Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Finished my Tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Finished my Tour

Old 06-20-17, 08:20 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Finished my Tour

I was asking questions here last month or so in preparation for my tour on my Nashbar Touring Bike. Well I'm back and I've learned alot.

The B-17 held out great for the first 4 days but was murder the last day.
The original idea was 100 miles a day, but I was recommended as low as 30 in the hills. We averaged around 80 and that was too much.
I went with a 34/50 crank and 32/11 cassette. Needed lower gears quite often. I never had to walk, and didn't have knee pain, but was spinning about 30 rpm up a few hills. Will probably switch back to the triple for the next one.
I went back and forth on a higher rise stem several times and decided to go with the 7 degree. Really regretted that.

Anywhere here's my story if you're interested in.

https://barndoorcycling.wordpress.co...arks-part-one/
Old 06-20-17, 08:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Sounds like you got some valuable experience in and have further clarified what will make you most comfortable.
Good news as its an ongoing process thats further refined each time out.
Old 06-20-17, 09:34 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Interesting that the saddle got worse with miles. They (or you) usually become more comfy as the miles and days accumulate.

The big question is, did you enjoy it?
Old 06-22-17, 05:51 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The first day on the B17 was awesome, the second as well. I had some very minor discomfort on the 3rd day but not bad. On the 4th day it felt as if my left sitbone was bruised. The saddle has some damage around the rivets and I don't think it sits quite right so I think that might have been why. Also the roads on the Route 66 were kind of rough.

I did have alot of fun, I think if we'd kept it closer to 60 miles a day it would have been more fun.

I also have second thoughts about touring with another person now. We rarely rode together and when we did I didn't really enjoy riding with him because he would always pull up beside me. Our schedules were off, I like to get going early, beat the heat, and keep moving. He liked to start late and spend the best part of the day hanging out in cafes eating breakfast for 2 hours. I was the one with the map but eventually I just started giving him directions and leaving. Of course it was also nice to have someone to talk to,
Old 06-22-17, 07:22 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
The first day on the B17 was awesome, the second as well. I had some very minor discomfort on the 3rd day but not bad. On the 4th day it felt as if my left sitbone was bruised. The saddle has some damage around the rivets and I don't think it sits quite right so I think that might have been why. Also the roads on the Route 66 were kind of rough.

I did have alot of fun, I think if we'd kept it closer to 60 miles a day it would have been more fun.

I also have second thoughts about touring with another person now. We rarely rode together and when we did I didn't really enjoy riding with him because he would always pull up beside me. Our schedules were off, I like to get going early, beat the heat, and keep moving. He liked to start late and spend the best part of the day hanging out in cafes eating breakfast for 2 hours. I was the one with the map but eventually I just started giving him directions and leaving. Of course it was also nice to have someone to talk to,
alone is great for the reasons you mention. finding the right touring partner is difficult.
Old 06-22-17, 07:47 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
finding the right touring partner is difficult.
+1 Aint that the truth, brother!
Old 06-23-17, 08:16 AM
msquared22

Bikes: Salsa Vaya X9

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
This has been my experience as well. Once I start creeping over 60 miles per day, the fun factor starts decreasing.

Nice blog, looking forward to part 3!
Old 06-23-17, 08:50 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
gattm99, I just jumped on the forum for a quick break and will read your blog later. Congrats on your tour and, as mentioned already, every one under the belt allows insight for improvment in one or more aspects.

Brad

Last edited by bradtx; 06-23-17 at 08:51 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-23-17, 08:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
You are now officially a bike tourist! I feel like you have to do one tour kind of wrong but live to tell about it and have a good time before you really get in. That was my experience though less with gearing and more with gear and such.