Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any clincher-friendly rims available?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 12:34 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Recently had a wheel-set built up with Mavic Open Pro UTS rim. Even though I haven't use them yet -- they're for a frame I'm waiting to get repaired -- I'm already seriously considering finding other rims, and rebuilding them again, because clincher tires are so hard, if even possible, to get on and off the freaking things! (Broke FOUR tire levers in a matter of minutes.) I have Mavic Open Pro rims from years ago, and it is absolutely shocking how easy it is to get tires on and off of those with just a couple fingers! Are the new (non-UST) Mavics still easy to get on and off, or have they also been "updated?" (One thing is, I use 32-35c tires; I believe they only recommend up to 28c.) Are there any other rims out there that are fairly easy to get clinchers on? (I have no interest in tubeless.)
Old 11-11-20, 12:56 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
It is the tires, I believe. Get the Pedro's tire levers and Kool Stop tire bead jack and your problems with tires should be over.
Old 11-11-20, 01:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Rims designed for tubeless tires have a center channel. In order to mount tires easily you have to make sure that the tire bead is in the channel as you pull the tire over the rest of the rim. Using the correct technique, I have successfully mounted road tubeless tires on tubeless compatible rims without any tools at all
Old 11-11-20, 02:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by pakossa
Recently had a wheel-set built up with Mavic Open Pro UTS rim. Even though I haven't use them yet -- they're for a frame I'm waiting to get repaired -- I'm already seriously considering finding other rims, and rebuilding them again, because clincher tires are so hard, if even possible, to get on and off the freaking things! (Broke FOUR tire levers in a matter of minutes.) I have Mavic Open Pro rims from years ago, and it is absolutely shocking how easy it is to get tires on and off of those with just a couple fingers! Are the new (non-UST) Mavics still easy to get on and off, or have they also been "updated?" (One thing is, I use 32-35c tires; I believe they only recommend up to 28c.) Are there any other rims out there that are fairly easy to get clinchers on? (I have no interest in tubeless.)
Put your tires on the old (non-UST) rims you have and inflate to max PSI. Let sit for 2 days, remove, and then you should hopefully find a lot easier to get on the UST rims.
Old 11-11-20, 04:59 PM
pakossa

Originally Posted by Steelman54
It is the tires, I believe. Get the Pedro's tire levers and Kool Stop tire bead jack and your problems with tires should be over.
How can it possibly be the tires, if, as I said, the tires that were nearly impossible to mount on the UTS rims went on the non-UTS ones within seconds with just my fingers?! It's obviously the rim.
Old 11-11-20, 05:01 PM
pakossa

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Put your tires on the old (non-UST) rims you have and inflate to max PSI. Let sit for 2 days, remove, and then you should hopefully find a lot easier to get on the UST rims.
Interesting. Maybe I will try that. Thing is, that doesn't do me any good when I get a flat 30 miles from home . . .
Likes For pakossa:
Old 11-11-20, 05:03 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I missed the UST part, different animal, but still stand by the tools I mentioned for todays clincher tires.
Old 11-11-20, 05:05 PM
pakossa

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Rims designed for tubeless tires have a center channel. In order to mount tires easily you have to make sure that the tire bead is in the channel as you pull the tire over the rest of the rim. Using the correct technique, I have successfully mounted road tubeless tires on tubeless compatible rims without any tools at all
When I'm pulling the tire on, it just keeps sliding around, usually getting hung up along the rim wall. Any tricks to get it to stay in the center?
Old 11-11-20, 05:34 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by pakossa
Interesting. Maybe I will try that. Thing is, that doesn't do me any good when I get a flat 30 miles from home . . .
Once it is stretched it should stay stretched. Having said that, if you need a bead jack or other tool at home you will need to take it with you on rides or you will be stuck if you get a flat.
Another alternative would be to use a thinner rim tape; if you are using the common Velox cloth tape you might consider switching to Kapton, filament tape or Continental Easy Tape, which are thinner and leave more room in the rim for the bead to drop down.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 11-13-20, 02:45 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Occasionally tubeless ready rims really genuinely don't play nice with some tires, but it is often that improved tire mounting technique can make everything doable with your hands and a normal tire lever.

Start opposite the valve, get one side of the tire on the rim--this is made easiest if you try to get it into the center channel. To get the other side on, pinch the tire into the center channel while pushing the whole tire towards the valve. Once you get to the last bit, go ahead and start opposite the valve again, pressing the tire into the center and towards the valve, before trying to pull the tire over the rim. This will work with 95% of tubeless rims with clincher tires, but there are absolutely some combos that work terribly. I wouldn't personally choose any setup that required tools to mount, though as a professional mechanic I'm better at mounting tires than the vast majority of riders.

Also make sure that even if you aren't using tubeless tires, that your rims are set up with tubeless tape as it is absolutely necessary to mount tires smoothly. Definitely, for the love of all that is good, do not use velox or similar in a tubeless rim (as much as I love velox).

If you genuinely want some non-tubeless rims, there's still some options, particularly given you're running relatively large tires for a road bike. Mavic makes the Open Pro C which is a standard clincher, although truthfully running wider tires like you are you'll have a better ride quality using something wider. Maybe Velocity Dyad?