Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it? Spalding Blade

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is it worth it? Spalding Blade

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 11:15 AM
CJ C

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CCrew
That was probably part of your braking issue also. The cheap pads.... lets just say you usually get what you pay for.

On road calipers I've found that if I can''t get Kool stops then dura-ace pads work ok.
the LBS got my brakes to stop me on a dime with just a light finger pull. sometimes you just gotta pay for experienced bike fixer guys.
Old 06-11-11, 12:30 PM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So i took the bike for it test run, and boy is it way faster than my SS cruiser. I was flying and from a stop getting to cruising speed in seconds!!!!

the downside is, I FEEL EVERY ROAD IMPERFECTION!!! i swear at one point i ran over a candy wrapper and felt it in my hands and seat. so i quickly learned that any bumps or choppy road to get out of the saddle. also found out that my weight is now more spread out through my legs hands and not all on my butt like with the cruiser, which my wrists took a beating that it hasnt dealt with in years. only rode in the drops a few times as it felt a tad awkward. its a fun bike and the whole time i kept pushing myself harder each mile.

with the cruiser i am never scared of loose gravel, holes, or bumps/cracks but now with the increased speed and skinny tires i find that i am not looking that far ahead and more towards the street to see whats gonna make me crash

all in all its was really fun fixing the bike and gonna be even more fun riding it. next weekend i got planned a 30 miler
Old 06-14-11, 07:19 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today i commuted on my Spalding Blade, and hate to say it but the cruiser is just more relaxing and peaceful type of ride in the morning. now on the way home i go ballzz out so i suspect this is where the blade will win me back.
to give an example of my leisurely morning rides and how slow i roll i was on a road bike this morning and a 60 year old man on a full suspension mountain bike with what looked like extra knobby tires over took me and within .25 of a mile was a block ahead of me.

the Blade may not end up my full-time commuter but its great to now have a choice on how i want to ride to work
Old 06-16-11, 02:17 PM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My tushie is a bit sore from the ride on tuesday, i find it funny that the 10 miler on saturday didnt hurt but the commute on tuesday did. I was planning on getting a new saddle anyway but now thinking i should just break in my bum bum on a few more rides to see if i could save money and not switch?
Old 07-02-11, 09:34 PM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well the saddle never got comfy, so scooped up a specialized body geometry on ebay for $15 hope that will help the tushy and "other parts".

i now find that i like to ride on the hoods, which now makes the stem shifters even more of a pain when sprinting from a stop light.

weighed he bike today, using the common scientific way of bathrooms scale and subtracting my weight. its a 30 pound bike??? there is nothing on it who can it be that much?
Old 07-02-11, 10:44 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's 30 pounds because it is an older, steel bike with lower end components (I think) and I think steel wheels (maybe). None of that is really a terrible thing, it's just what it is. It really is a nice, clean looking bike though.

As for the rough ride you mention, that seems kind of odd for a steel bike. I may have missed this info, but what size/brand/model of tires did you go with. That bike can probably fit some decent size tires, so you could go with a different model tire in a wider size, if it will fit. And if you have steel wheels, aluminum ones will certainly be lighter. Of course, all these things cost money, so it depends how much it bothers you.
Old 07-02-11, 10:48 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, and I had to replace the saddle on my new Kona Jake too. The WTB Rocket V did not work at all for me. I went with a fairly cheap one from Performance, and so far so good. Unless you have a model that you've used before, you just never know about saddles. At least I don't.
Old 07-02-11, 11:39 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about the weight just ride it. I bet its still alot lighter than the cruiser you have. =)

Hopefully you found a saddle that works pretty good for you.

Compared to your cruiser most road bikes will seem pretty harsh. I used to feel that way about road bikes, but the last few months I have commuter mostly on road bikes and you kinda get used to the feeling a bit and also do alot more unweighing of you body over bumps etc. Its fun to gave a couple bikes that are different from each other.
Old 07-03-11, 12:31 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waynesworld
It's 30 pounds because it is an older, steel bike with lower end components (I think) and I think steel wheels (maybe). None of that is really a terrible thing, it's just what it is. It really is a nice, clean looking bike though.

As for the rough ride you mention, that seems kind of odd for a steel bike. I may have missed this info, but what size/brand/model of tires did you go with. That bike can probably fit some decent size tires, so you could go with a different model tire in a wider size, if it will fit. And if you have steel wheels, aluminum ones will certainly be lighter. Of course, all these things cost money, so it depends how much it bothers you.
i have aluminum wheels, will need to check in the morning what tires i bought (i bought the color not the brand, newbie mistake).

i guess when i mention the ride is rough its just on my butt and "twig & berries" which has to do with the Murry saddle and 27x1 1/4 tires. the ride is not that bad and as i get used to the riding position it gets better each time, except for my butt bones.

do the components add that much weight? wonder how much the crank weighs? it looks heavy. I almost won a carbon crankset on ebay it went for $57 and i told myself "dont waste time it will end up selling at $120" still kicking myself for not bidding higher. but yes all good things cost money and i dont know how much i want to throw into it as it runs darn good right now and i am allready thinking of just saving for a four season commuter. ive kept the "upgrade-itis" in check so far
Old 07-03-11, 12:43 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by monsterpile
Don't worry about the weight just ride it. I bet its still alot lighter than the cruiser you have. =)

Hopefully you found a saddle that works pretty good for you.

Compared to your cruiser most road bikes will seem pretty harsh. I used to feel that way about road bikes, but the last few months I have commuter mostly on road bikes and you kinda get used to the feeling a bit and also do alot more unweighing of you body over bumps etc. Its fun to gave a couple bikes that are different from each other.
its like 11lbs light than the cruiser, cannot complain there. weight gets to you when you carry a bike up and down to the third floor every day.

your right after riding a ballon tire cruiser that can soak up any pothole without getting out of the saddle, any bike will be be harsh. i just to stand on the pedals when i see bumps with the road bike.

i love having two totally different kinds of bikes, its nice to have that choice when i wake up. yesterday i was a bit blah so i took the cruiser as you cant help but whistle or sing while riding it. today i wanted a high heartrate workout so i took the road bike to the MUP. on the MUP i found a big hill and it kicked but so bad i turned around and went home hardest i ever pushed myself since riding again. it hurt like heck and legs burned bad, but still it was great and wouldnt change a thing.
Old 07-03-11, 12:53 AM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems like a good plan. The crank may be quite heavy, but I'm not sure how much more than others. The other components won't be a ton heavier than their lighter counterparts, but it all adds up. I would think that the bulk of the heaviness is in the frame, but I'm no weight expert.

As far as tires, yours may be fine, but IMHO, tires can really transform a bike. All the contact points, where you contact the bike, and where the bike contacts the road, can make a huge difference. I had tires on order before I received my latest bike. But that was a cyclocross bike, with cyclocross tires. As I'm using it as my road bike, it was a no-brainer.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the bike will never be really light, it just isn't made that way. However, there is no reason why you cannot make it more comfortable. Also, the weight isn't really too big a thing. Hell, I'll bet my Jake weighs in the high twenties, though I've never checked. Doing small things to make it work out for now, and saving for whatever it is that you want, seems like a great idea.
Old 07-05-11, 09:45 PM
jatree

Bikes: 1983 Miyata 610

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is looking real nice. Did anyone ever post the specs of the bike? It looks really similar to one I'm checking out on craigslist (https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2478309830.html) and I was hoping to get some more info and opinions on the price or if I should go for it. Don't mean to threadjack!

So you are satisfied with it as a commuter? What kind of rides do you usually take it on?

I like how the above looks, its about my size though I need to go for a ride and it's in my price range. Well, I realize I'll have to put in some work, probably 700c tires and money to make it what I want and I know nothing about building bikes nor do I have the tools. A lot of great shops in the area though.

You might have inspired me...
Old 07-06-11, 08:35 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
JaTree,

i think if you google spalding blade velospace a person listed some detailed specs. the CL one you linked is the exact same one i have.

I end up not commuting on it as much as i thought, but now it turned me into a road bike guy. I use it for pushing my limits and speeds on the MUP and love the thing. the only reason i dont commute on it more is my beach cruiser is just so plush and comfy so i take that 80% of the time.

My opinion may differ as i got the bike free as it was my bike when i was 15-20 years old. but its a very nice ride and to me more comforatable than my friends aluminum $900 road bike, it soaks up the bumps better than hers. my spalding components are cheap and apparently heavy but still work just fine.

Youtube and some basic tools you already have around, can save you money. i spent the duckets at the LBS on the brakes just because i rather not be fling down a hill or street and trust my own wrenching with my life

the tires are 27inch not 700c, i found the selection to be smaller that 700c but still satisfactory. i ride the bike with all the original parts except a new rear wheel, brake pads and tires.

is it perfect? no.
can i keep up with kitted out roadies? no but thats the engine i think not the bike
am i having fun? heck yes!

say you can get it for $125 (or even $100) and do the adjustments yourself, that means you are way ahead of the game!!! it has little eyelets for a rack which makes it great for commuting purposes.

old road bikes are darn capable of anything i have found.
Old 07-06-11, 10:53 AM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJ C
JaTree,

i think if you google spalding blade velospace a person listed some detailed specs. the CL one you linked is the exact same one i have.

I end up not commuting on it as much as i thought, but now it turned me into a road bike guy. I use it for pushing my limits and speeds on the MUP and love the thing. the only reason i dont commute on it more is my beach cruiser is just so plush and comfy so i take that 80% of the time.

My opinion may differ as i got the bike free as it was my bike when i was 15-20 years old. but its a very nice ride and to me more comforatable than my friends aluminum $900 road bike, it soaks up the bumps better than hers. my spalding components are cheap and apparently heavy but still work just fine.

Youtube and some basic tools you already have around, can save you money. i spent the duckets at the LBS on the brakes just because i rather not be fling down a hill or street and trust my own wrenching with my life

the tires are 27inch not 700c, i found the selection to be smaller that 700c but still satisfactory. i ride the bike with all the original parts except a new rear wheel, brake pads and tires.

is it perfect? no.
can i keep up with kitted out roadies? no but thats the engine i think not the bike
am i having fun? heck yes!

say you can get it for $125 (or even $100) and do the adjustments yourself, that means you are way ahead of the game!!! it has little eyelets for a rack which makes it great for commuting purposes.

old road bikes are darn capable of anything i have found.
Great breakdown of the bike and I think the price range he said is more reasonable if its relatively ready to ride. If it needs alot of work you can do better.
Old 07-06-11, 09:43 PM
jatree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thank you for all the info!

I couldn't find too many specs but your experiences is valuable. I may try to talk the seller down to $1-125. I've been looking for a while for my first "real" bike so still doing some research to find out if I will have to make any upgrades and what that would cost me to have a fun bike that I can ride on the weekends and commute on and enjoy.

Thanks again and if it ends up being the one, I'll make sure to add on to this thread with some pictures.
Old 07-07-11, 07:46 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jatree
Wow thank you for all the info!

I couldn't find too many specs but your experiences is valuable. I may try to talk the seller down to $1-125. I've been looking for a while for my first "real" bike so still doing some research to find out if I will have to make any upgrades and what that would cost me to have a fun bike that I can ride on the weekends and commute on and enjoy.

Thanks again and if it ends up being the one, I'll make sure to add on to this thread with some pictures.
here are some specs for that bike
https://velospace.org/node/24948
scroll below the pictures for them

i checked the wheels i bought and they are "cheng shin" so far they are good. i cant say if they ride better than any others as i have no comparison base yet.
Old 07-07-11, 05:28 PM
jatree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that one but I guess I was trying to find the original price as well as the frame material. All I've been able to gather so far is that it is steel but what kind? This bike may have more potential than most expect.
Old 07-07-11, 09:33 PM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i will check my frame if there is any markings that say what kind. i assumed its a lugged steel frame and gave no mind of further inspection.

i just replaced the Murray seat on it with a used Specialized body geometry saddle i scooped up from ebay for $15. i am hoping the cut out will be softer on my family jewels, will be taking it for a 15 miler on sat morning.
Old 07-08-11, 03:22 PM
jatree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate it. I don't think this particular seller is willing to budge much from his price.

That new seat will certainly be softer on your important bits - I met the physician who made the first of those seats and sold them to specialized.
Old 07-08-11, 04:51 PM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Having a comfy set of twig and berrys is VERY important!

It seems to be a fun project for you, with how you got it and the memories it holds for you.

Don't worry about how much it weighs. JUST RIDE IT!
Old 07-08-11, 09:27 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
second/third it. Ride the bike. I just picked one up and am enjoying it. Put the bare mechanics to it to test the fit and pin-point the work items . Now stripping for total overhall and cheap parts bin upgrades.Maybe 1 or 2 nice bits from the LBS. Best addition are the old Velo orange fenders for commuting duty. I don't much worry about weight cause I'm slow on anything I ride, doctors orders.

I liked the black frame so much, I had to strip the decals off and hit the lugs edges with the gold paint pens. Really makes it stand out.
Old 07-10-11, 10:15 PM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jatree
Appreciate it. I don't think this particular seller is willing to budge much from his price.

That new seat will certainly be softer on your important bits - I met the physician who made the first of those seats and sold them to specialized.
sucks the guy is firm on the price, but just keep looking craigslist has many used schwinn's popping up all the time and some old fuji's too.
6 degree bacon on that Dr. and his saddle design, its a genius idea!

"
Originally Posted by jr59
Having a comfy set of twig and berrys is VERY important!

It seems to be a fun project for you, with how you got it and the memories it holds for you.

Don't worry about how much it weighs. JUST RIDE IT!
"

i have been riding it like crazy, once a week to work (the rest i commute on my other bike) and do 15 milers on saturday and sunday.
the weight is only the issue as i live on the third floor and after a taxing ride carrying the thing up is tiresome when i need to carry the other bike down to take my son to the park.

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
second/third it. Ride the bike. I just picked one up and am enjoying it. Put the bare mechanics to it to test the fit and pin-point the work items . Now stripping for total overhall and cheap parts bin upgrades.Maybe 1 or 2 nice bits from the LBS. Best addition are the old Velo orange fenders for commuting duty. I don't much worry about weight cause I'm slow on anything I ride, doctors orders.

I liked the black frame so much, I had to strip the decals off and hit the lugs edges with the gold paint pens. Really makes it stand out.
i wonder if the previous owners of yours covered the gold with touch up, mine was always gold, but i cant remember if i may have done that to it when i was a teen?

its a wonder how an old bike still rides great with minimal workings and major abuse. the fact i am still rolling on most of the original parts & bits is amazing after all i have done to it over the years. crap i may have just jinxed myself
Old 07-10-11, 10:34 PM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so took the new seat for a 15 miler on saturday, i set it to level and rode off. i should have cut the ride short as by the first mile i knew it wasn't comfortably set up but i was already on the way to the MUP wanted to get a good work out in in the time i allotted. (kids bday party to attend) the ride home from the MUP was almost unbearable and was pedaling only 8mph and mostly coasting.

today i set the seat at my normal angle (nose tilty downy) and it felt good. but yet my wrenching skills and lack of common sense took over. two miles into the ride to the MUP i sat up to ride no hands and my seat "popped back to level". apparently i didn't tighten the bolt good enough. and again instead of learning and going back home, or learning hey take a wrench with you, i just pulled over hit the nose with my hand to point it down. well i hit it too hard and it pointed WAY down. I still hopped on the bike and with the first weight shift it went back to level. but as the knot head i am, i still rode on, but only rode 10 miles. At every stop sign or light i had to dismount then smack the nose down just to get that .5 of a mile before it popped back to level again. but when the seat was nose down for those few minutes it felt pretty good.

....i now realize it doesnt matter the saddle/seat i am a nose tilter downer. two bikes four different saddles and the only comfortable position is tilted down.

Last edited by CJ C; 07-10-11 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 07:29 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the new seat on my other bike has been like riding on a little pocket of air. on my BLADE i still haven't ridden it since Sunday, my trouser furniture still has not forgiven me yet.
Old 07-18-11, 08:54 AM
CJ C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oops forgot to take pics of my new saddle. Its not pointed down as much anymore its more level no as i found this angle to be a compromise of the two.

checking ebay and CL for a new derailleur, a 7 cassette/freewheel and some compact carbon handle bars. i know carbon on a vintage is a no no, but hoping that the compact bars will get me to ride in the drops more.

if a get a third bike i may take this bike apart and polish all the metal parts and put it back together with downtube shifters.

Last edited by CJ C; 07-18-11 at 09:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.