Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

7 months to get new bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

7 months to get new bike

Old 01-06-21, 04:09 PM
johbren

Bikes: specialized crossroads terra trike rover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
7 months to get new bike

Just called my dealer to order a new trek verve2 and he said it would be july before it comes in. He said the only reason im getting it that quick is he ordered it for stock on his show room last fall and no body else had spoken for it. He said if not for that it would be Sept.
Likes For johbren:
Old 01-06-21, 05:01 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I hope it comes in a color you like, and that it's the correct size for you.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 01-06-21, 05:46 PM
johbren

Yes fortunatly its suppose to be a red medium.
Likes For johbren:
Old 01-07-21, 08:51 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Guess it depends on where you live and how lucky you are. I have a friend that rides rail-trails all over PA and surrounding regions (even went to VT to ride one). He said on one of his rides that a rider had a new Trek FX (think it was an FX 3). This was mid-summer 2020. The rider said he had just purchased it. Don't know where it was purchased, but all of the dealers around the area had told my friend it could be spring 2021 before they would maybe have more available. Watch various sites for used bikes--might be more coming up for sale once people are back to working from the office and not riding so much. Might be some who found that they didn't enjoy riding as much as they expected.
Old 01-11-21, 10:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
pretty common issue right now. Parts supply chains are an issue and that is causing a lot of the delay. You are also in between model years as well, so the switch over is also a delay. When I was trying to order my domane, tires were the main issue for the delay.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-26-21, 07:59 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I feel for those ordering new bikes right now. price gouging LBS' AND constrained supply.... The bike companies are robbing us blind. I only paid sticker for one of my several bikes i've bought in the last few years as the margin on most bikes is 50%-60% in some cases. Tough market now - did you consider getting a used bike on craigslist (which also has it's own set of challenges/price gouging now) ?
Old 02-26-21, 11:44 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
I feel for those ordering new bikes right now. price gouging LBS' AND constrained supply.... The bike companies are robbing us blind. I only paid sticker for one of my several bikes i've bought in the last few years as the margin on most bikes is 50%-60% in some cases. Tough market now - did you consider getting a used bike on craigslist (which also has it's own set of challenges/price gouging now) ?
Interesting, I haven't seen any price gouging on bikes in my area (PA, MD,WV,VA, yes I live near all of above). I have seen the shops be able to get full or near full price for the bikes, if that's what you mean?

Wonder what bikes have a markup of 50-60% though? Guessing the more expensive bikes that are above $1000. I wonder, cause I bought two bikes 2 months before the pandemic hit at cost from an LBS trying to get the bikes sold. It was around 25% discount from MSRP. Which of course made me happy that I bought those bikes before this whole industry mess started. Scott Scale that was normally $1000 for only $750 and my Sub Cross that was normally $750 for $550.

Now Used bikes, yea, I have looked through Facebook Marketplace to see the hilarious gouging going on right now of used bikes. Or some people purchasing bikes from retailers and increasing the prices 3 fold. That just boggles the mind.

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-26-21 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 11:58 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
We ordered a bike for my spouse last Mother's Day. In Nov a bike arrived that was the wrong color and size. To this day, we're on the waitlist at three shops, none of which has been able to fulfill the original request, and I'm not sure they're even trying anymore. In the meantime, we found a used example of the bike she wanted on eBay and bought that -- and still had to pay close to MSRP.
Old 03-01-21, 12:36 PM
TrekWarMachine

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
I find it helpful to use Trek's website, as you can click on what color and size you would like. It will show that it is out of stock, but just below is a search tool by zip code and there is a toggle button to 'view in stock only' bikes that may be available at other local stores in your area. Good luck!
Old 03-02-21, 06:08 AM
sh00k

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Interesting, I haven't seen any price gouging on bikes in my area (PA, MD,WV,VA, yes I live near all of above). I have seen the shops be able to get full or near full price for the bikes, if that's what you mean?

Wonder what bikes have a markup of 50-60% though? Guessing the more expensive bikes that are above $1000. I wonder, cause I bought two bikes 2 months before the pandemic hit at cost from an LBS trying to get the bikes sold. It was around 25% discount from MSRP. Which of course made me happy that I bought those bikes before this whole industry mess started. Scott Scale that was normally $1000 for only $750 and my Sub Cross that was normally $750 for $550.

Now Used bikes, yea, I have looked through Facebook Marketplace to see the hilarious gouging going on right now of used bikes. Or some people purchasing bikes from retailers and increasing the prices 3 fold. That just boggles the mind.
price gouging = most (all?) manufacturers raising prices on all bikes across all price points citing 'supply constraints' yet they're putting inferior parts on their bikes now for higher margins.

great timing on your two bikes! before pandemic, at least for trek, margins on $1,500+ bikes were about 60% and much higher obviously for bikes that sell $2,000 or way above that. You scored a great deal - 25% is amazing. I believe the last four LBS purchases I made (in 2010-2015), i was able to get 20% off msrp or so so you definitely cleaned up! yeah, this whole industry now with pricing and cheap components is such a mess. i would hate to be in the position to buy a bike now knowing i'm being deliberately ripped off without hiding it.

And don't get me started on those steel gravel bikes - those heavy bikes would sell for $300 in the past but now they put lipstick on a pig and are commanding $1k and up?!!? mind boggling. I think they look great and i would love to have one but i would never pay near four figures for a 40 pound bike.

apologies in advance for the old-man-yelling-at-the-clouds rant.

Last edited by sh00k; 03-02-21 at 07:30 AM.
Likes For sh00k:
Old 03-02-21, 08:57 AM
Nate8727

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 1 Disc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by johbren
Just called my dealer to order a new trek verve2 and he said it would be july before it comes in. He said the only reason im getting it that quick is he ordered it for stock on his show room last fall and no body else had spoken for it. He said if not for that it would be Sept.
Have you tried other dealers near you? It's worth a shot at least. By the time July comes you've got a lot less time to ride.
Old 03-02-21, 09:52 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
And don't get me started on those steel gravel bikes - those heavy bikes would sell for $300 in the past but now they put lipstick on a pig and are commanding $1k and up?!!? mind boggling. I think they look great and i would love to have one but i would never pay near four figures for a 40 pound bike.
Who is selling a 40lb steel gravel bike at over 1K that used to sell for 300? I'm curious. Those are some wild numbers there.
Old 03-02-21, 10:04 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman

I'd love to know which brand is offering shops a 50-60% margin on bikes, having working in the industry you are way off target. Best leadtime I have currently seen is on a Ridley with a leadtime of 86wks
Likes For Dirk de Chablis:
Old 03-02-21, 10:07 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
I'd love to know which brand is offering shops a 50-60% margin on bikes, having working in the industry you are way off target. Best leadtime I have currently seen is on a Ridley with a leadtime of 86wks
Having worked in shops, I agree with you.
Old 03-02-21, 11:15 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
uhhhh... I'm not the one stating those margins, just quoting someone else..... Ask him.....
Old 03-02-21, 08:16 PM
johbren

I'm in no rush thank god. I stillgot my terra trikeand also my specialized cross roads.
Old 03-03-21, 02:28 PM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 31 Posts
Glad I got my Roll when I did because now even if I bought the best version it would cost $400 more and no nearly as good as my Elite version. Got lucky that I bought a few months before all the Covid BS went down. I know I could sell it for more than I paid for it but then I wouldn't have a bike so I glad I got the one I wanted and will enjoy riding. Feel bad for those that can't find a bike. I known the owner at my dealer for 46 years now so when he tells me it's nearly impossible to get bikes right now I believe him plus all the other local shops don't have hardly any bikes on the floor.
Old 03-03-21, 05:32 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I get that there's been a huge disruption to the normal flow of the bike industry, but July-September is fairly normal, isn't it? It is here in Korea, at least.

Companies announce their new bikes in late May or early June, although there are often bigger announcements of flagship road bikes in April or earlier, done early so that they are not overshadowed by the other bikes in the lineup.

Certain models arrive in stores first, but a lot of new year model bikes (i.e. 2022 year model bikes released in mid 2021) are available in July-September, depending on the company. New bikes sell steadily and by the following March, many models are sold out, or only available in certain sizes. Some bike shops will have bikes on the floor from various preceding years in a range of sizes, though, some of which seem cursed to never sell for whatever reason (I once saw one in a country not Korea that had been test ridden so many times it was basically a used bike, being sold as new).

By February-March, retailers are starting to anticipate the arrival of new stock, and so begin to discount anything they have left from the previous year (commonly bikes with XS and XL frames). This varies, however, and some stores have bikes that have gathered dust, sitting around with dry-rotted tires, that may have sold with a discount and a little effort on their part.

So while the current pandemic cycling industry situation has been difficult for many, waiting until July or September for a new bike in the size you need and in the colorway you want is entirely normal, for me at least.

Edit: Dorel Industries brands, Cannondale and GT are actually breaking the mold of mid-year releases, going to a new year release schedule (https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...r#.YEAbHVT7SUk).

Last edited by PDKL45; 03-03-21 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-05-21, 07:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Scheller's Cycling (outside of Louisville,KY) has Verves and also FX's in stock currently (or did as of 3/2). Scheller's Fitness and Cycling | Louisville, KY
Old 03-05-21, 10:29 AM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm in RI and have had a Sirrus X 5.0 on order since September. Now they're telling me June. I've checked Landry's and they say the same. If I keep the order, at this rate I'll likely get a 2022 model.
Old 03-05-21, 02:54 PM
sh00k

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Who is selling a 40lb steel gravel bike at over 1K that used to sell for 300? I'm curious. Those are some wild numbers there.
I was implying that heavy bikes did not usually command premiums and those same bikes are now being sold with nicer paint jobs and perhaps better components for greatly more $. The margins on bikes that are north of $1,500 or so are 60% in some cases so the markups are incredible compared to what you're getting. The figures I stated are ballparks but the point is that you are now getting greatly less bike for greatly more money. This trend has been going on for the last 2-4 years but covid exacerbated it.
Old 03-05-21, 04:29 PM
DorkDisk

I was implying that heavy bikes did not usually command premiums and those same bikes are now being sold with nicer paint jobs and perhaps better components for greatly more $. The margins on bikes that are north of $1,500 or so are 60% in some cases so the markups are incredible compared to what you're getting. The figures I stated are ballparks but the point is that you are now getting greatly less bike for greatly more money. This trend has been going on for the last 2-4 years but covid exacerbated it.
Your ballparks are way off. Steel bikes are not in the 40 lb ballpark either, far from it. No, the markups are not that high either.
Old 03-05-21, 05:33 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
You must have the patience of a saint. I wouldn’t/couldn’t wait a month....let alone MANY months for a bike(or anything else, for that matter) to arrive.
Old 03-08-21, 09:13 AM
sh00k

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Your ballparks are way off. Steel bikes are not in the 40 lb ballpark either, far from it. No, the markups are not that high either.
The margins are >60% on Trek's that cost $1,500+. source: prior access to the LBS/Trek ordering portal.
Old 03-13-21, 01:43 AM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. I called a Trek dealer about an FX2. Their estimated delivery date is June 2022!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.