Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Italian City MTB Build - Which bars?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 03:15 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

So I'm building a city/urban/MTB bike out of my Torpado frame since I've now got the Wilier but I'm not sure which handlebars to go with. I'd like something a bit more comfortable but also something I can still ride 20-30 miles if I want to. I was going to just go with standard flat bars but now I'm thinking bullhorn. Any thoughts or info on these bars? I haven't really ridden them much, of course flat bars now and then in the past but never bullhorns.

What do you guys like for comfort and versatility? I've read a bunch about all kinds of bars but still unsure which way to go.

Many thanks for opinions, info, rants, hatred and love for any bars or even another bar type I haven't mentioned.

The frame is a road bike frame in the perfect road bike size for me so not sure if that matters. And I don't mind modern components as I'm not period correct when it comes to bikes; I prefer lighter parts that work.

The bike in question, early in the build. Probably will go Campy 10 speed but not sure on the shifters yet; either Campy flat bar shifters, Campy standard 10 speed shifters, or third party flat bar shifters that are compatible with Campy 10 speed derailleurs if there is such a thing?

Old 12-26-20, 05:36 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I'm going with MAP/Ahearne bars for my CSI single speed.

https://www.ahearnecycles.com/shop/ahearnemap-handlebar

Might be some ideas in this thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-distance.html
Old 12-26-20, 07:01 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Nitto North Roads. I had a pair on my PX-10 for a while before I put them on my daughter's fixie. Pretty awesome.
Old 12-27-20, 10:42 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Condorina bars are the most quintessentially Italian city bike bar!

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/condorina-bar
Old 12-27-20, 12:18 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I am finding the albatross bars very comfortable. I had been using north roads, but the albatross bars allow for at least one additional hand position.
Old 12-27-20, 12:54 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
These aren't really 'trekking' bars but what about something like the Scott AT-2 bars? The are ot too terribly wide, at least mine don't seem to be, and offer two hand positions

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-27-20, 01:09 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Condorina bars are the most quintessentially Italian city bike bar!

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/condorina-bar
Looks interesting. Thanks for the idea.

I wonder what brake levers would work with this one?
Old 12-27-20, 01:27 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I wonder what brake levers would work with this one?
I used some Dia Compe levers on mine.

https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com...gie-condorino/
Old 12-27-20, 05:49 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I used some Dia Compe levers on mine.

https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com...gie-condorino/
Thanks.

Nice bike.
Old 12-28-20, 04:55 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I built up my Motobecane Grand Jubilee in several versions...

This was the most comfortable for gentle around the cottage road rides...
Old 12-28-20, 04:35 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks to all for the suggestions and new ideas. Who knew there were so many different handlebars???

I'm leaning towards bullhorns because of a couple reasons. First, I think I can use more easily obtained Campy 10 speed brifters on them. I know it's not ideal but they should work without too much difficulty in reaching. I would mount them under the bars and at the ends. The only trouble will be routing the cables...
And then the other factor for bullhorn choice is that they allow a bit more aerodynamic posture than other upright bars. I've also read that bullhorn bars feel most like being on the hoods on drop bars which is where I like to be most of the time.
Also, they are narrow which allows better movement through traffic.

Of course, that narrowness won't help in calming the twitchiness on my Torpado so that's a downside. I guess I can always switch to less drastic bars if I don't like the bullhorns.

Any thoughts on bullhorn bars?

And finally, I love the look of a honey Brooks saddle but not a fan of the price or weight. I'll just keep my old San Marco saddle for now but I'll probably want something different as this San Marco is very hard and uncomfortable for me. How is the comfort of a Brooks, both new and used? Do they change much as they're broken in? I also like a San Marco Regal which can be found for much less money.

And thanks so much for all the suggestions, some pretty cool stuff in this thread that I didn't know existed. The condorina bar is pretty cool and unique.

Oh, and I think I'm going with a Cinelli Ant stem which is a short 60mm. I had a 100mm stem on this bike with drop bars but it was a bit of a reach for me. This frame is a 54 with 54cm seat tube and top tube. My Wilier is just a touch smaller with around 53cm for the top tube but that less than 1cm made a huge difference in comfort and sliding forward on the saddle that I was experiencing on the Torpado.
Old 12-29-20, 07:30 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by tNuvolari
And finally, I love the look of a honey Brooks saddle but not a fan of the price or weight. I'll just keep my old San Marco saddle for now but I'll probably want something different as this San Marco is very hard and uncomfortable for me. How is the comfort of a Brooks, both new and used? Do they change much as they're broken in? I also like a San Marco Regal which can be found for much less money.
Not sure if you are planning a sprung saddle or not, but my only new Brooks was a B67 in honey. It was fine right off the bat (ie not uncomfortable) but nothing special until one magical day that I was out for a ride and realized the saddle had just disappeared.....it completely didn't intrude on the ride in any way. That's when I knew it had broken in and its been my most comfortable saddle since. However that is on a full upright bar (northroads); A narrower unsprung Brooks (B15 Champion I think) that I got used is on another bike and almost as comfortable - that bike is still somewhat upright but a more sporting geometry. I think I lucked out that the previous owner had similar sitz bones to me as I haven't ridden it enough to break it in to my specific structure....but its pretty spot on. Finally I have an even narrower B17 on my drop bar bike which I bought used and is also pretty comfortable but I am at the point where drop bar is too hard on me so the discomfort if any of the saddle is outweighed by the discomfort of the drop bars.

Last edited by markk900; 12-29-20 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 07:46 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I built up my Motobecane Grand Jubilee in several versions...
randyjawa I did my Trek 600 -> IGH conversion first as a drop bar but then settled on those same bars....I like them in that they allow a certain amount of forward lean not present on the Nortthroad style bar....not a lot of miles yet on that bike.
Old 12-29-20, 07:53 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
WRT Brooks, it may be dependent on which one. The Pro is a thicker hide and takes longer, 600 mi, to break in. Others, like the Swallow are thin enough to be comfortable out of the box. Note that your position on the bike should dictate which saddle to use as your sit bones distance changes as you sit up.
You may also have a fit improvement opportunity wrt sliding forward, saddle position and stem length.