Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

No, chocolate milk does not improve the recovery of athletes (French version only)

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

No, chocolate milk does not improve the recovery of athletes (French version only)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 08:46 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

No, chocolate milk does not improve the recovery of athletes (French version only) | Scientifique en chef

Must know French or know how to use a translate site

I used to drink a glass of chocolate milk after my commute home, thinking the benefits overtook the sugar spike. Not too sure anymore...
Old 02-11-19, 10:52 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I knew I should have taken French instead of Spanish in HS.
Old 02-12-19, 01:13 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I knew I should have taken French instead of Spanish in HS.
En California saber Frances no te sirve para nada.
Old 02-12-19, 01:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I had my first dietary breakthrough when I quite consuming milk and all non-cultured milk products when I was racing 40 years ago. Last year my GP strongly urged me to go dairy-free (again). I did. Another breakthrough. I feel better at 66 than I ever did as a kid. The chocolate milk ads were lost on me from day one.

Ben
Old 02-12-19, 06:30 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
As I understand it, the whole "recovery window" idea has been deemed to be somewhat overrated. Yes you might absorb nutrients faster, but unless you are doing a crazy amount of volume each day (like a grand tour), and assuming you eat enough, then nutrient absorption likely isn't the limiting factor in your recovery. The meal you eat a couple of hours later will be absorbed just as well (albeit a bit more slowly).
Old 02-12-19, 07:06 AM
BloomBikeShop
BloomBikeShop.com

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
The National Dairy Council will do its best to make sure there isn't an English version available.
Old 02-12-19, 07:49 AM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I never understood people drinking chocolate milk after a workout, or bike ride. Milk bloats me so bad I'd rather not eat or drink anything after a ride than drink milk.
Old 02-12-19, 09:21 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by BonkonFleet
I never understood people drinking chocolate milk after a workout, or bike ride. Milk bloats me so bad I'd rather not eat or drink anything after a ride than drink milk.
Milk doesn't bloat everyone. It is, in theory, a good blend of carbs and protein for a post-workout recovery drink.
Old 02-12-19, 10:55 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

En California saber Frances no te sirve para nada.
so true
Old 02-12-19, 11:29 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by BonkonFleet
Have you tried lactaid? You probably just have reduced lactase enzyme.
Old 02-12-19, 11:46 AM
redlude97

Here is the main article referenced to make their point https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/b...-2018-0152.pdf
The comparison is between drinking chocolate milk or gatorade of equal calorie/kg following a 40km TT and then allowing the athletes to consume whatever they wanted in the following day. If the cyclists didn't drink chocolate milk they naturally consumed more protein in post meals to make up for it, and ended up consuming more calories, carbs, fat, and protein overall than the chocolate milk group. So while chocolate milk may not provide an added performance benefit, it may be a way to curb hunger following a hard ride and keep food consumption in check. That's been my experience as well, a post ride drink containing protein+carbs(not necessarily milk) allows me not to gorge on pizza or a greasy burger right after
Old 02-12-19, 12:22 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Well, if chocolate milk isn't going to be the magic bullet, I'll just have to fall back on chocolate iced cream filled doughnuts.

Should I buy some Krispy Kreme stock and go on daytime TV to push this new post-exercise recovery technique? It'll be at least two or three years until anyone can come out with a rigorous scientific study to prove it doesn't work!
Old 02-12-19, 12:26 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Milk doesn't bloat everyone. It is, in theory, a good blend of carbs and protein for a post-workout recovery drink.
And it's delicious!
Old 02-12-19, 12:39 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Well, if chocolate milk isn't going to be the magic bullet, I'll just have to fall back on chocolate iced cream filled doughnuts.

Should I buy some Krispy Kreme stock and go on daytime TV to push this new post-exercise recovery technique? It'll be at least two or three years until anyone can come out with a rigorous scientific study to prove it doesn't work!
Someone beat you to it:

Old 02-12-19, 02:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
Fact. My recovery nutrients often include a convenience store stop for coffee and chocolate donuts.

I've lost 15 lbs on this recovery diet, down from 165 to 150. Well, that, and burning 3,000 calories per ride.

I did skip the cigarettes. Too many empty calories in those candy cigs.
Old 02-12-19, 04:28 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by redlude97
Here is the main article referenced to make their point https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/b...-2018-0152.pdf
The comparison is between drinking chocolate milk or gatorade of equal calorie/kg following a 40km TT and then allowing the athletes to consume whatever they wanted in the following day. If the cyclists didn't drink chocolate milk they naturally consumed more protein in post meals to make up for it, and ended up consuming more calories, carbs, fat, and protein overall than the chocolate milk group. So while chocolate milk may not provide an added performance benefit, it may be a way to curb hunger following a hard ride and keep food consumption in check. That's been my experience as well, a post ride drink containing protein+carbs(not necessarily milk) allows me not to gorge on pizza or a greasy burger right after
That's one of the articles, not necessarily the main one (there are no main one). That article only followed 12 cyclists. No research were done with a large sample size hence why no main article. There is a meta-analysis article linked to it but even they said that "larger sample sizes are warranted"
Old 02-12-19, 04:49 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by SylvainG
That's one of the articles, not necessarily the main one (there are no main one). That article only followed 12 cyclists. No research were done with a large sample size hence why no main article. There is a meta-analysis article linked to it but even they said that "larger sample sizes are warranted"
well the meta analysis found positive results contrary to the article(as translated to english) so I meant the only one quoted in the article that supports the premise
A larger study, released in 2017, however, sways the balance of evidence on the side of skeptics. This is a meta-analysis - that is, a study that reviews a large number of published studies on the same topic and therefore results in a more robust outcome - that also concludes that chocolate milk has no benefit from the point of view of sports recovery. She has appeared in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. After analyzing 33 studies including markers of recovery, effort, burnout, heart rate and lactate and creatine kinase levels in elite athletes, researchers write that chocolate milk offers no advantage compared to placebos or sports drinks.
Originally Posted by Eur J Clin Nutr.
In conclusion the present systematic review and meta-analysis, revealed that CM consumption after exercise improved TTE compared to placebo or CHO + PRO + FAT drinks. Furthermore, CM consumption led to lower blood lactate compared to placebo. Therefore, CM either provides similar or superior results on recovery indices compared to other recovery drinks and thus represents an alternative and often economic replacement. Further investigations with larger sample sizes and more rigorous methodology will help to elucidate the effect of CM on recovery from exercise.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29921963

If you don't have access to the full article I can email a PDF
Old 02-12-19, 05:43 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Pfft!!!! Nothing beats a post-ride cold beer. Nothing!
Old 02-12-19, 05:47 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Pfft!!!! Nothing beats a post-ride cold beer. Nothing!
I like the way you think good sir!
Old 02-12-19, 06:02 PM
SylvainG

well the meta analysis found positive results contrary to the article(as translated to english) so I meant the only one quoted in the article that supports the premise

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29921963

If you don't have access to the full article I can email a PDF
Yes, but each of the studies within the meta-analysis didn't have a large sample size hence why the meta-analysis said as its last line of its conclusion "larger sample sizes are warranted "
Old 02-12-19, 06:08 PM
redlude97

Yes, but each of the studies within the meta-analysis didn't have a large sample size hence why the meta-analysis said as its last line of its conclusion "larger sample sizes are warranted "
That doesn't mean that the conclusions drawn are incorrect, otherwise there is no evidence to back up the article, then what is the point of the article? Certainly not what the title implies then if you want to take that position.
Old 02-12-19, 06:10 PM
eja_ bottecchia

I like the way you think good sir!
Gracias!
Old 02-12-19, 06:22 PM
SylvainG

That doesn't mean that the conclusions drawn are incorrect, otherwise there is no evidence to back up the article, then what is the point of the article? Certainly not what the title implies then if you want to take that position.
Yes, it doesn't mean that the conclusion are incorrect but to me, it means that studies with a larger sample size are needed to sway in one direction or the other. Personally, since last Fall, I try to limit my fiberless simple sugar intake and this article makes me wonder if, beside its great (to me) taste, drinking CM is worth it, dietary.
Old 02-12-19, 06:28 PM
redlude97

Yes, it doesn't mean that the conclusion are incorrect but to me, it means that studies with a larger sample size are needed to sway in one direction or the other. Personally, since last Fall, I try to limit my fiberless simple sugar intake and this article makes me wonder if, beside its great (to me) taste, drinking CM is worth it, dietary.
In almost all the studies the placebo is a fiberless sugar drink compared to chocolate milk. There is no question(according to this article as well) that simple sugars are a great recovery after cycling, the only question is whether CM provides additional benefit.
Old 02-12-19, 06:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If your body is depleted after a hard ride, then anything will act as a recovery drink. It doesn't matter if it's chocolate milk or Gatorade or beer or some other carb or sugar rich drink, your body will use whatever it is given at that time. Studies like these are pointless and prove nothing. Food and beverage manufacturers will do anything they can to promote their product as being superior, but in the end they all work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.