I didn't read every post but - Continental RIDE Tour tires are my recommendation. I have one set on a road bike and 2 pairs on MTB commuters. Never had a flat, and the road bike set is ~4 years old. They're available for about US$25 online.
Old 04-13-19, 06:57 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
I would avoid Continental Ride Tour or Tour Ride or whatever they have changed the name to this week. I bought a set 26x1.75 and was disappointed. First problem is they are not round. Seriously. They are egg shaped and it isn’t from poor installation, I mounted and dismounted them several times and checked to make sure the bead was properly seated. They had a noticeable hop when riding but I didn’t bother with the hassle of sending them back since they were going on my beater commuter that only gets used for short trips anyway. Fortunately they wore out very quickly so I didn’t have to put up with them for long. At 1000 miles the rear was shot and the front was about 1/2 so that was all the reason I needed to put these turds in the trash.
I have had good luck with Paselas, they are becoming my favorite all around tires
Old 04-14-19, 10:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
@downwinded, 7,000 miles is extremely impressive. That would justify their price. And I hear that they have a good ride compared with the other Marathons.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-14-19, 01:52 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@downwinded, 7,000 miles is extremely impressive. That would justify their price. And I hear that they have a good ride compared with the other Marathons.
  • That mileage is indeed typical of a loaded touring bike for those tires, so one could get more miles if on a bike that isn't heavily ladened. The other great thing is that those tires are virtually flat proof, they are the tank of tires for a bike, something you need when touring.
Old 04-14-19, 03:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I thought Marathon Supremes sacrifice a bit of puncture protection in order to provide better performance. Now you're telling us they're virtually flat proof. Damn. I'll consider them next time. They're only $35 on sale now, but I don't need them now. They look really heavy. Do I have them confused with something else?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-14-19, 09:09 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

I thought Marathon Supremes sacrifice a bit of puncture protection in order to provide better performance. Now you're telling us they're virtually flat proof. Damn. I'll consider them next time. They're only $35 on sale now, but I don't need them now. They look really heavy. Do I have them confused with something else?
You can read the graphic on their website, and it shows them real high on flat protection: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...rathon_supreme They are sort of heavy at 380 grams but what you gain in flat protection you always gain in weight, and that's true with any tire. Note the availability of sizes too before you buy.

HOWEVER this is not the tire I thought it was either! I'm not sure what the mileage is on these, I was thinking of the Marathon Plus Greenguard which I think is their most durable and flat resistant they make, while this tire is heavy at 840 grams it's design for touring and not getting flats, or having a tire self destruct, something you don't want while touring, and it's rated the best touring tire available in the world as well as the lowest rolling resistance of any touring tire, even those that weigh half as much! https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...hon_Plus_HS440

Also see this one: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/marathon_420
Old 04-14-19, 09:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

The motor is in the front hub. It's not crazy. Some ebikes have a front hub motor, some have a rear hub motor, and some have a motor that drives the cranks. So yeah, if you have a front hub motor and it seizes, you're going over the bars. Maybe that is crazy. So they say they're replacing the bikes. Maybe they'll put in rear hub motors or crank motors.

Old 04-16-19, 07:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I've had very good luck with Michelin Lithions as a commuting/training tire. Super price on Chain Reaction right now.
$16 and it's a decent tire? That's outstanding, maybe time to stock up.
Old 04-17-19, 06:28 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I've always wondered about sidewall issues people have. Are they hitting curbs? I can't really see in my mind how this would ever come into play. Assuming on road, not mountain biking...
I just had a sidewall gash yesterday on a Conti 4000 s II rear tire. How? probably caught a bit of debris in the dark. You can't see everything, especially if it isn't shiny metallic. Anyway, the tire is trashed.
Old 04-17-19, 06:58 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Sidewalls on those tires are paper-thin, and very fragile if you hit a sharp rock with the side of the tire at just the right angle. I tried using the over-sized GP 4000 28's on some unpaved roads and they flatted every single time. I discovered the hard way that these are racing tires designed for immaculate pavement that's swept of debris regularly.
Old 04-17-19, 07:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Recently I put on a Continental Sport Contact II (700-28), and while it's twice the weight of the Rubino Pro tires that I've been using it has surprisingly low resistance. It should be a top choice for city commuting especially if you're considering touring tires.
Old 04-18-19, 12:00 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 192 Posts
I've got Schwalbe Marathon (note: not Marathon Plus) with "GreenGuard" protection. They are lighter than the Marathon Plus tires, and are real tough for our winter-damaged asphalt roads and paths, never ending construction debris zones, etc. I've got them squirreled away for my Peugeot commuter project. They ride reasonably well, but naturally I can feel the difference between them and my Panaracer tires.

To be honest though, I think a lot of noise is made about different tires. I run my Panaracer Pasela (regular wire bead, non-TourGuard version) on my steel Voyageur touring bike, which is filling in for commuting duty right now so I can break in the new B17 saddle. The Pasela tires have been excellent, and I run them at 95 pounds. Apart from the crap roads, it has been a treat to ride the Voyageur to work on those reasonably priced, nice riding tires. I carry patch kits and tire levers in my pannier just in case, and an attached frame pump, but knock on wood I haven't needed them yet.
Pick a common, well-regarded brand, the right size to get you over the humps in the road (32mm seems to be a good spot, mine are 35 since I also enjoy gravel and dirt paths and my commuter doubles as a rural / island rough road explorer). Have fun!
Old 05-03-19, 04:53 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I am wondering how many of you who commute with your bike also do regular rides? I commute about 60 miles a week, and do another 100 road riding. I currently have been running Bontrager AW1 with a Mr Tuffy liner, which has been overall a good tire. However, I moved since I bought them and now have in my commute about 1/3 of the commute on gravel covered asphalt. My concern is the increased wear I am seeing. I have seen a few tires on this thread and in my shopping. I am looking for lowest rolling resistance possible with the heavier tread.
Old 05-03-19, 11:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I do rides for fun, too. As I said before, I don't look for any puncture resistance at all, as I don't want to compromise the quality of the ride.

Old 05-03-19, 05:23 PM
WMBIGS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have those Bontrager AW1 700-28c on my commuter. Man those are draggy tires, I hate them. I have Scwalbe Big Apple 29x2.35 on another bike and they roll much better than the AW1's once up to speed. I think a supple side wall has a huge influence on how well a tire rolls.
Old 05-03-19, 09:04 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
I am wondering how many of you who commute with your bike also do regular rides? I commute about 60 miles a week, and do another 100 road riding. I currently have been running Bontrager AW1 with a Mr Tuffy liner, which has been overall a good tire. However, I moved since I bought them and now have in my commute about 1/3 of the commute on gravel covered asphalt. My concern is the increased wear I am seeing. I have seen a few tires on this thread and in my shopping. I am looking for lowest rolling resistance possible with the heavier tread.
I have several bikes, I commute on my touring bike, but ride a different bike on the weekends. The lowest rolling resistance with a thick thread will be the Schwalbe Marathon series of tires, these roll surprisingly well for a heavy tire, not as well as my regular road bike with Specialized Roubaix Pro tires but better then my previous touring tires; also the Schwalbe wear like iron and have great traction on dry and wet pavement. The rolling resistance thing was proven in a lab that's been testing tires for that in the last 5 or more years. I did put liners in my Schwalbe tires, not really sure if I needed those however, I guess better safe than sorry, but it's a bit of hassle to fix a flat on the rear with loaded panniers, stuff strapped onto the top of the rack and fenders. I don't foresee ever using a different brand of tire for my touring bike, I think I found the holy grail of tire for that purpose unless someone comes out with something a lot better.
Old 05-04-19, 02:21 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by WMBIGS
I have those Bontrager AW1 700-28c on my commuter. Man those are draggy tires, I hate them. I have Scwalbe Big Apple 29x2.35 on another bike and they roll much better than the AW1's once up to speed. I think a supple side wall has a huge influence on how well a tire rolls.
Originally Posted by greatscott
I have several bikes, I commute on my touring bike, but ride a different bike on the weekends. The lowest rolling resistance with a thick thread will be the Schwalbe Marathon series of tires, these roll surprisingly well for a heavy tire, not as well as my regular road bike with Specialized Roubaix Pro tires but better then my previous touring tires; also the Schwalbe wear like iron and have great traction on dry and wet pavement. The rolling resistance thing was proven in a lab that's been testing tires for that in the last 5 or more years. I did put liners in my Schwalbe tires, not really sure if I needed those however, I guess better safe than sorry, but it's a bit of hassle to fix a flat on the rear with loaded panniers, stuff strapped onto the top of the rack and fenders. I don't foresee ever using a different brand of tire for my touring bike, I think I found the holy grail of tire for that purpose unless someone comes out with something a lot better.
700-28 is about my max, I doubt a 32 would get in without a little rub. I am definitely going to have to check out the Schwalbe tires. With max load for work, it is 20-30 lbs max, plus my 170 lbs. so not a lot of weight to worry about. Anything other than work or the store is just a water bottle or two. Thanks folks!
Old 05-08-19, 05:55 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I do rides for fun, too. As I said before, I don't look for any puncture resistance at all, as I don't want to compromise the quality of the ride.
I added Mr Tuffy to my Continental GP4000 II tires after getting two punctures in a month 2 years ago on these tires (had the tires for less than two months!). Didn't get a puncture since then. From what I read online, it only add a few watt of resistance to the ride. Some say the edge of the Mr Tuffy will wear the tubes and cause flats. Since I replace my Conti for Schwalbe when it gets colder (just in case I do get a puncture, replacing a tire when it's cold is much worse than during fair weather), the Mr Tuffy is never at the same place so this problem is moot.