Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Build them and they will come (possibly)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-26-19, 11:58 AM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...cycle-counters

By the way, the Leeds Bradford route referred to is hilly
Old 04-26-19, 12:24 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
It's nice to see that in places outside of U.S. and Canada that cycling is alive and well, and thriving. Colour me green with envy.
Old 04-27-19, 05:04 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
We have a few Bike paths and Bike Lanes in my area. I use the very nice Bike Path (2 lane) to commute.
All the real cycle traffic around here, however, is on the rail trails.

Americans still see cycling as a pastime. Which is pretty silly really. There are so many times when it is faster and easier (and more fun) to bike somewhere. We'll need more infrastructure than just paths and lanes; we'll need places to store bikes (like actual bike garages or bike lockers) with security.
Old 04-27-19, 08:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by ironnerd
We'll need more infrastructure than just paths and lanes; we'll need places to store bikes (like actual bike garages or bike lockers) with security.
Some areas have tried this, with bike lockers and showers for employees who cycle to work. it is a lot of expense for a small business and not many small businesses have room. Some large facilities can set aside space if they choose tom, probably.

Having proper facilities like lockers, secure lock-ups, and sanitation makes things a lot easier for riders.

Not sure if that increases the number of people who want to ride to work though.
Old 04-28-19, 06:23 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
As the OP said, "Build it and they will come (possibly)"

I work for a ... large company. Our parking lots are patrolled by armed guards. We do have showers (but I find being sweaty gets me out of a lot of pointless meetings). On a good day, I'll see a half-dozen bicycles on the racks. The guy who parks next to me on the rack rides a pretty nice composite bike and leaves all the lights and computers on it when he goes in. It has yet to disappear, so I guess bike security is not the issue.

Kind of a chicken / egg thing. Do the bike-friendly facilities come first, or people who wanna ride a bike to work? My money is on the latter.

One promising sign is that the city has started to install bike stations. Bike pump, a place to hang your bike and some park tools for quick repairs. We also have them at some train stations. I guess they are testing the waters. The new plan for the city does include more bike trails, but Smyrna is just a little piece of the Atlanta Metro.

Last edited by ironnerd; 04-28-19 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 06:05 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Do countries that have large numbers of bike commuters have lockers and shower facilities?
Old 04-29-19, 07:22 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Meh, us riders and commuters will always be in the minority, we may as well get used to it. And as a minority you'll be pushed around and get plenty of hate. I wouldn't have it any other way.

In fact, if serious bicycling suddenly became the latest fad among "regular folk", I would probably find another hobby.
Old 04-29-19, 10:46 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Luckily where I work, we have showers and lockers. I keep my work clothes in the locker and try to do 20 miles on the way into work.