Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Pedal Dust Cap

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-25-21, 02:03 PM
chefdurfee

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10, Special CNC, Rivendell All Rounder and Riv Roadini, Bridgestone T700, Bridgestone XO-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

I have lost the dust cap on a Campy Gran Sport pedal. I ordered a replacement off eBay, which (surprisingly) turned out to be plastic...the original is metal. Either way, the plastic one does not thread properly. So, as I continue to look for one that fits, how should I narrow my search? A few threads here mention that other brands might fit (Zeus, MKS, etc)...I'd prefer a single (don't need a pair), mostly I just need one that fits! Thanks
Old 03-25-21, 06:48 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by chefdurfee
I have lost the dust cap on a Campy Gran Sport pedal. I ordered a replacement off eBay, which (surprisingly) turned out to be plastic...the original is metal. Either way, the plastic one does not thread properly. So, as I continue to look for one that fits, how should I narrow my search? A few threads here mention that other brands might fit (Zeus, MKS, etc)...I'd prefer a single (don't need a pair), mostly I just need one that fits! Thanks
I know what happened!! The plastic pedal cap is Campy Nuovo Gran sport. Sounds the same, but very different. I have an extra plastic cap lying around in my bin.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-25-21, 07:44 PM
MKahrl

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Those darn caps were the only part of the superbly engineered Campy pedal that broke, wore out, fell off, or got stolen. By the 1980s they were already getting scarce and more expensive. Someone stole two from my locked bicycle while I was dropping off film to be developed. Man, the steamed me.

Now I use generic dustcaps and save the Campy caps for attending church.
Old 03-26-21, 03:48 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Originally Posted by MKahrl
Those darn caps were the only part of the superbly engineered Campy pedal that broke, wore out, fell off, or got stolen.
These pedals - the NR/GS and MKS clones all have a design flaw - the pedal body is insufficiently proud of the dustcaps' edge, and especially when ridden with soft-soled shoes the action of inserting/removing one's foot can cause the cap to unscrew. Ofmega used a better method - a snap-in circumferential ridge and a central setscrew to bear against the spindle end when you want the cap to come off.

And the MKS cap fits the GS pedal, I just checked.
Old 03-26-21, 07:53 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Double check the fairness of the pedal threads.
Old 03-26-21, 08:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I think the early Campy pedals had chrome plated steel caps and the Superleggeri and the later generation Grand Sport were plastic. If you have the tool for tightening them they stay put, unless someone steals them , another reason I don't like letting my bike(s) out of my sight!