Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding Against Traffic

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Riding Against Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 05:59 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Riding Against Traffic

My Data Recorder "Black Box" caught this yesterday, fortunately, I was able to swerve onto a driveway apron. The camera takes a picture once every five seconds, and it saw the "salmon" before I did:
Salmon Cyclist by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

I'm Not sure if "salmon"is the correct term, as spawning salmon (the eponymous fish) go uphill , while this fool is going downhill at about 28mph.

And when I Googled the term , I get brake pads :
Kool-Stop Salmon Linear Pull Brake Pads > Components > Brakes & Shifters > Brake Pads | Jenson USA

Good, because you're going to need them !

Who else remembers when wrong way cyclists were called salmon ?
I must be getting old.
Old 09-19-17, 06:07 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think they still are called salmon, since I've learned that term on this site. Not salmon for riding uphill, but salmon for riding upstream, or against traffic.
Old 09-19-17, 07:17 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
I still call it that.. But more often than not the people doing it are not what I'd call cyclist.
Old 09-19-17, 07:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
I still call it that.. But more often than not the people doing it are not what I'd call cyclist.
No, more like not at all bright.
Old 09-19-17, 07:58 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Sure he wasn't overtaking the black car? I am surprised you didn't see him long before that pic was taken.
Old 09-19-17, 08:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
..... I am surprised you didn't see him long before that pic was taken.
+1

I understand youwere climbing and probably figured a low risk of hitting anything, but still.....

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-19-17, 09:00 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
There was a wrong way woman rider killed in LA a few days ago by a hit and run driver. Surveillance video showed the car turning right out of a commercial driveway, hitting bike coming on the immediate right (wrong way). Driver took off, was later caught. Who looks right when turning right out of a driveway, and merging with incoming traffic from the left? I know you are supposed to, you're also supposed to be riding with traffic flow. LA seems to be trying to be the world leader in hit - runs. Why make it easier for them by riding stupid?
Old 09-19-17, 09:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Was he passing the black car?

I encounter a LOT of wrong-way riders, usually in the street-side bike paths. Maybe 10% of the riders I pass? And, they frequently seem to know they're going in the wrong lane because I hear the occasional "sorry".

Wrong way riders still surprise me a bit, as it doubles the closing speed one would ordinarily get for "road hazards" ahead.

I do think there is the occasional reason to go maybe 1 block in the wrong direction (on the sidwalk?), for example when one has just made a turn and can't get across, or one is planning on stopping on the left side of the road just ahead. But, the riders I encounter seem to be going for quite some distance against traffic.
Old 09-20-17, 04:48 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I do think there is the occasional reason to go maybe 1 block in the wrong direction (on the sidwalk?), for example when one has just made a turn and can't get across, or one is planning on stopping on the left side of the road just ahead. But, the riders I encounter seem to be going for quite some distance against traffic.
There is one spot where I occasionally salmon the shoulder of a 45mph highway for two blocks, simply because both ends of the trip are on the left. Never met a right-way cyclist during any of those, but if I did I'd either take the traffic lane (the road is straight there, and level enough to see if it will be clear long enough) or stop at the edge of the pavement to let them past.

A few places on city streets I generally won't fault the ones who ride wrong-side when there's no traffic, as on some of those one side is much smoother than the other.

Either way, do it with an attitude of "I'm doing something at least questionable, so I need to yield immediately to anyone using the roadway correctly."
Old 09-20-17, 07:39 AM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Sure he wasn't overtaking the black car?
If he was he was:
a) riding an awfully long way out
and
b) still leaning away from the car, some distance after he'd passed it.

Unlikely, I'd say.
Old 09-20-17, 09:02 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live just off a major university campus, with a main uni road that connects the two campuses. Road is two lanes (one each way) with a moderately wide bike lane and then a very wide, double-wide sidewalk. Joggers have even beaten a dirt path into the sidewalk where the grass used to grow, trying to save their knees.

Here is a species I want someone to explain: rather than using the wonderfully wide, dedicated sidewalk some joggers choose to run in the bike lane. Some even choose to run in the bike lane...going the wrong way. I scratch my head in amazement. They've been given this amazing sidewalk, wide, dedicated, not that busy...and they choose to run in the road, in the painted-off bike lane. I'm at a loss when I see these people.
Old 09-20-17, 09:49 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Who else remembers when wrong way cyclists were called salmon ?

I must be getting old.
First, some see a salmon, but others see someone who NEVER RIDES IN THE DOOR ZONE!

Second, BikeSnobNYC coined the term, NSFW(?) warning since bad words.

Originally Posted by nayr497
I live just off a major university campus, with a main uni road that connects the two campuses. Road is two lanes (one each way) with a moderately wide bike lane and then a very wide, double-wide sidewalk. Joggers have even beaten a dirt path into the sidewalk where the grass used to grow, trying to save their knees.

Here is a species I want someone to explain: rather than using the wonderfully wide, dedicated sidewalk some joggers choose to run in the bike lane. Some even choose to run in the bike lane...going the wrong way. I scratch my head in amazement. They've been given this amazing sidewalk, wide, dedicated, not that busy...and they choose to run in the road, in the painted-off bike lane. I'm at a loss when I see these people.
Well, some runners have knee problems, some have ankle problems. If you have knee problems, you avoid the sidewalk and the road and run on the dirt path. If you have ankle problems, you avoid the dirt path, but still would rather run on the "soft" road rather than the hard cement.

Around here, the third reason is looking for a surface, any surface, without snow/ice in the run up to the marathon. One runner running against traffic in the bike lane was screaming BIKE LANE! BIKE LANE! at the driver driving their car in the bike lane. Clearly the runner needed an AirZound.

-mr. bill
Old 09-20-17, 10:08 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
They exist. I was behind a car coming home last night on a 50MPH road, who abruptly jerked to the left. Soon as he moved over, I saw the blinky coming towards me. Not too bright (the intelligence of the cyclist, the light itself was plenty bright).
Old 09-20-17, 10:20 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Yes, the black car was going faster than the cyclist. But I did not expect the salmon, I had less than 2 seconds to react. Lucky even the camera took the picture at that moment... ahh, I also cropped the photo...
Old 09-20-17, 03:15 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
Around here we have nice sawdust paths... but they aren't for everyone. And that is OK.

It can be handy to have joggers going in the same direction as the cyclists. I'll frequently pull behind a jogger until the path ahead clears enough to safely pass.

I suppose that is the problem with the wrong-way cyclists. There is no way to adjust one's speed to avoid them. One has to either stop, or quickly find a way to safely pass.