Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody like Daylight Savings Time?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody like Daylight Savings Time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 05:30 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
It's to safe electricity usage. So I'm all for it. Because we can burn less fossil fuel. Then it's good!
That is a myth.
The truth: https://www.nber.org/papers/w14429
Old 11-05-18, 05:50 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
About 30 years ago, Newfoundland experimented with double Daylight Saving Time for one season. A 2 hour offset plus they already have an additional 1/2 hour start on the rest of the country. At 6pm in August, the sun appeared to be at high noon. Double weird but also kinda normal for a unique place if you've ever been there.
Old 11-05-18, 06:36 PM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by clubman
About 30 years ago, Newfoundland experimented with double Daylight Saving Time for one season. A 2 hour offset plus they already have an additional 1/2 hour start on the rest of the country. At 6pm in August, the sun appeared to be at high noon. Double weird but also kinda normal for a unique place if you've ever been there.
The entire state of Alaska is on the wrong time zone;
They should be on UTC-10, but are on UTC-9.
I think the problem starts with Canada extending the Pacific timezone all the way up the AK.
The Canadian West coast runs diagonally, (NW<->SE), across what should be two different timezones.
Canada extends the Pacific timezone all the way North to AK, so if AK was on the correct time, there would be a 2-hour difference at the AK/Canada border.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 11-06-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 06:47 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Daylight savings time year-round is equivalent to the Spinal Tap amplifier that goes to 11. If any one jurisdiction wills it, rather than pushing the time forward all year, they should just push BACK the time they do everything.
Old 11-05-18, 07:21 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Well its just after 5 p.m. here on the west coast and already dark. Its got my inner clock all messed up.
Old 11-06-18, 02:34 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Being as far north here in Seattle, DST in the summer is enjoyable. A 10pm-and-still-light warm evening is something I like experiencing. Now that we're on normal time or whatever, it's a nice signal of late autumn/winter months and the changing of seasons. If a lot of people don't like being out when it's dark, that's fine by me as that means less people outside and on the roads, whether I'm biking or driving. Sucks for bike pictures taken outside--basically limiting me to a Saturday or Sunday that is also dry. I currently have front and rear lights that are or have just asked to be retired, so I'm working out the soonest date I can get to a bike shop (or REI) for replacements, and whether I actually have to take my car to do so. Amsuing, slightly inconvenient puzzle. I have a good plan.
Old 11-06-18, 03:08 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Seattle is tied with Buffalo, NY for the most overcast days a year.

Portland, OR and Pittsburgh, PA are tied for second.

Having lived in 3 of the 4 places and experienced SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) for many of those years, I look with apprehension as the days get shorter and it gets dark earlier. I start the countdown until December 21, Winter Stoltice, the shortest day of the year.... After that even though we're in the midst of leaden winter, every day the planet starts tilting back to normalcy and the days get longer!

I prefer that it stays lighter longer in the afternoons. Arizona is the only US state that doesn't practice this folly!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 11-06-18, 04:20 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I like it. I dislike going back to standard time. The change seems completely unnecessary.
+1

For the past 10-15 years, I've worked in finance at firms which trade worldwide. After Bush 43 widened the DST period (the US now starts earlier and ends later than everyone else), so there are potential hiccups both when the US changes and when the ROW changes. Personally, I'd be happy with UTC.
Old 11-06-18, 06:20 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I’m in favor of DST- the people I’ve talked to about this either don’t grasp the concept of it- and/or say it doesn’t make a difference to them. They get upset at having an hour “stolen” from them.

The guy that I’ve had the most animated conversations about this with is probably the person that’s most affected by the shortness of winter days that I’ve met. (How’s that for a klunky sentence?)

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-06-18, 06:34 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
For what it's worth, there is only one S in "daylight saving time." The idea is that you save some daylight for when you get home from work.

I like it. I dislike going back to standard time. The change seems completely unnecessary.
When I lived in New Hampshire for awhile, back in the late 70s, I knew an old guy, Jasper Hogan, who liked daylight saving time so much he personally stayed on it all year. I learned about that when I stopped to say hello to his sister one day. Her name was Gladys. She lived by herself in a little place (now it would probably be called a tiny house) on the Androscoggin River. No electricity, and she hauled her drinking water from the brook in a pail.
Anyway, I noticed that she had two of those big old wind-up alarm clocks on a kitchen shelf, set an hour apart. I asked her about it, and she pointed to one of them and said, "Oh, that one's for Jasper. He stays on fast time." I wish I could write the New Hampshire dialect. "Jasper" is more like "Jaspa," and "time" is something like "toime."

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 11-06-18, 11:49 AM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I know this puts me on the far outside, but I like "real time", ie time based the ancient way, based on the travels of the sun. Noon when the sun is directly south.

Daylight savings is not your friend if you are doing celestial navigation. Just one more place where you can easily make a 60 mile mistake. And 60 miles as you approach land from the open ocean can be life or death.

Ben
Real time, where you set your watch by Local Apparent Noon, was what we had when all East-West travel was done at the pace a man walks. With the invention of the iron horse trains were now leaving a destination and traveling through several towns with their clocks set at different times before lunch. Since trains meet where there are sidings in order to pass each other according to a time table it was chaos when approaching trains were using different times. The creation of "Train Time" (now Time Zones) was a great step in organizing our lives to deal with the increasing speeds of travel and communication.

Anyone using celestial navigation would have their chronometers set to Greenwich Mean Time and not give one care about daylight savings time unless he was trying to schedule his arrival to opening time at the marina bar.
Old 11-06-18, 08:04 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I enjoy riding at night. The dynamo's work well and cars seem to see us better.
I'm retired now, but I always enjoyed this time of year because commuting home in the dark in the rural area was quite peaceful and pleasant.
Granted, now I just go out for an evening ride, but it was more special when I felt like I was getting away with something that most folks didn't get to enjoy.

As for DST itself... it's nonsense. After living in Arizona for 3 years, I learned that you can just go to work earlier when the sun is coming up earlier. The number of hours of daylight didn't change when DST was created. People just had a built-in excuse to change work hours.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-07-18, 02:11 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
As for DST itself... it's nonsense. After living in Arizona for 3 years, I learned that you can just go to work earlier when the sun is coming up earlier. The number of hours of daylight didn't change when DST was created. People just had a built-in excuse to change work hours.

Steve in Peoria
Fascinating, does everyone do this on the same weekend?
Old 11-07-18, 02:44 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
We should ditch time zones altogether.
Old 11-07-18, 06:02 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I prefer standard time (winter). I enjoy being able to watch a sunrise before work. I do enough in the dark both early and late year around that there is little need for the so called savings. I never understood why set ahead in the spring. My wife starts work later than I, she will use the same electricity year round.
Old 11-07-18, 07:18 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
. Does anybody really know what time it is?
25 or 6 to 4?
Old 11-07-18, 07:23 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Time is about control. Marking time is about coordinating.

Humanity has existed far longer being controlled by natural cycles than by the control of each other, using time as a parameter.

We try to count the years to determine if we are “ready” for things, rather than the judgement of tribal/clan elders.

Before I had a concept of age and time, I asked my grandfather when I was born.. He said “in the winter, during a snowstorm.”

I agree with steelbikeguy.... convincing those who control my life, not so easy.

I operated on Zulu time for years. Once you are used to it, much easier.

🌗

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-07-18 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-07-18, 07:35 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Fascinating, does everyone do this on the same weekend?
regarding my experience in Arizona, I was serving in the Marines at that time. My squadron ran our work in three shifts, and we just changed when the shifts started and ended. I don't recall what any other business did. I suppose that a store/bank/etc that had posted hours might have to announce a change in hours.

In some discussions about DST, there is an assumption that everyone works the same hours. This overlooks the factory folks who start at 6:30am and bankers (or other retail folks ) who don't start till much later in the morning (9am?). Here in the midwest, farming is a significant occupation, and they work at all hours.
As such, I don't see how DST is the only way to compensate for changes in the time of sunrise and sunset. Employers are free to set whatever hours they want, within the constraints of their business.

Coordinating across time zones is a concern for many, such as my work as an engineer. I had to deal with suppliers and customers across the world. That included folks in the UK who had the own version of DST (British Saving Time, I think?), which didn't change on the same date as we did. That made setting up phone calls more difficult. This was also the case with folks in Indiana, since a lot of it didn't observe DST.

The military had this problem solved, though. In regards to our squadron's flights, it was all coordinated in Zulu time, which is the same as GMT, IIRC. When your flight might take you across one or two time zones, it quickly becomes clear that such a standard time reference is needed.

Anyway... this seems more like a social problem rather than a technical one. I was happy to not observe DST, and think folks would adapt to life w/o it. If nothing else, more folks could squeeze in an early morning bike ride before work.

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-07-18, 08:56 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Marking time by natural forces/changes worked for as long as it did because few people interacted with each other over long east-west distances. As we became more mobile, and esp. as we moved more across longitudes, standardizing time and setting time zones became more critical.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 11-07-18, 09:02 AM
Shimagnolo

In some discussions about DST, there is an assumption that everyone works the same hours. This overlooks the factory folks who start at 6:30am and bankers (or other retail folks ) who don't start till much later in the morning (9am?). Here in the midwest, farming is a significant occupation, and they work at all hours.
As such, I don't see how DST is the only way to compensate for changes in the time of sunrise and sunset. Employers are free to set whatever hours they want, within the constraints of their business.
Around here roofers generally start at the crack of dawn, so they can get as much work done as possible before the hottest part of the day.
And the Home Depot also has different hours in the winter than they do in the summer.

The military had this problem solved, though. In regards to our squadron's flights, it was all coordinated in Zulu time, which is the same as GMT, IIRC. When your flight might take you across one or two time zones, it quickly becomes clear that such a standard time reference is needed.
When I was in networking for a large, multi-national company, it had become a PITA to correlate the log files from multiple network devices in multiple timezones, when diagnosing failure events. The people who had originally set up the network had foolishly put all the devices on local time even after the corporate network had grown beyond a single timezone. So our simple solution was to switch all the devices to UTC time. Switches and routers don't care what time it is when doing their jobs. But they put the timestamp into everything they log, and it is us humans who must examine those logs.
Old 11-07-18, 09:33 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
The military had this problem solved, though. In regards to our squadron's flights, it was all coordinated in Zulu time, which is the same as GMT, IIRC. When your flight might take you across one or two time zones, it quickly becomes clear that such a standard time reference
I was on a submarine and we had 6-hour watches. When we crossed a time zone they'd make an announcement, we'd log it, and would have a 5-hr or 7-hr watch. No DST at sea and no daylight on a sub.
Old 11-12-18, 02:50 PM
richart
Georgia Traveler

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
If God meant for us to have Daylight Savings Time, he would have turned the Sun back an hour. Seriously though, I could care less if I am in standard time or daylight savings time, I just hate the switching back and forth. Pick one and leave it alone.
Old 11-12-18, 05:20 PM
obentwan
Space for rent

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX-5, Trek 8.2 Dual Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.
Old 11-12-18, 05:51 PM
cqlink 

Bikes: '72 Paramount 15-9, '74 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Schwinn Voyageur SP,17 Motobecane Cafe Noir, 1970 Raleigh Competition Tourist, 1999 Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 45 Posts
If it was administered correctly, it would be ok but like everything else government does, they get it wrong.

First, "spring forward" would be done at or around noon , eastern on a FRIDAY, so everyone truly benefits and gets out of work early. As for "fall back," you know. Set clocks back around 5pm on Sunday so we can get the hour before work.

As for big business? Toooooo bad .
Old 11-12-18, 06:29 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by obentwan
No.

.. but then, I'm retired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.