Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Vento Hub Bearing Replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 02:29 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Has anyone replaced their hub bearings on a Campy wheel with cartridge bearings? How difficult is it? Do I have to use a bearing remover and installer or do the bearings go in relatively easily? Are there substitute tools that will work or are the remover/installer tools absolutely needed?

Campy's technical manual showing the proper way:

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fil...nolo_12_12.pdf
Old 10-02-20, 02:41 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Instead of using a slide hammer to pull the bearing out, you can almost certainly go in through the other side and use a drift to tap the bearing out, using the same lip that the bearing puller engages, and just going carefully around the bearing, tapping gently. Once one bearing is out, repeat the process from the other side. You can probably install new bearings by tapping them in with an appropriately-sized socket and a small hammer, or set up an ad hoc press with some all thread, washers and nuts
Old 10-02-20, 04:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,313 Posts
Most cartridge bearings can be installed with crude tools, a hammer and a drift/punch. The trick is to first start the bearing in keeping it square to the bore and also apply taps only along the bearing's outer race. Light taps about the outer race's edge is how I usually do it if I can't make up a threaded press tool. Andy.
Old 10-02-20, 07:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Just a question. When installing the bearing, does freezing it and putting the hub in the sun help?

That used to be the technique for installing automotive bearing races in drum brakes.

John
Old 10-03-20, 06:17 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
When I installed bearings in my Velomax/Easton wheels I used the quick release to press them in, tightening the lever, releasing it, then using the screw end to tighten some more and then repeat. I used the old bearings as a drift since of course they fit perfectly over the new. I don't know if this method will work. To remove the bearings they recommended using the axle itself with a rubber mallet. And the dust covers on them were also just pressed on, you took a thin screwdriver to remove them.

I have to say I was amazed at how easy it was, since I always looked at sealed bearing wheels as being mostly unfixable. I always thought everything was hydraulically fitted and would be impossible to remove. But this was in the days before the internet when knowledge came from either a magazine, book or a teacher, and I just never encountered it. When I finally did it someone here on BF pointed me to the service guide and it was done in like 15 minutes. And I still use those wheels as my main set.

Oh, and now I remember. There was a specific Loctite that needed to be used, a grade not available in the usual stores. I had to go to Grainger to get it, and they required a commercial account. I put it on the corporate account even though I'm not authorized but paid cash so nobody got a bill.

Last edited by zacster; 10-03-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 01:15 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone...

But after taking my hub apart, I found that the inner axle housing body basically rides on the axle and so the internal clearance is the same as the bearing inner race. Therefore, there is no room to insert a screwdriver or other tool to punch out the bearing. An odd shaped tool or bent screwdriver may work but I went searching for a different solution and I found this great video on youtube. Love this solution for removing the bearings!

Enjoy: