Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

What is the most sought after vintage BMX bike?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

What is the most sought after vintage BMX bike?

Old 11-01-16, 01:29 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Kastan made a righty fork in the 90's, I keep forgetting about that one.

1989 Kastan KEX Pro - BMXmuseum.com
Old 11-06-16, 09:50 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by combover
most sought after would have to be the Cook Bros 26" 3-Bar Cruiser....only the elite collectors can now afford them ...unless you get lucky....Skyway also built a 24" T/A Cruiser that was ONLY built for their factory team riders....like 5 or six or something like that. there were only 2 known left to exist ...that is until I found the third just north of San Francisco at a flea market about 12 years ago ...like a dumbass, I re-homed it....the new one is cool but a definate reproduction, most dont know about that bit of bmx history....I think the above mentioned earlier reply about the mid-school 24"Elf Traction Plate will be a highly desirable bike in the future ....and maybe the Specialized Hemi.....the ORIGINAL 74-75 Champion built by Doug Schwarma is Pretty coveted too ...and for good reason....they were incredible works of art that were only built for about a year or so....and then re-introduced by Lynn Kastan of Redline a few years later....The GJS Freestyler is another extremely rare bike with Jeff welding those himself I read somewhere....I should just stop because the list of rare EARLY BMX goes on and on....and I love that stuff ! some of my best (and worst) memories were made on a Stingray with Motomags, a Scrambler, a Jag, a Mongoose, a PK Ripper a Moto-one, a Race Inc, a Quadangle, a Red Line , I was there and rode them all, the hype and excitement back in the day for a BMX'er was incredible ! and then came mountainbikes man and we didnt have to push our bikes up the firetrails anymore ! ....thats a whole nother story .... but if you liked bmx and were there or even if you werent there...I HIGHLY suggest you see the movie "Joe Kid on a Stingray, The History of BMX" ...and be sure to check out the included extra features like the Yamaha Gold Cup of 1974 with some big kid named Stu Thomsen winning the Championships...... on a STINGRAY !
Yeah I had one of the original Champions, mid-70's sounds about right. Mine wasn't made by Redline, remember I got it Astrubula equipped and also fork with Motomags. Before I could build it up nice with better parts, I lost it a long time ago to an older kid in my neighborhood in crap trade where I got a 1st gen Redline Proline...the ones that cracked easy. Funny thing about 10 years later I think I came back upon my former Champion frame at a local Berkeley bike store- Square wheel, long now defunct. I passed on it because I just wasn't into BMX stuff anymore. Now I appreciate it a little more.
Old 11-13-16, 03:31 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Kastan made a righty fork in the 90's, I keep forgetting about that one.

1989 Kastan KEX Pro - BMXmuseum.com

I had one of those!!! The uni fork freaked me out though and I ditched it to my friend. I kinda regret that.
Old 12-02-16, 03:37 PM
Hondo20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would break this down into 2 types

Bmx race or freestyle.

Race. Patterson, DG, GJS ,RRS ,JMC or Nomura. most valuable S&E STR1 it's the original quadangle made for Stu Thompson

Freestyle, Kuwahara exhibitionist, Redline Rl20ii, or Haro Master.
Most valuable freestyle could possibly be a gold plated RL20ii made for RL Osborne.
Old 12-03-16, 05:04 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Originally Posted by Hondo20
I would break this down into 2 types

Bmx race or freestyle.

Race. Patterson, DG, GJS ,RRS ,JMC or Nomura. most valuable S&E STR1 it's the original quadangle made for Stu Thompson

Freestyle, Kuwahara exhibitionist, Redline Rl20ii, or Haro Master.
Most valuable freestyle could possibly be a gold plated RL20ii made for RL Osborne.
Those are some sweet bikes! What about also Hutch Trickstar?
Old 12-03-16, 08:49 PM
Hondo20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trickstar is a sweet old freestyle bike. It is iconic. It & the Judge are the best bikes they ever made.(the pro star is hot) It's a personal thing but I don't like the lower tier hutch's at all. If I buy a Hutch it's to get a part off of and then sell or trade it. They had sweet hubs but insanely expensive cranks . IMHO they are over valued & way over rated. But others think they were the most awesome bmx ever.

Last edited by Hondo20; 12-03-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 05:41 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Hondo20
The Trickstar is a sweet old freestyle bike. It is iconic. It & the Judge are the best bikes they ever made.(the pro star is hot) It's a personal thing but I don't like the lower tier hutch's at all. If I buy a Hutch it's to get a part off of and then sell or trade it. They had sweet hubs but insanely expensive cranks . IMHO they are over valued & way over rated. But others think they were the most awesome bmx ever.
I've never been lucky enough to even ride a Hutch let alone part one out lol. I've rode just about everything else except some of the super exotic stuff like GJS etc.

It wasn't like there weren't any Hutch's in my neighborhood. But the Kids who owned them were always "Yes my bike is better then yours, and no you can't touch it"

But to me a Windstyler is no better then a Dyno, maybe a little worse. And the original price was actually cheaper then a GT. Yet now days people want top dollar for them simply because they're a Hutch.

I think some of the Hutch legacy is the same as a rockstar. Unlike other bike company's Hutch got cut down in their prime from lawsuits. Where as other bikes like GT, Robinson etc slowly faded into obscurity.
Old 12-28-16, 11:12 AM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a lavendar Torker 2 in the late 80s that I worked very hard for. my idiot dad wouldn't allow me to keep it in the house. after many years it rusted out & he tossed it. that's 1 of the things that makes it hard for to bond w/him (esp now that he needs my help). I'm still looking for 1 to replace it.

But I keep my eyes open for Haro Masters & Sports, GT Pro Performers, Skyways and of course Toker 2s. I picked up a Wal-goose a couple years back, but it's just not the same as the vintage bikes.

Last edited by xodondum; 12-28-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-04-17, 01:57 AM
chunkymonkeybik

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
E.t.

how about the E.T. bike? I wanted that one in the 80s. (Even though I knew I couldn't fly)

I thought about it when I rode the ET ride at Universal Studios Fl.
Old 01-04-17, 02:18 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Originally Posted by chunkymonkeybik
how about the E.T. bike? I wanted that one in the 80s. (Even though I knew I couldn't fly)

I thought about it when I rode the ET ride at Universal Studios Fl.
It was a good old Kuwahara.

T

They actually re-issued it as a limited run special edition a couple years ago.

Old 01-04-17, 07:09 AM
chunkymonkeybik

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
"I'll be right here"
Old 01-21-17, 10:51 PM
spencerfvee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a rare one a rascal 1975

hi I am a new be to BMX bikes .last week I was at a swap meet for old cars .I bought this BMX bike from a old guy he said he was 85 years old . and was at a big BMX bike show in cal. in 1975. he bought a rascal BMX bike because it was a all alum. frame bike and he had never seen one be for . he bought it for his grand son who at the time was too young to race it .about 1980 his grandson was old enough to race it .the grand son road it around the yard and told his grand pa he did not want to race it. he wanted a dirt bike to race .the grand pa put the bike in a empty bed room where it sat for more than 40 years it is in like new cond. the tires are like brand new he gave me two rims and tires to go with the bike the frame number is 25 .thought you guys would like to see it spencerfvee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MVC-001S.JPG (40.0 KB, 376 views)
MVC-003S.JPG (39.7 KB, 377 views)
Old 02-06-17, 06:14 PM
ramboknifepoint

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S&M LTF Nui Tiki (Shoots & Mahalo)

S&M Nui Tiki LTF, only 50 made 20.75tt - I have number 42, lilwaynes got number 27 -like anyone gives a poo!
Rare ltd edition colony clone hubs in WHITE Rare ltd edition colony stem guettler in WHITE Rare WTP 5star DELUX sprocket in WHITE - 25t Odyssey Mr Clampy in WHITE to match above
Rare ltd edition colony hell stallion forks in ACID GREEN Rare ltd edition colony teddy bars in ACID GREEN Rare ltd edition colony colonial cranks in ACID GREEN (175)
Odyssey integrated headsetS&M Dual Ply grips Colony mid bb bracket Wellgo MG1 Magnesium Pedals
YBN MK926 Chain

wheels -
Shadow Conspiracy Orbis Brakeless Rim Black Demolition Spokes and Colony Front Hub Clone White - Demolition Kevlar Baja Tyre Front
Shadow Conspiracy Stun Rim Black, Demolition Spokes and Colony Cassette Hub Clone 9T White - WTP Kevlar Grippin Tyre Rear
brake -
Demolition Vulcan Brake
Colony Transformer Lever
Odyssey Brake Cable Raw
seat -
Colony Stump Pivotal Seat Post
Odyssey Mr Clampy Seat Clamp
Shadow Conpiracy Seat
I bought this bike to ride but now I dont want to ride it!
I just want to stare at it.
Most Ill do is sit on it while I watch tv or eat dinner!
Im in love!
God truly blessed me with this bike
Attached Images
029_copy10_blowup.jpg (95.9 KB, 354 views)
030_copy14_blowup.jpg (94.9 KB, 354 views)
031_copy8_blowup.jpg (96.8 KB, 353 views)
032_copy10_blowup.jpg (96.6 KB, 352 views)
Old 02-06-17, 06:52 PM
Oldbikenut

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by spencerfvee
hi I am a new be to BMX bikes .last week I was at a swap meet for old cars .I bought this BMX bike from a old guy he said he was 85 years old . and was at a big BMX bike show in cal. in 1975. he bought a rascal BMX bike because it was a all alum. frame bike and he had never seen one be for . he bought it for his grand son who at the time was too young to race it .about 1980 his grandson was old enough to race it .the grand son road it around the yard and told his grand pa he did not want to race it. he wanted a dirt bike to race .the grand pa put the bike in a empty bed room where it sat for more than 40 years it is in like new cond. the tires are like brand new he gave me two rims and tires to go with the bike the frame number is 25 .thought you guys would like to see it spencerfvee
That thing is sweet and super rare, what a find! I keep looking at it, what a crazy story!
Old 03-09-17, 09:02 AM
vwOvw

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Torker
Old 03-09-17, 05:11 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by spencerfvee

Okay -- I am officially blown away ! -- Great first post !
Old 11-12-17, 02:09 AM
jdwald
Robinson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robinson

I have a handmade Robinson, with no serial#. No #'s on the neck, none under the crank. Not sure what its worth, didnt even think about it until I decided to teach my girlfriend's son how to ride. Dragged it out of storage, started prepping it and realized, there are no numbers... Just this
Old 11-12-17, 02:11 AM
jdwald
Robinson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well. This forum isnt taking my pics.
Old 11-12-17, 08:05 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Originally Posted by jdwald
well. This forum isnt taking my pics.
Due to too much spam, we have instituted a 10 post minimum before you can post pics that are hosted on a picture hosting website.
Old 11-13-17, 03:32 AM
Hondo20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you have the early looptail Robinson with the gusset. Very cool bike. Get your girlfriends kid another bike. That Robbie is rare.
Old 11-13-17, 03:24 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
A 1986 Redline RL20II just sold for over $5K at a local auction a few months ago. Insane.
Old 03-04-18, 08:32 PM
flnewb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a early 80's Schwinn Sting. Chrome with Red parts and red Z-rims. Also came with the high polish aluminum 'parade kit' for the shows and such. i think they retailed for $400 back then. bought it from a neighbor when he turned 16 and lost interest in bikes. I've seen them as high as $2k not stock but close. id gladly pay that for the bike i had then
Old 03-15-18, 12:07 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Sought after vintage BMX bikes come in a number of flavors and tiers, depending upon desirability at the time, what pro riders were riding, light weight or high-tech features. Circa 1981-1982:

SE PK Ripper
SE Quadangle (heavy; watch for hernias)
SE Floval Flyer
Thruster Tri-Power
Thruster Vanishing Point
Thruster Tim Judge Replica
Schwinn The Sting (actual Sting bikes had double-butted CrMo tubing. Such was not the case for the King Sting, Sting Competition or Mini-Sting)
Patterson (any of the models)
Roger DeCosta (any)
Kuwahara KE-1; KZ-1
Cinelli CMX.1 and MX.1
Mongoose Supergoose
DG Racer
GT Pro
Gary Littlejohn (especially the tandems and the pit bikes)
Hutch Pro / XL-24
JMC Racing Short/Long Standard
JMC Racing Black Shadow
Race, Inc. RA-7 / RA-8 / RM-1 / RM-2
Robinson Expert & Pro
Torker MX / Eddy King / L.P. Long / Pro / 26
Old 04-16-18, 09:11 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I had a Mongoose Supergoose (probably '83 or '84 based on image search of the frame). As a stupid teen, I traded it for something stupid around 1996. I wish I still had it. Do they go for much?

Last edited by Junkbeast; 04-16-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 12:49 AM
donnaeastman

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try to check out 1976 Yammi Moto this is really amazing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.