Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crusty Allegro

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crusty Allegro

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 12:02 PM
JBCIII

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
rustystrings61 ok, thanks for posting those catalogs. Double checking my measurements, it is 60cm C-T of seat tube, as recorded to top tube. I had let my tape settle in the base of the curve on the seat lug. 59 top tube. My stem is an 11cm. Thanks for the info.

John
Old 01-16-21, 12:27 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Sure looks a lot like mine, same size, same condition.

That Brooks B17 is older than the rest of the bike. the oval stamp was discontinued in 1954 or something.

Different stem shifters come with a some very different kinds of clamps, often ridiculously heavy, some better than others, most to be had cheap. I'm sure half of the C&V regulars have at least one set of stem shifters in the bins. Didn't Huret make stem shifters that can be fitted with campagnolo shifters? But hold on, i think I have a fairly recent set of Sun stem shifters that have the standard Campy-type mounting system. I just have to find them....

Edit...
Okay, I found the Sun shifters I mentioned. Never mind. They have some kind of proprietary interface to the levers. You'd need to do some machining to get it to fit Campagnolo levers.

Last edited by rhm; 01-16-21 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-16-21, 11:41 AM
JBCIII

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
rhm all of the knowledge you guys have of these old bikes is awesome. The Brooks insight is interesting. The seat on this looks natural in color. I would’ve anticipated black but perhaps the dye has come off of it? Do you know if Brooks offered colors in the past, as they do now?
I had read your whole thread before I purchased this one as the pictures in the ad exposed all the bad chrome. I found some interesting YouTube videos on chrome paint.
Your bike came out well. I’m already wrestling with wanting to make it pretty vs. just getting it sound & rideable Lol.
I’ve found remnants of gold pinstripe around the lugs. Man, these must’ve been stunners when new.
Thanks for the info & insight. J
Old 01-16-21, 11:45 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 486 Posts
Fantastic project. Amazing that it has pretty much original components throughout too. I wouldn't change anything except clean, polish and lube (and change critical wear parts such as the cables, housings, brake pads, tires and tape. Allegro's always had fantastic paint jobs. If it were mine I would carefully polish that paint (being very careful of the decals) with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound followed by wax. The chrome is pitted, but it doesn't look like the pitting is too deep. I bet that will polish out too after an evaporust or mild acid treatment.
Likes For davester:
Old 01-16-21, 12:13 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
Sadly not ALL Allegros had such fantasical paint jobs, at least mine (from about '74) has a plain-vanilla scheme with one-color paint and no chrome to mention. But besides Allegro other Swiss marques also went in for the wild finishes: smoked, fades, pin-stripes and more...Mondia (and sister Juvela) did for sure, and maybe some of the early Cilo also "went there". It's a Swiss thing I suppose, like banking, watches, chocolate, cheese...
Old 01-16-21, 01:42 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by JBCIII
The Brooks insight is interesting. The seat on this looks natural in color. I would’ve anticipated black but perhaps the dye has come off of it? Do you know if Brooks offered colors in the past, as they do now?
No, sorry, I definitely don't know what they offered and when. I really don't pay that much attention to color. I don't see the same colors as most people do. I had one old Brooks saddle that, when I sold it, the new owner said the green color would be perfect for his project. That saddle was green? First I'd heard of it! That said, I think I can usually tell brown from black saddles, and I can't remember black Brooks saddles that old.

The spiffy thing for this bike would be a B17 Competition Standard, a predecessor to the Brooks Professional-- same shape, same frame, but styled more like a B17. I have one, dated A 59, that I was thinking of putting on my Allegro, but I don't need to subject a 60 year old saddle to the stresses of regular riding, I have other saddles.

How's that for a helpful reply!
Old 01-20-21, 03:55 PM
JBCIII

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well, the Allegro went to a new care taker. A regular hear talked me out of it. After some thinking on it, it proved a bit too much to bite off. I really wanted it to head in the direction of a restoration and I just can’t do that right now.
Thanks guys for the comments & insight on these bikes.