Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Front Rack Idea

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Front Rack Idea

Old 11-22-20, 03:27 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Front Rack Idea

So I am interested in your advice. I have a finished fork and have a VO front Rando rack. My idea is to make the pannier rack,the square, and make my attachment points at the dropout the canti post and the front of the VO rack.
I am looking at this idea to save repainting since I don't have mid-fork bosses.
Thoughts??
Thanks!
Old 11-22-20, 05:07 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Notice how the strut from the top platform to the canti boss is curved? This is done (I believe) for aesthetic reasons, but it's structurally inefficient. To counter a load from above (weight and dynamic loads such as hitting a bump), these struts are put in compression, and compression beams need to be straight. Imagine sitting on the rack, all your weight — that curved strut would buckle immediately. Before you complain that you don't intend for it to take that much weight, just let me point out that very lightweight racks (lighter than your VO) can be made that will hold all your weight without buckling, as long as they use straight compression struts.

So, starting with a compromised rack as your basis, I would strongly advise adding a clamp-on mid-fork attachment point, such as the Tubus. (Not advocating Amazon, just the first google hit I got.)

Speaking of Tubus, you are unlikely to make a rack as good as their Tara, which is very inexpensive (under $50 some places on the web), so make sure you know why you are making the rack yourself. And study the Tara to see if some of the ideas there could be used to improve your design, such as a hoop over the front tire, well forward of where you can attach to your existing rack. That and the very large diameter tubing they use, maybe not "pretty" but it massively reduces jiggle and thus improves handling and safety.

Then, with a mid-fork attachment and a hoop over the tire, you might as well eliminate the struts connecting the two racks, as they aren't doing anything anymore. Sorry, I guess I have just completely shot down your idea.

Hey, I'm not immune to the desire to make 'em pretty, not casting aspersions, just be sure your rack is worth all the time you're going to put into it.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 11-22-20, 06:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
VO probably made that strut curved to copy people like Peter Weigle, who does it to keep fork compliance.

I didn't want to agree with it because I'm afraid it's not that great for the canti boss, as well as the issue Bulgie raises. I like the clamp on mid fork mount idea.
Old 11-22-20, 08:12 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Mark, thanks for your critique ! I kinda thought I was barking up the wrong tree.
I am familiar with the Tara as we have them on our touring bikes.