Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is a folding bike worth buying?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is a folding bike worth buying?

Old 03-10-19, 11:47 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I own a folding bike. The main use for it is picking up and dropping off rental cars. Enterprise is about 3 miles from my home. I have ridden 20 miles on it, but would not expect many people to say they enjoyed that. It is fun to ride in a way I can't really explain, just not big miles. And of course it comes with all the benefits of most folding bikes - theft prevention, keeping it out of the weather in the house or NOT on a bike rack behind a car but in the trunk of floor near back seats. 14" wheels. Looks like a circus clown bike. Folds to nothing. 20ish lbs.

I also admire a certain Bike Friday touring bike that packs into a hard suitcase that becomes a bike trailer at the flight/train destination. People put hundred of miles on those every week on bike tours. I've met them and they love their Bike Friday almost like a cult thingy. But they ain't $400 either. I could be happy on one of these I think.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-10-19 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 04:25 AM
Black Mamba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope your commuting is going well.

I have two bikes that I use to commute, depending on the circumstances - a hybrid and a folding bike. I bought the folding bike for days when I'm not cycling home after work - for example, meeting friends for a few drinks or travelling back from work with my partner. My commute is 7 miles and I was amazed when I started using my folding bike that the time and effort is about the same as with my hybrid. So I don't think the size of the bike will be an issue for you.

Now I have a folding bike, there have been lots of circumstances where I've made use of it (e.g. taking it on holiday, splitting modes of transport when it would be too far to cycle, etc.) so I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase.
Old 03-30-19, 05:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I own a folding bike. The main use for it is picking up and dropping off rental cars. Enterprise is about 3 miles from my home. I have ridden 20 miles on it, but would not expect many people to say they enjoyed that. It is fun to ride in a way I can't really explain, just not big miles.

And of course it comes with all the benefits of most folding bikes - theft prevention, keeping it out of the weather in the house or NOT on a bike rack behind a car but in the trunk of floor near back seats. 14" wheels. Looks like a circus clown bike. Folds to nothing. 20ish lbs.

I also admire a certain Bike Friday touring bike that packs into a hard suitcase that becomes a bike trailer at the flight/train destination. People put hundred of miles on those every week on bike tours. I've met them and they love their Bike Friday almost like a cult thingy. But they ain't $400 either. I could be happy on one of these I think.
After my two road bikes and a hybrid, I have thought about a folding bike as my N+1. We have an SUV, and most cars I rent are big enough to accommodate regular bikes, and the rental agencies I use offer pick-up-and-return service.

I mostly cycle-commute in the reverse, off-peak direction and the Commuter Rail allows fully assembled bikes on board, but only folding bikes in the peak hours. So a folding bike would be handy to get to and from the stations to home and destination, and to keep the bike with me (though I usually bring and keep my even my regular bikes with me anywhere I go.).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-30-19 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 03:58 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Not for me. I live in Mayor Pete's town. Anything smaller than a 26 inch tire would get swallowed by a pot hole. PS. turn around city. Don't believe the hype.
Old 04-16-19, 05:30 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
I bought a folding bike 18 months ago,

It’s a larger-wheeled model, I don’t need a small fold.

i ended up using it so much that I’ve pimped it with lightweight components and a 105 drivetrain.

It’s paid for itself - folders go for free on trains in DE and CH, where I mainly work.

Wonderful things.
Old 04-18-19, 01:32 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I recently got in an Origami Crane 8, which fits the $400 price tag (presuming the OP hasn't already bought one in the last three months). It's not a bad ride once it's all put together. Will try and get a thread up tonight if I find some time.

M.