Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cycle Lanes from a law perspective

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-12-18, 02:58 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wanted to ask what people know of the legal standpoint of cycle lanes in the UK. I commute to work on a well lit public main road which is fully equipped with cycle lanes. I do everything I can to respect other road users and I do drive myself occasionally (as much as a wish I could cycle all the time), my bike is fitted with flashing LED lights on the front and back and I wear a high-visibility jersey and bag cover.

However in the last week, I have had 3 motorists pull out on me and cause very near misses and I'm now starting to feel unsafe and that people simply don't give a s*** about the cycle lanes.

After some harrassment from a motorist yesterday (each of these cases have been captured on my helmet camera) who pulled out on the cycle lane, admitted that they saw me and then said that I should have stopped for him anyway as the car stuck in traffic before a KEEP CLEAR section of the road did.

So my question is:
Is there actually any legislation that gives cyclists a right of way when using a cycle lane? Or is it just simply advised that cyclists use them and other motorists are courteous of those using it?

Last edited by RicePudding; 10-12-18 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 08:44 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Rule 170 says the person driving the motorcar was wrong.

Rule 147 says you were wrong.

Trumping all other rules is don’t throw your toys out of the pram.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-12-18 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 09:21 AM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
There are 2 types of cycle lane in the UK: mandatory and discretionary. Motor vehicles are not allowed in mandatory lanes (demarcated with a solid white line, but discretionary lanes (marked with a broken white line) can be used. Rule 140 says what drivers should do:
"Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.Law RTRA sects 5 & 8
Note: While the Highway Code rules are largely for guidance about best(safest practice), where it uses the words "Must/must not" these rules are the law.

Not sure how Mr. Bill has concluded that the OP has not abided by rule 147 - perhaps you could let us know?
Old 10-12-18, 09:22 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
In Milton Keynes our cycle lanes are all away from the roads, but we have to give way where a cycle lane and road meet - and there are markings on the cycle lane (and yellow posts) to indicate that road traffic has right of way. This is always the case, even if a cycle lane crosses at a junction, or spot where road traffic has to stop to give way - which can be annoying when there's a vehicle just sat stationary, blocking your path!

But, you know, first-world problems. Bikes will have to negotiate around motor vehicles. We've had this system since the new town was rubber stamped in 1967 and it works well.

You could say the car was causing an obstruction, but it's just not gonna be universally safe for vehicles to work ar pound cycles. You can't trust them. Wait until it's safe.
Old 10-13-18, 06:02 AM
RicePudding

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR GX 1 (2018), Giant Talon 2 (2010, RIP)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way that I read Rule 147 is that it basically disregards all the other rules and says "just be nice". I was considerate, it was the motorist who retaliated in an aggressive manner.

I didn't have the chance to slow down and hold back for the them as I had to either slam the breaks or end up under their bumper.
Old 10-13-18, 07:41 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Just remember to be considerate as you slide under the bumper... perhaps you can wipe some soot off the undercarriage as you go by.