Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

New to Garmin, a few questions

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 07:21 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts

I bought a 520 Plus. I'm using it with a power meter over ANT+ which seems to be working fine. However, I have four questions:
1. Is a speed sensor necessary? My bike came with an ANT+ speed sensor but I haven't installed it. I seem to get pretty accurate speed results with just the GPS. Should I install the speed sensor?
2. Do I need to be running the Connect App on the phone in order for the computer to connect to my phone? It doesn't seem to connect otherwise, so I may have the answer right there.
3. I updated the firmware (quick) and maps (holy crap that took a while). How often should I update the maps? That wasn't hard, it just took forever.
4. I think I need to "star" segments in Strava to get live segments (I'm a Summit member), is that correct?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-19, 10:01 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
1- not necessary. The speed sensor is significantly quicker to react.
2- Garmin Connect is necessary. The Garmin devices are very low-powered computers. Using the phone off-loads some of the work onto a much faster computer. You can transfer activity by using a wire (that doesn't use Garmin Connect at all).
3- The maps take a while. They aren't updated that frequently (about 2 a year, maybe).
4- (don't use strava.)
Old 04-08-19, 10:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
2- Garmin Connect is necessary. The Garmin devices are very low-powered computers. Using the phone off-loads some of the work onto a much faster computer. You can transfer activity by using a wire (that doesn't use Garmin Connect at all).
)
Huh ?. Never heard this. What "work" gets processed by the Connect Mobile app ?.

Only thing I was aware of is the BT connection to the app is to get a completed ride up to whatever on-line/cloud based ride tacking site you use, to download courses via BT from the app or from the Garmin Connect website, for live track function, or for message/call notification. Learn me, as I'm puzzled.

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-08-19 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 10:30 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Huh ?. Never heard this. What "work" gets processed by the Connect Mobile app ?.

Only thing I was aware of is the BT connection to the app is to get a completed ride up to whatever on-line/cloud based ride tacking site you use, to download courses via BT from the app or from the Garmin Connect website, for live track function, or for message/call notification. Learn me, as I'm puzzled.
I was replying to his question here. Garmin Connect needs to be running for a "connection to a phone". If you aren't doing anything with a phone, you don't need GC at all.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
2. Do I need to be running the Connect App on the phone in order for the computer to connect to my phone? It doesn't seem to connect otherwise, so I may have the answer right there.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-09-19 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 10:40 AM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I bought a 520 Plus. I'm using it with a power meter over ANT+ which seems to be working fine. However, I have four questions:
1. Is a speed sensor necessary? My bike came with an ANT+ speed sensor but I haven't installed it. I seem to get pretty accurate speed results with just the GPS. Should I install the speed sensor?
3. I updated the firmware (quick) and maps (holy crap that took a while). How often should I update the maps? That wasn't hard, it just took forever.
4. I think I need to "star" segments in Strava to get live segments (I'm a Summit member), is that correct?

Thanks!
1 - the speed senor is going to be a little more accurate, and as noted, will be quicker to update when you're moving.
2- Varying reports on this, to be safe just run the connect app. (the garmin should connect via bluetooth either way, but power management settings on your phone might interrupt it if it's not running)
3- I'm a geek, so I constantly update, just because. And yes, always seems to take forever.
4- Live segments are one of the most fun things about a connected garmin, and yes, you'll need to star any segments that you want to automatically pop up when you're riding live.

Joe
Old 04-08-19, 05:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
I was replying to his question here. Garmin Connect needs to be running for a "connection to a phone". If you aren't doing anything with a phone, you don't nee GC at all.
Yes, that clarifies it.
Old 04-08-19, 07:45 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Old 04-09-19, 05:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I will echo what everyone else says, USE the speed sensor. Its way more accurate and if GPS cuts out or what have you it takes over and all that.

I use the connect app its really nice, but you can just use the computer program also or neither and just read off the head unit but the app is my favorite.

The strava live segments works fine. I tried that but I found it kind of sucked the life out my rides sometimes because I was always watching for segments and KOM's and I forgot to actually enjoy the ride. I no longer use that feature.

the updates I can not speak of, I don't have the plus model but I wish I did. I have the standard 520 from a few years back and LOVE it I imagine the plus is just as excellent.