Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

best hitch mount bike rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

best hitch mount bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-16, 06:22 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I have a Yakima Holdup 2-bike tray hitch rack that works very well. It's rock solid on my Durango. But it weighs 50 lbs. and I have to install and remove it every time I use it (it won't fit in the garage when on the car). If I were buying one today, I think I'd get the Kuat Sherpa because it is quite a bit lighter (28 lbs). The most weight I would ever have on the rack would be about 57 lbs, so the lighter rack would be fine. It's nicely made and looks good.

Products | Küat Racks
Old 07-17-16, 06:50 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts
I have a Saris Freedom and it's great. Light, sturdy and does not let the bikes move around a whole lot. I did have a Performance Bikes Transit Flatbed, it turned out to be a heavy piece of junk. I would never had thought the bolt that hooks the rack to the receiver would have bent the way it did so easily.

But the Saris, has been great the past few months I've owned it. Inexpensive, light, easy to use.
Old 07-17-16, 06:55 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cvcman
Lol,,,you CANT grab the tongue and lift it easily,,,unless you can easily lift over 100 pounds ! ... Good day !
I notice that you didn't refute what I wrote, but instead refuted something else. I've helped trailer bass boats, and that experience didn't serve me when I was buying and mounting a bike rack. Go ahead and get a 1 1/4"-to-2" adapter, and mount a top-of-the-line class 3 heavy duty bike rack. I recommend the ones with trays. They're heavier, but easier, and you know that weight is irrelevant, right. Load it up with a couple of beach cruisers, and have fun. I'm sure it will be no problem.
Old 07-17-16, 07:17 PM
cvcman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
I notice that you didn't refute what I wrote, but instead refuted something else. I've helped trailer bass boats, and that experience didn't serve me when I was buying and mounting a bike rack. Go ahead and get a 1 1/4"-to-2" adapter, and mount a top-of-the-line class 3 heavy duty bike rack. I recommend the ones with trays. They're heavier, but easier, and you know that weight is irrelevant, right. Load it up with a couple of beach cruisers, and have fun. I'm sure it will be no problem.

Lol, better re-read what I posted....I was trying to point out your statement was incorrect re; bassboat tongue weights,,and comparing them to light weight bicycles on a carrier...,,guess you missed that....and I don't ride "beach cruisers" but thx anyway
Old 07-18-16, 08:24 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
This is incorrect. I thought so, too, and so bought a class 3 (and therefore 2" hitch) bike rack, along with the 2"-to-1 1/4" adapter. I was gobsmacked to find that the adapter wouldn't work with my class 1 hitch receiver on my Prius. Class 1 and 2 receivers and hitches are 1 1/4", while class 3 and 4 are usually 2". However, the class 1 receivers have a tab welded inside the receiver box so that a class 2 hitch tongue (or the adapter) won't go in far enough to bolt. This is for a good reason -- class 1 receivers can only handle 200# at the hitch ("tongue weight"), while class 2 receivers can handle 300# at the hitch.

So I ended up buying a rack (and adapter) that I couldn't use on my Prius, which can only handle a class 1 receiver (because the hitch receiver doesn't not bolt to the frame, as is required for classes 2, 3, and 4). I finally found a great rack that is class 1 and handles 3 bikes (as long as they're lightweight bikes like road bikes). No way you'll find a tray rack for class 1, unfortunately.

If you're hauling your bikes on the open road, you really need to make sure you respect the specs of your vehicle, your hitch, and the weight of your rack and bikes. It would be very easy to used an adapter and a class 3 bike rack, with some heavy bikes, on a class 2 hitch receiver and have the whole rear of your car cave in at 70 mph on the freeway.
Easy fix...Cut down the metal on the adapter that inserts into the hitch or drill out the tab that is in the way. You would never ever exceed the 200 lb. tongue rating with hitch, rack and bikes. Even if you were hauling 4 bikes.

Sometimes you need to think outside the box...

Last edited by prj71; 07-18-16 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 08:50 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Easy fix...Cut down the metal on the adapter that inserts into the hitch or drill out the tab that is in the way. You would never ever exceed the 200 lb. tongue rating with hitch, rack and bikes. Even if you were hauling 4 bikes.

Sometimes you need to think outside the box...
Sorry, but you are wrong, though that's exactly what I considered doing. Again, it's simple physics. The effective weight that the hitch receiver can handle is cut in half by using the adapter. Why? Because of the lever arm acting at the box opening. Then using a 4-bike rack, and putting even light weight bikes in the outer positions (further from the hitch receiver) effectively multiplies the force put on the receiver.

When I was going through this process, I wrote to a couple of bike rack manufacturers to see how much safety margin I was working with, because as you suggest I was trying to think outside the box. They were adamant that doing what I was considering was dangerous.

Hold a tray in one hand, with a full glass of water on the tray right next to your hand. Easy, right? Now slide that glass of water to the far edge of the tray, and see how much harder it gets. That's the effect of increasing the lever arm on the torque felt at your hand. The weight of the glass of water, and the tray, are unchanged, but the force on your fingers if much higher. This is why the nominal weight of a rack and bikes is NOT the critical number, but the effective torque at the hitch opening. Add in the effect of the inevitable bouncing that happens at speed on even relatively smooth roads, and that force will be regularly and significantly increased. It's is a recipe for sudden, catastrophic failure at the worst possible moment.
Old 07-18-16, 09:02 AM
prj71

Lol...I undertand the physics of what you are saying.

But again...you would never break anything with the weight of the bikes, hitch or rack ever. Keep in mind hitches are over-designed.

The class 1 hitch rating and the safety measures apply to those towing a trailer that may exceed the tongue weight. It's not going to apply to a bike rack like you think it does.

Last edited by prj71; 07-18-16 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 05:26 PM
cvcman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Lol...I undertand the physics of what you are saying.

But again...you would never break anything with the weight of the bikes, hitch or rack ever. Keep in mind hitches are over-designed.

The class 1 hitch rating and the safety measures apply to those towing a trailer that may exceed the tongue weight. It's not going to apply to a bike rack like you think it does.

You are 100% correct,,,my class 2 has a tongue rating of 300 pounds,,,you could load 10 bikes and still not hurt a thing,,,don't listen to those who over think and complicate things,,,,its a fricken bike rack and bikes,,,wth
Old 07-19-16, 09:31 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I have this one, and have been very pleased.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...ks/HR1450.html
I had one of those too, my bikes still have the scars from the hook that goes over the top tube. If you bike has the cabled routed on the top side of the top tube, and you forget to put a pad between to cables and frame, your goint to lose some paint. And possibly some metal.

Now I have a saris Thelma it doesn't touch the frame at all, and the bikes don't touch.

Good Luck.
Old 07-19-16, 10:32 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by leob1
I had one of those too, my bikes still have the scars from the hook that goes over the top tube. If you bike has the cabled routed on the top side of the top tube, and you forget to put a pad between to cables and frame, your goint to lose some paint. And possibly some metal.

Now I have a saris Thelma it doesn't touch the frame at all, and the bikes don't touch.

Good Luck.
Thats exactly why I wouldn't buy a rack like that. That and not all top tubes are very compatable.

The best are tray racks that lock down at the tire locations.
Old 07-19-16, 10:38 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

If you end up buying an adapter,
I suggest you also buy a 'stabilizer' (see above).
It really helps eliminate a lot of the wobble.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-19-16, 11:54 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Yakima Stick up, two bike rack. Picked up on Craig's list for $100, new its like 225. Could not be happier and if I had to pay $225, knowing what I know, I would. Very solid, reliable rack. The hitch was $100 and I installed it myself.
Old 07-19-16, 03:38 PM
cvcman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wonder if this one good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Old 07-20-16, 08:39 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Love my Thule. Throw em on. Secure em down and it has integral lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TREX & C10.jpg (99.2 KB, 45 views)