Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 04-02-21, 02:23 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Not a lot to report from my current Sweet spot base phase. I’m doing a new to me workout this weekend 3x25min at 85%, generally TR plans keep interval lengths to 20mins or sometimes 30mins with breaks, so it’s interesting to do a workout like this with longer interval but lower percentage.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-02-21, 02:41 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
Fiesta - 3 sets of 8x(30” on 1’ off). Nothing massive for the on segment - between 110 and 120%. Tomorrow, we are going to roll out early for 2x20K TTT on Fiesta.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-03-21, 02:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Day off. I got my J&J shot yesterday. Feeling mildly flu-ish today so I am on the couch watching soccer now and hoops later.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-03-21, 02:48 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Hit a 20' PR today that has been a goal for several years. First time ever at 4.2W/kg for 20 minutes*. I'm stoked! Now its time to turn my focus to shorter durations.

*my real goal is a 4.0W/kg FTP, and I know 4.2W/kg for 20' doesn't mean I can hold 4w/kg for an hour, but since training peaks thinks its my FTP, I'm happy .
Old 04-03-21, 03:37 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Did a 40 mile gravel ride (4000 ft climbing) which was much harder than it sounds, most people were on MTB. They were all pretty slow going up into the mountain, so I went up with someone else kinda faster and he dropped me. On a downhill switchback, I hit a big rock and went over the bars. Not sure if it was because I wasn't looking ahead enough, or that it was hidden by a shadow, regardless I didn't see it. My kneecap was sticking out and I first though, yep, its broken...but I it seems fine now. Was pretty damn sore but I was able to continue, then stopped the nonsense and turned around solo. I was alone in the middle of the forest, so I took it easy.

That was about 10x harder than I expected, didn't help I ran out of water before the halfway mark.

Likes For furiousferret:
Old 04-04-21, 07:51 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Glad you are ok FF. Looks like a beautiful place to ride.
Likes For cmh:
Old 04-05-21, 11:23 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
4x15' @ FTP up Mt. Soledad yesterday. It was a nice week for me, I got 12 hours in and 4 outdoor rides! Usually everything but Saturdays is on Zwift these days. CTL is up to 71, and I'm adding in anaerobic work again. No weights yesterday, I was pretty wiped and decided to do some fresh sprint work tomorrow instead. I'll need to get out the door early if I'm to get them in, so will see if I can wake up for it. I'm still a little heavier than last season, so I'm hoping to gain some FTP watts to make up for it. Last test had me up 15 watts after 7 weeks, hoping I can continue the trend. 300w for near an hour would make me pretty pleased, and put me at 4.28 W/kg. I need to find another 22w for that, but this weekly duration overload seems to be working well. Aiming to do 3x20' next week, maybe 1x25' + 2x20' the week after. I seem to see a bump if I retest after I can do 2x35' or 3x25' at FTP.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 04-05-21, 11:44 AM
hubcyclist

Finished week 2 of my adaptive training version of SSB1 HV, last week I sent a video link to folks who requested, but I'm going a bit more public, so here's a training vlog from last week. It's really only dealing with the TR plan itself so not a lot of insight from a broader training perspective, but might be interesting to some. I've got a couple of ideas on some non-TR related content, so maybe some day I'll get around to doing that lol Anyhow, the short version is that I think adaptive training focuses on giving folks gradual nudges in workout progressions throughout a week and it's less of throwing folks into the deep end as far as 15-20min straight intervals

Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-05-21, 12:46 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Back into some work this week. Slow week and a half before. Lunch TT ride. Want to sneak in a 30min trot in the hood tonight. Tomorrow, lunch TT ride for an hour then 2 hours after work. Hope to hit some solid TSS this week.

Using this triathlete style drink thing on the front of the Trinity is nice. Tilt neck and drink like an animal. Sweet. Holds over 2 standard bottles also. That'd come off for racing. But man, convenient. It's mildly aero as it is built for the frame, but at "yaw" it's like adding 50mm of wheel depth on the front in a cross wind. It'll push you around. I mean, it's aero straight on but from the side it's like a freaking plastic box. So a big plastic box in a cross wind will act like a big plastic box. But it helps me make TSS in aero without stopping, so there's that.
Old 04-05-21, 12:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Easy ride with the kid yesterday, commute today. Tomorrow, I will get back into it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-06-21, 02:45 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I was talking to my buddy who is a peloton guy earlier today. He was talking about his FTP test improvements over the months he's had this, and P/W ratios. I pulled out a 2/19 test where I hit 5.24 to send him screen shots of ("you hit, what, about 4.0"?). It was like blowing the dust off the rare super old scotch.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-06-21, 05:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,642 Posts
haha he was probably like "daaaaaaaaamn"
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-07-21, 09:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I think the peloton is good for more casual fitness folks. Good stuff. But the numbers can be a bit optimistic.

Last night was good for the soul. Happened upon an informal TT ride group. I was already tired from yesterday and lunch workouts, but decided to give it a go anyway. 2nd OA on the segment all time with pretty junk power and high HR per the power from being tired.

300TSS in two days. Off today or a z1 spin for a few minutes. Then back into it tomorrow at lunch.

I need to improve my focus for workouts. I worry about volume so much these days for preparing for a 25mi TT, but still need some intensity. I think next week I'll ease the volume and devote to some 3x8 and maybe 2x20 work. Engine is no good if you never rev it.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-07-21, 01:36 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
The last pieces of my home gym arrived. So, it is together and functional.

I need to bolt the rack to the platform I constructed, and I need to get some more weights - really just need 2.5 and 5 pound plates for now - and I'd like to get another horse stall mat when they are back in stock.

And I may need yet another fan in the garage.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-07-21, 03:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yesterday, Tuesday morning Fiesta ride, my fav ride in the county. Briefly, a paceline ride with local racers, but periodically a local coach tortures us by gassing it on an ebike to 30+ for a while. When I'm going good, I don't need to slow down and recover as much as most other riders (after ebike attacks) so I can just stay low and squeeze the legs harder for a few seconds and I have an instant gap. I did that a few times for 2-3 minutes of solo leading and otherwise pulled through strong when in rotation. Good times. Rode home after work for about 3 hours total on the day.

PTO training day today, decided to go for 5 instead of 6 (hrs). The legs were a bit sore and uncooperative after yesterday, so I backed off the pace a bit after the first 90 minutes. I felt kinda crappy honestly for most of the ride, but towards the end they came around and I finished the last 90 - 120 min quite strong. I felt great at the end and had a respectable z2 average power. I guess they just needed a lot of warmup after yesterday.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-07-21, 04:13 PM
hubcyclist

I did a 4x20 @ 85% following my vaccine yesterday and it went fine. today I did a 2x20 ~90% and it was not super fine, at least toward the last 10mins of the 2nd. My HR was up in the 170s and that's generally not a thing with sweet spot, so it's possible I'm affected by the vaccine a bit, but I also started the workout mid afternoon, and I'm generally a morning person, so who knows!
Old 04-07-21, 04:29 PM
wktmeow

Went out for some full sprints with long recoveries last night at Fiesta Island at 8:45 PM with the lights on. That was interesting, definitely a different crowd out there in the evening

Sprint watts were not as good as I hoped, only peaked over 1300 twice, the rest were 1200s. Seems like my best peaks come from hitting a roller at speed, I lose a bit on the flats. Good practice though, I need to keep up with doing these at least once a week.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 04-08-21, 04:48 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Struggling with focus now. Not looking like we're going to get any races back on the calendar at this point, so my tentative plan is to find some fondos and "race" them. There's one in particular that I did years ago that's really competitive at the pointy end. I'll try to find a couple more, but it's slim pickins. Those all come around in September.

In the meantime, I think we'll have Tuesday Worlds and there's always KOMs. I guess the May peak was wishful thinking...
Old 04-08-21, 12:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

3x8 TT bike. Discipline resting on the way back to start each lap. Discipline yielded results. For that section of road I got pr's and consistent times and power for the sets. All 3 sets within 7 seconds time and within 2 watts power. HR and pain said I chose my efforts well.

I cleaned the CRV up last night and reorganized it so I can fit my bike in the back but still store some stuff. Sometimes a little zen with stuff like that makes you look forward to starting rides more. No faffing about to get stuff out, etc..... A place for everything and everything in its place.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-09-21, 03:34 PM
wktmeow

Went out to Thursday night worlds yesterday. First fast group ride in over a year and a half I think. I did alright! Some cobwebs, but I was able to rotate at the front and came in through the finish around 6th or 7th. Still got it, what what. NP for the hour was 248w, so not quite at my limit, but the gym work seems to have helped some, as every time I needed to close a gap the stomp I needed was there.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 04-09-21, 09:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,448 Posts
We wrapped up another ski week in Utah and the skiing and weather were perfect. This ski season we had 23 days at Park City, Utah of which we did 19 ski days at Deer Valley - 77,000 vertical feet this week of mostly expert terrain with the largest day of 19,600. And my SpO2 is now normal at altitude so maybe I am acclimated.

This trip was 5 days of back to back hard skiing each day. My legs are pretty trashed this PM. Back on the bike next week but easy peasy.

Last edited by Hermes; 04-10-21 at 07:09 AM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-09-21, 09:28 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Went out to Thursday night worlds yesterday. First fast group ride in over a year and a half I think. I did alright! Some cobwebs, but I was able to rotate at the front and came in through the finish around 6th or 7th. Still got it, what what. NP for the hour was 248w, so not quite at my limit, but the gym work seems to have helped some, as every time I needed to close a gap the stomp I needed was there.
How were the cars? That's the one thing that keeps me from doing that ride more often. I did it last week and it was awful. I hate having to slow down when I'm going good.
Old 04-10-21, 01:28 PM
hubcyclist

I’m visiting my parents again this weekend and went out and untethered myself from the trainer for a workout. I used the trainerroad outside workouts pushed to my garmin and did a series of 5-7min sweet spot intervals (12 of them). The area is really quite flat coastal so even on slightly rolling sections there’s always some type of ocean wind that can ensure steady power. I have a hard time doing structured stuff outside but that 13 mile loop makes steady efforts quite easy
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-10-21, 01:40 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bookended some intervals surrounding our first team event of the year, a skills and racing clinic we put on for the 4's and 5's. Ordinarily I would do this to count toward some of my volunteer obligations. Even though we don't have any of those this year, I still went so I could talk with the team director and mentor/meet some new riders, in the absence of team camp.

Ordinarily I would be nearly halfway to my racing obligations at this point, but the big races I normally would be excited about (VoS cat 2, Tour de Murrieta P/1/2) have passed. The idea of driving up to LA to race a crit 10-15 times between now and EOY isn't super appealing TBH. But, turns out we have no strict obligations since we won't be getting race reimbursement and racing is still up in the air. Fine with me. I did still get free clothing (two kits and one speedsuit), but I donated some cash back to the club.

I've learned through the pandemic that I enjoy the training and community aspects as much as the racing itself, perhaps more. I'm most excited about the return of community events like the local TT series at Fiesta Island and Tuesday Night Racing at the velodrome, both of which are unsanctioned. There are some USAC things that I'm excited about, but driving up to an industrial park in LA to get spanked by LA L3gion and other pro teams isn't one of them. OTOH, I can do M35+ this year and maybe I'll double up and race that race and then the last race (P/1/2) for training, since the pressure won't be on to perform for my teammates as much as previous years.

Last edited by TMonk; 04-10-21 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-10-21, 01:44 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Back to the training - I felt great today, I think it will be time for a new FTP test after next week's rest week. 4.25 hrs total today, with a few intervals:

3' at 133% (felt awesome, like I could do more)
10' at 106%
5' at 117%
race clinic - some decent hard pedalling during the race simulation but mostly easy
another 5' at 117% on the way home.

I have a wedding rehearsal dinner to attend tonight, big event tomorrow. I'll try to keep the drinking somewhat in control so I can get some time in position on the TT bike doing SST to cap off the week at around 900 TSS.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.