Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Old 03-06-21, 09:22 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidgoldman
Picked up this super red and Shiki international 4130 CR MO And found this thread hoping to find some more info. Pick it up from the gentleman at a garage sale he didn’t have any info. Anything that you guys could give would be super appreciated! I tried uploading photos, but it saying I can’t because I haven’t posted enough on bike forums. The bike is white with a splattering of black and it’s a change number one made in Taiwan. Has the red and blue does Shiki emblems and it says it’s the performance equip
Welcome to the forum. Here's a link to your photo gallery https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/535355

Based on the logo style and the Shimano 105SC components, this should be a 1990 model. By that time the ATB trend had pared Nishiki's road line down to four models. The International was 2nd in the road line with an MSRP of $599 US. Tange #1 tubing is good and would have been 2nd in the Tange line at the time. The 105SC components were 3rd level for Shimano. I notice that it's TIG welded construction, which was just starting to take over from lugs as a more economical and flexible method. Taiwanese manufacture was becoming typical for the price point, taking over from the Japanese. It would be consisdered a decent, mid-range, sports model for its era.
Old 03-25-21, 05:11 AM
baguslho

Bikes: Nishiki International 1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by da07079
Nishiki Comp III WE18822 (18,882nd frame produced in 1985 for the US market, according to the first post)

The bike is brick red with a silver seat tube and yellow decals. Scrapes on chainstays, seat stays and fork reveal chrome under the paint.

"Hand crafted by Kawamura 100% Chromoly" painted on the left chain stay. Seat tube stickers say "Tang 1 Cr-Mo Seamless Double-butted Tubing" and "Criterium Racing Frame Geometry." Fork sticker says ""Cro-Mo Steel Tang Fork Blade."

Suntour Superbe Pro derailers (front BG=July'85, rear BH=Aug'85), Suntour Superbe downtube levers.
Suntour Sprint brakes, Suntour aero levers.
Suntour Sprint 175mm crank 53/42.

Horizontal Nishiki forged dropouts, w/ adjuster screws.

Suntour Sprint sealed bearing hubs, 36-spoke araya 700C rims.
Suntour Winner 7-speed 7-21 freewheel, Ulra-6 chain.

Nitto Olympiade bars, Technomic stem.

Sugino seat post, Selle RoyalGel saddle.

Weighs 22lbs (w/ tires, w/o pedals).
Attachment 204012Attachment 204013Attachment 204014
hello mr da07079, i want to ask you what size of this sugino seatpost?
thanks for the answer
Old 03-25-21, 06:24 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by baguslho
thanks for the answer
The seat post on the subject bicycle would be 26.6mm. However, I recently answered another inquiry of yours regarding the seat post size on a 1986 Nishiki International LD, which would be 27.2mm. These two bicycles use different versions of Tange #1. The Comp III uses standard, imperial diameter, Tange#1 and stock construction, while the International LD uses large diameter Tange #1 with internal lugs. Consequently, they use different seat post sizes.

To properly answer your numerous posts on the subject, we need to known exactly what you have. Given that you are in Indonesia and each market has different model names, photos would be helpful. At the very least, we need to know the outer diameter of the seat tube, the construction method and the tubeset.
Old 03-25-21, 06:34 AM
baguslho

Bikes: Nishiki International 1986

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The seat post on the subject bicycle would be 26.6mm. However, I recently answered another inquiry of yours regarding the seat post size on a 1986 Nishiki International LD, which would be 27.2mm. These two bicycles use different versions of Tange #1. The Comp III uses standard, imperial diameter, Tange#1 and stock construction, while the International LD uses large diameter Tange #1 with internal lugs. Consequently, they use different seat post sizes.

To properly answer your numerous posts on the subject, we need to known exactly what you have. Given that you are in Indonesia and each market has different model names, photos would be helpful. At the very least, we need to know the outer diameter of the seat tube, the construction method and the tubeset.

Now i use 27.2 but seatpin is to tight like this, maybe the catalague is wrong?
outer seattube diameter is 31.8

Last edited by baguslho; 03-25-21 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For baguslho:
Old 03-25-21, 08:50 AM
da07079

Bikes: 1981 Miyata 710, 2007 Cannondale Cyclocross Disc, 2007 KHS Tandemania Milano, 2007 Rans Force 5 Enduro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for the answer
I'm sorry, but I no longer own this bike
Old 03-25-21, 09:41 AM
T-Mar

Now i use 27.2 but seatpin is to tight like this, maybe the catalague is wrong?

outer seattube diameter is 31.8

I don't believe the seat post is undersize by much, if at all. Looking at the picture, the problem appears to be overtightening of the cinch bolt, to the point where the mounts have deformed/bent and are touching each other. If you look at the cinch slot itself, there is still a very noticeable gap at the top, about 2/3 the width of the slot at the bottom. Typically, cinch slots are cut about 3mm wide, so this one appears to be about 1mm narrower at the top. Even with a correct size post, proper tightening will result in a cinch slot narrowing by about 0.6mm.

So, the frame might accept a 27.4mm post but it doesn't look like it would accept 28.6mm (and it definitely won't take 31.6mm), which are the most common sizes for oversize frames. 27.4mm isn't a common size, so it was most likely designed for 27.2mm. The current post might be slightly under its listed size or the lug may have been aggressively reamed.
Old 03-25-21, 10:09 AM
Albion 

Bikes: 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE, 1974 Araya, 1986 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Centurion le Mans

Hi T-Mar, many thanks for what you are doing here! I now have my two daily rides accurately dated, thanks to you. I picked up a very smart Centurion Super le Mans a few days ago in great condition but with a large frame, with the intention of swapping to a smaller one. Found the frame for a much older le Mans the next day and I am impressed with its smart brazed-on cable stops and chromed socks. There's one number, stamped on the seat tube, at the back and just below the pinch bolt B622. It was once a metallic red and bears the remains of a decal stating "Designed by Mitchell" and another "Guarantee". Might there be a clue? Photos below, and the Super le Mans that shares the same FD and RD is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21980270

It once was red metallic.

Guaranteed?

Last edited by Albion; 03-25-21 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-25-21, 04:56 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Albion
Hi T-Mar, many thanks for what you are doing here! I now have my two daily rides accurately dated, thanks to you. I picked up a very smart Centurion Super le Mans a few days ago in great condition but with a large frame, with the intention of swapping to a smaller one. Found the frame for a much older le Mans the next day and I am impressed with its smart brazed-on cable stops and chromed socks. There's one number, stamped on the seat tube, at the back and just below the pinch bolt B622. It was once a metallic red and bears the remains of a decal stating "Designed by Mitchell" and another "Guarantee". Might there be a clue? Photos below, and the Super le Mans that shares the same FD and RD is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21980270

It once was red metallic.

Guaranteed?
Yes, those short alpha-numeric stampings on the seat tube are typically the only things reported on the Centurions with the Raleighesque graphics. As far as I know, nobody has been able to make heads or tails of them. Your best bet would be date codes on any components. The crankset might have dual letter date codes on the back of the arms. If it came with derailleurs, they should SunTour and also have date codes consisting of two letters.
Old 03-25-21, 05:36 PM
Albion 

Thanks so much!

Hi T-Mar, thanks for replying so quickly. I didn't see any date codes on the FD or DR, but both show 4532 as in the photo. The drive-side crankarm has 906 on the back, it's a Tourney. Hope this helps further - even if it's a rough date range.

Old 03-25-21, 06:40 PM
T-Mar

Hi T-Mar, thanks for replying so quickly. I didn't see any date codes on the FD or DR, but both show 4532 as in the photo. The drive-side crankarm has 906 on the back, it's a Tourney. Hope this helps further - even if it's a rough date range.
Based on the cage style, the rear derailleur should be a circa 1974-1977 model. The rear derailleur date codes are typically stamped on the back of the rear parallelogram arm, while the front derailleur date codes were typically stamped on the back of the cage. During this period, the date codes were typically stamped inside a small circle. Here's an example of a rear derailleur with date code PG (i.e. 1973 July).

Old 03-25-21, 07:32 PM
Albion 

And more!

Hi T-Mar, i am ashamed that I thought the circled numbers to be trademarks. So here they are!

Old 03-26-21, 05:42 AM
T-Mar

Hi T-Mar, i am ashamed that I thought the circled numbers to be trademarks. So here they are!
So, the date code is QB, which represents, February 1974, which should make the frame a 1974 model. The 2nd photo says JIS, which is the symbol for Japanese Industrial Standards.
Old 03-26-21, 08:52 AM
Albion 

T-Mar, thank you so much, and apologies again for not knowing about the date letters. This is great to know and allowed me to determine more about the frame. If of use to your many readers, I found a recent website for Centurion enthusiasts here: Vintage Centurion Bicycles. Sheldon Brown's site has a contribution from one of his successors at https://www.sheldonbrown.com/centurion.html, which quotes you at length, something that will never, ever happen to me. Thanks again!
Old 03-26-21, 08:32 PM
85campione

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Extremely grateful for your post. It help me date my Nishiki Prestige! Sincere thank you bro.
Old 03-28-21, 06:43 PM
Jimbo1983

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
I don't believe the seat post is undersize by much, if at all. Looking at the picture, the problem appears to be overtightening of the cinch bolt, to the point where the mounts have deformed/bent and are touching each other. If you look at the cinch slot itself, there is still a very noticeable gap at the top, about 2/3 the width of the slot at the bottom. Typically, cinch slots are cut about 3mm wide, so this one appears to be about 1mm narrower at the top. Even with a correct size post, proper tightening will result in a cinch slot narrowing by about 0.6mm.

So, the frame might accept a 27.4mm post but it doesn't look like it would accept 28.6mm (and it definitely won't take 31.6mm), which are the most common sizes for oversize frames. 27.4mm isn't a common size, so it was most likely designed for 27.2mm. The current post might be slightly under its listed size or the lug may have been aggressively reamed.
I've had two of those Nishiki Internationals with the oversized tubing and both took a 27.4mm. The catalogue states they are 27.2 but I suspect some overly excited reaming in the factory has caused them to be too big. Both frames had cracking in the lugs/tubes from the clamps being tightened too much with the stock 27.2 in there. One I had repaired and later sold, the other I got used and fitted a shim right away so the cracks haven't spread far enough to weaken the clamps.

Would you like the serial no. of the second of my frames? I still have it hanging in the garage awaiting better days.
Old 03-29-21, 07:12 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
I've had two of those Nishiki Internationals with the oversized tubing and both took a 27.4mm. The catalogue states they are 27.2 but I suspect some overly excited reaming in the factory has caused them to be too big. Both frames had cracking in the lugs/tubes from the clamps being tightened too much with the stock 27.2 in there. One I had repaired and later sold, the other I got used and fitted a shim right away so the cracks haven't spread far enough to weaken the clamps.

Would you like the serial no. of the second of my frames? I still have it hanging in the garage awaiting better days.
Thank-you for posting. Just to be clear, did the frames have a 27.2mm post when you rec'd them? Yes, I'd appreciate the serial number, though it probably won't cause any revelations. TIA.
Old 03-29-21, 05:03 PM
Jimbo1983

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Thank-you for posting. Just to be clear, did the frames have a 27.2mm post when you rec'd them? Yes, I'd appreciate the serial number, though it probably won't cause any revelations. TIA.
No worries. First the serial, it's WF00969. The frame is one of those pink and dark-grey Internationals that came with Suntour Sprint, same as here

The first bike I got was the blue and silver one, which had the 27.2 spec seatpost. I had problems with it slipping and probably should have shimmed it, but anyway ended up cracking the clamp area. When I took it to get repaired the frame builder (who did a nice job brazing a new lug up) said that the tube measured out much closer to 27.4 than 27.2 which would have caused the issue. I bought a 27.4 seatpost and rode the bike for a couple of years before selling.
I then found the current one on the facebook trader, cheap as it had no groupset. I bought it knowing the possible issues, and sure enough found that it was starting to crack by the clamps. I made a shim for a 27.2 seatpost and rode it for a while before buying a 27.4 seatpost which fits very nicely.
I should add that I am in New Zealand, maybe bikes for the Oceania/Asia market were finished differently in a different factory or it's just they were made on a friday afternoon just before clock-out time
Old 03-31-21, 05:44 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
American Eagle saved from the trash bin

Saving this old beast from certain death....

Old tank with bent front fork

KB -Kawamura Built

Another serial number for T-Mar

Old 04-03-21, 09:44 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Went by our (usually closed) co-op to check on the dumpster this week and found this tall Backroads MTB from the '80s hanging out by the dumpster. I don't mind dumpster diving but this technically wasn't in the thing so I left it alone but posted about it. Another forumista inquired about getting it so I phoned the co-op and was told that stuff around and in the dumpster is fair game so I grabbed it. Originally sold by The Unicycle in Blacksburg VA the serial number looks like it has a misstrike.

First character looks like a bad 6 (Maybe a C?) followed by 690003. Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-21, 04:57 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Londonsworld
Saving this old beast from certain death....
Old tank with bent front fork
KB -Kawamura Built
Another serial number for T-Mar
The very high five numeral serial number should place it circa 1971. Thxs for posting.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-03-21 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-03-21, 05:58 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by thumpism
Went by our (usually closed) co-op to check on the dumpster this week and found this tall Backroads MTB from the '80s hanging out by the dumpster. I don't mind dumpster diving but this technically wasn't in the thing so I left it alone but posted about it. Another forumista inquired about getting it so I phoned the co-op and was told that stuff around and in the dumpster is fair game so I grabbed it. Originally sold by The Unicycle in Blacksburg VA the serial number looks like it has a misstrike.

First character looks like a bad 6 (Maybe a C?) followed by 690003. Hope this helps.
The graphic are indicative of a 1987 model, so I'm assuming the well struck '6' is the calendar year and that it was built in late 1986. Giant was still building the Nishiki entry level models at the time and I'm wondering if the intended S/N was Gx690003, where 'x' is an alpha character indicating the fortnight? Thxs for posting.
Old 04-03-21, 10:21 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Nishiki Century

Serial# 4009466
Dia-Compe front brake caliper date code: 1283M
27” wheels
Frame is in very good shape. Red paint has nice sheen. I’m going to build it up with updated components and alu wheels for my daughter.

Last edited by b dub; 04-03-21 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 10:40 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by b dub
Serial# 4009466
Dia-Compe front brake caliper date code: 1283M
27” wheels
Frame is in very good shape. Red paint has nice sheen. I’m going to build it up with updated components and alu wheels for my daughter.
The subject bicycle appears to be a 1984 Nishiki Century, manufactured by Giant of Taiwan. There should be a date code on the other dropout, format Gmmyy, where mm is the month and yy is the year.
Old 04-04-21, 10:53 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
The subject bicycle appears to be a 1984 Nishiki Century, manufactured by Giant of Taiwan. There should be a date code on the other dropout, format Gmmyy, where mm is the month and yy is the year.
Bingo

Old 04-05-21, 05:31 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
. . . Originally sold by The Unicycle in Blacksburg VA the serial number looks like it has a misstrike.

I have seen this format and location of serial number before on USA Nishiki bicycles.

The first and last characters on this frame were not struck cleanly. I would suggest that the serial number reads as: G6900030.

This is a Giant of Taiwan serial number from later in 1986. This is the time when Giant was changing the format of serial numbers stamped onto the frames. Giant was no longer stamping a date code separate from the serial number.

This format has only one letter: G for Giant the manufacturer.
The first number, "6", is for the year of frame manufacture: 1986.
As stated previously this is a 1987 model Nishiki.

It appears that this format of Giant serial number was only used for a few weeks.
Later in 1986, Giant added a second letter into the serial number and removed a digit from the end.

Last edited by Hummer; 04-05-21 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.