Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Need to Replace Dumb Mag-Trainer, Seeking Opinions

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 04-03-21, 01:16 PM
Jon A.

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I am a 48 y.o. 255lb Clyde trying to use cycling, calorie deficit (food tracking through MyFitnessPal), and moderate strength training (dumbbell workouts, crunches) to lose weight and get in shape so that I can keep up with my wife and 6 y.o. twin girls. I have lost about 10 lbs. in less than a month and am eager to continue my progress. I have been using my 2018 Cannondale Quick 4 on a used Mag Turbo Trainer to do half hour spin classes on YouTube through my laptop 4 nights/week. I added Wahoo Speed and Cadence sensors to the bike and use the Wahoo App on my iPhone to get the data into MFP. I could also use it for Zwift but haven't figured that out yet. I live in a very hilly area. I have been for one ride outside and it was very humbling (a LOT harder than using the trainer). I was planning on using the trainer a little longer to get in better shape before taking the bike outside.

My plan was to use the old Mag Trainer until I was sure I was going to continue down this path and then replace it with a smart trainer (or maybe a spin bike) in the fall. I was also thinking about buying a hardtail MTB to shake up my exercise. Unfortunately, the Mag Trainer broke last night (various bits of plastic were found on the floor). I am sure it is not worth trying to repair the trainer (it wasn't very good to start with).

So... my question is, based on my goals, what would you recommend I replace the trainer with?

I don't want to spend much money (who does?) but also believe in the adage "you never regret buying a quality tool". I have read a lot of posts here and am intrigued by direct drive trainers. I don't like the idea of swapping out training tires for road tires and my tire is getting pretty worn, That said $700++ seems a bit steep (I'd rather put the $$ towards a MTB). There are two ~$300 direct drive trainers on Amazon that are intriguing. I know they are not name brand but they look decent enough.

ThinkRider A1 Bike Trainer

Magene T100 Direct Drive Bike Turbo Trainer

(Sorry... I have too few posts to include a link)
Does anyone have any experience with either of the above trainers? They do not have smart resistance (or whatever that is called on Zwift) but I don't mind changing gears to adjust resistance (unless I don't know what I am missing). Would I be better off with a name-brand wheel-on smart trainer, biting the bullet and spending the money on a name-brand smart direct drive, or just getting the MTB for now and going outside? I think I am shying away from a spin bike,,, I kind of like being on the Cannondale. I also think I have ruled out the cheapest option... getting another used/dumb trainer as I would want to replace it right away.

Thanks in advance for the help. (I have no affiliation with either of the products linked above.... for all I know they are junk!!)

Jon A.
Old 04-03-21, 06:59 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
the think rider is made in china and looks to be completely chinese. not that there is anything wrong with that, after all, my wife was made in china. however, you get what you pay for. personally i woul dnot go this route. i would also be a bit worried about support.

https://www.thinkriderfitness.com/pr...-power-trainer

your other choice actually has a zwift review. i did not read it. it looks like it needs a cassette so you'll be buying one of those too. and strangly it takes batteries.

https://magenefitness.com/product_t100.html
https://zwiftinsider.com/smart-trainer/magene-t100/

i think both of these are just resistance like a fluid type.

were i you and on a budget i'd stick with a mtn bike if you have off roading near by. or a road bike if you have roads, everyone has roads. i got back on the bike because i needed to buy pants with a waist size that i decided was unacceptable. i am now 140ish (wet). i ride road and used to ride mtn until my mtn bike totally broke. i do miss it.

i have a direct drive with smarts so it is really nice in zwift or rgt (the only two i've tried aside from my own program).

there is nothign wrong with a wheel on trainer. i started out with a computrainer at a bike shop 2 days a week and i was sold on the idea. you can save a crappy tire once you wear one out and put it on for the crappy season and wear that down to the cords. you do not need a trainer tire, total waste of money in my opinion. if you do go with a mtn bike i suspect you will want a slick tire though, i think the knobs will make it pretty loud.

also, i bought my trainer (kicker) during the summer and it was a previous year model, so saved about $250 compared to new at the time. these days they are a bit hotter becasue of covid but with that winding down (cross fingers) i think demand will dwindle a bit. wiht that in mind keep your eyes peeled for something on craigs list or check out ebay from time to time. they are heavy so shipping won't be cheap. i have seen a tacx locally for about $700 on CL.

good luck and take your time but not so much that you lose interest. remember the twins.
Old 04-06-21, 04:14 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I offer a different choice, if money is tight. I bought a used Kurt Kinetic Road machine. It's a fluid resistance trainer, advantage to this over a magnetic trainer, the resistance changes with your effort. And is quieter than a mag trainer. Then I added the Kurt iNRide sensor that pairs well with Zwift. I call it my HalfSmart trainer. It provides power data for Zwift, but isn't controlled by Zwift. Pre-Pandemic, I got the used trainer for $90, and the sensor for $50 on Amazon. With this set up, you can use your phone or tablet and the Kurt Kinetic app for all your ride info. Or, use your phone or tablet for the Zwift app. I use the Zwift app on my laptop, and then use the Zwift companion on my phone or tablet. I went the extra step to connect my laptop to a big TV, and I ran network cable to my laptop. If you use a laptop, add a ANT+ USB dongle.

Last edited by zjrog; 04-06-21 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 11:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I can also recommend the Kinetic. Power readout is very close to my Stages PM when the Kinetic is warmed up and calibrated. Easy and inexpensive way to get on Zwift, Trainerroad, Sufferfest, what have you.
Likes For caloso: