Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 03-01-21, 12:39 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you do it, get ready for a culture shock!
Probably. I did live in North Texas for a long time so I'm somewhat acquainted with your Southern proclivities

I do know that the SE is a bit of a different animal though.
Old 03-01-21, 12:43 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Both you and the bicycle are quasi-fat.
The camera adds 20lbs to your person and 5lbs to your bike. This is established science.

Also, pink?
Yes, I think it's quite fetching.

Why are you wearing a scarf?
It's a gaiter - a quasi-scarf to fend off the quasi-cold.
Old 03-01-21, 12:48 PM
WhyFi

Incorrect.
Incorrect, but I'll play along. Let's qualify your experience - in your listening sessions, that left you so unimpressed, can you name any of the following in the system?
  • Cartridge
  • Tonearm
  • Table
  • Phono stage
  • Source material
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your answer is, "wut."
Old 03-01-21, 12:49 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bampilot06
you look angry.

prolly cause you know it’s a wide body shot****
Resting ***** face.
Old 03-01-21, 12:49 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
We're leaning that way. To be honest I'm terrified, but maybe I'll get over that soon.
There's a lot of factors at play, and pluses and minuses to everywhere, but as far as cycling activities go, not even close. Although I do wish I had a flat route available for variety, riding that all the time would bore me to tears.
Correct. Quasi-South too.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's a gaiter - a quasi-scarf to fend off the quasi-cold.
In your case, actual cold.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 03-01-21, 12:52 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts
Probably. I did live in North Texas for a long time so I'm somewhat acquainted with your Southern proclivities

Greenville/Spartenburg/Anderson is nothing like Denton, TX or Rockford, IL. Much prettier than both, but a lot of other differences as well.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to pick a place to live today, the Carolinas would be high on my list.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-01-21, 12:52 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Incorrect, but I'll play along. Let's qualify your experience - in your listening sessions, that left you so unimpressed, can you name any of the following in the system?
  • Cartridge
  • Tonearm
  • Table
  • Phono stage
  • Source material
I (the family) had records when I was a young ute. Hard pass.
Old 03-01-21, 12:53 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
Whose finger??
Probably our best climber. But evidently that doesn't mean that his finger isn't too fat for photography.
Old 03-01-21, 12:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Up until 10 years ago my hair was curly. Then it changed, it's still has curl but not like it used to. When I Was in high school I could pick it into an afro, no problem. Now when I wake up in the morning I look like Einstein with brown hair.
These days when I wake up I look like Rick Sanchez....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 12:59 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
On the drywall thing. Most of what makes drywall sanding suckn is how the compound was applied. On a good hang, sanding is minimal really. Repair work on the other hand can get out if control easily.
Yeah I'm doing repair work. The house is settling pretty bad in one spot, cracking the walls there. Mom had someone spread some fresh mud there about 20 years ago when she had the kitchen redone. It cracked out again of course. So I cut out a 2x8' section above a big passageway and put in some 1/2" plywood I had on hand, but the existing drywall is 5/8 so had to build that up. Then I reinforced the wall running perpendicular to that, just by slapping 1/4" ply + 1/4" drywall on the wall perpendicular to the other. I was waiting for the wall with the passageway to crack right at the ends of the plywood, but I put that up months ago and so far so good.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 03-01-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 01:02 PM
WhyFi

I (the family) had beat up records and poor equipment when I was a young ute.
fify

What you're doing is similar to saying that all bikes are horrible because you've only ridden a discount store bike assembled by a part-time, minimum wage worker. While I'll readily admit that vinyl gives you a lot of opportunities to mess it up (condition of the record, inappropriately matched equipment, improper set-up, etc), if done with just a little bit of care, it's fan-freakin-tastic.
Old 03-01-21, 01:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Whose finger??
Probably our best climber. But evidently that doesn't mean that his finger isn't too fat for photography.
I used to carry a camera in a plastic bag. I took this picture not too far from home and held the bag in my left hand.
Old 03-01-21, 01:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

fify

What you're doing is similar to saying that all bikes are horrible because you've only ridden a discount store bike assembled by a part-time, minimum wage worker. While I'll readily admit that vinyl gives you a lot of opportunities to mess it up (condition of the record, inappropriately matched equipment, improper set-up, etc), if done with just a little bit of care, it's fan-freakin-tastic.
Just running a CD player through a tube pre-amp, with a good amp and speakers does it a world of good, too.

I fell out of the vinyl habit when the kids started walking and never got back into it. Now my 6 linear feet of albums are in the garage (which is actually the coolest room in the house, in summer), and Mrs. GeneJockey thinks the dustcover of the AR EB101 is where CD cases go.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 01:13 PM
big john

Next time I went up there I made sure to put the bag away from the lens.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-01-21, 01:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I watched some guy on YouTube descending what looked like pretty amazing roads in SoCal. He had a motorcyclist filming him, with overlays of the speed. I was simultaneously inspired, fascinated, and terrified, especially when he went into supertuck and got up to 57mph. Lordy.

Old 03-01-21, 01:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Just running a CD player through a tube pre-amp, with a good amp and speakers does it a world of good, too.

I fell out of the vinyl habit when the kids started walking and never got back into it. Now my 6 linear feet of albums are in the garage (which is actually the coolest room in the house, in summer), and Mrs. GeneJockey thinks the dustcover of the AR EB101 is where CD cases go.
I couldn't stand the sound of CDs when they first came out. Then when mp3s got big and so many were really crappy encodings, I thought CDs sounded just fine, of course my hearing was far more wrecked by then also.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-01-21, 01:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
Next time I went up there I made sure to put the bag away from the lens.
Better sans bag.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 01:16 PM
WhyFi

Yeah, speaking in generalities, I'm a big fan of tube preamps paired with solid state amps - it gives you a lot of the lovely qualities of tubes, but doesn't sacrifice the control, which is often a shortcoming of tube amps that aren't uber-expensive.
Old 03-01-21, 01:19 PM
WhyFi

I watched some guy on YouTube descending what looked like pretty amazing roads in SoCal. He had a motorcyclist filming him, with overlays of the speed. I was simultaneously inspired, fascinated, and terrified, especially when he went into supertuck and got up to 57mph. Lordy.
That SAFA guy? If so, he's often impressive, but I don't think he's long for this world.
Old 03-01-21, 01:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Yeah, speaking in generalities, I'm a big fan of tube preamps paired with solid state amps - it gives you a lot of the lovely qualities of tubes, but doesn't sacrifice the control, which is often a shortcoming of tube amps that aren't uber-expensive.
My speakers - Magneplanar 2.5rs from 1987 - benefit from a solid state amps ability to swing volts. I got a really nice system put together in my late 20s, and then, once it was complete, I let my subscription to Stereophile lapse.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-01-21, 01:22 PM
WhyFi

My speakers - Magneplanar 2.5rs from 1987 - benefit from a solid state amps ability to swing volts. I got a really nice system put together in my late 20s, and then, once it was complete, I let my subscription to Stereophile lapse.
Magnepan is one of a few hi-fi companies local to me. When I moved back here, I was thinking about contacting them about a job, but decided to live the life of homemaker leisure, instead.

Jumping off of the carousel, and not looking at any more reviews, once you get your system together isn't a bad idea.
Old 03-01-21, 01:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That SAFA guy? If so, he's often impressive, but I don't think he's long for this world.
Yeah, him. Freewheel sounds like a swarm of angry yellow jackets. I kept thinking how small an imperfection in the road and he'd be nothing but a long red smear on the road.

Old 03-01-21, 01:25 PM
big john

There is a video series called ""Descent Disciples" done on roads that I am familiar with. I don't like watching them, they are terrifying.

I worked with a guy who rode his skateboard on part of the road in my picture above. He hit some gravel and fell off but only got road rash and bruising, could have been worse as he wasn't wearing enough gear. Some of the "street luge" guys I see wear leathers and full moto gear.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-01-21, 01:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by big john
There is a video series called ""Descent Disciples" done on roads that I am familiar with. I don't like watching them, they are terrifying.

I worked with a guy who rode his skateboard on part of the road in my picture above. He hit some gravel and fell off but only got road rash and bruising, could have been worse as he wasn't wearing enough gear. Some of the "street luge" guys I see wear leathers and full moto gear.
It's the same guy. I can't say it made me want to try doing anything like that. Yesterday's ride there was a fairly constant East wind, which on a couple of descents caused just the slightest hint of a wobble, so I shaved about 5 mph off most of them, even though the Ritchey is generally stable as a rock - I've had it up to 45mph with no issue.

Old 03-01-21, 01:34 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11891 Post(s)
Liked 6,486 Times in 3,415 Posts
  • Cartridge
  • Tonearm
  • Table
  • Phono stage
  • Source material
I'm sure he knows where the table is, although not as well as some others do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.