Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 06:40 PM
areyes163

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are sharp looking bikes you got there. Congrats
Old 02-27-20, 08:07 PM
Londonsworld 

Bikes: 71 American Eagle Olympiad, 03 Trek 5200 P1, 2013 Trek 6 series Domane, 83 Apollo branded Kuwahara, 78 Trek TX 300, 73 Nishiki Intl. 86 Nishiki Prestige, Nishiki Olympic, 72 and 73 Nishiki Safari', two-speed Electra BMX cruiser 1, 87 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 38 Posts
FX LTD NIB Decision

Not sure If I should build or send down the road. I am running out of room ;-( Maybe I'll keep and send my 1980 412 down the road....I clearly need more room for bikes ;-)
Likes For Londonsworld:
Old 02-28-20, 12:40 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
That's a beautiful bike, that FX LTD!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-13-20, 03:41 PM
SayWatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Kinda disappointed in the 2020 fx-3 disc so far. The bike is ultra comfortable and rides nice, but I’m not mechanically inclined and it’s just constantly needed to go to the shop. I’ve had to take it in for BB, rear wheel hub, multiple spokes, Multiple chains, replaced cassette, So disappointing, I was really thinking it was going to be more sturdy than a sleek racing style bike. Is it normal for a 7 month old bike to have to constantly be worked on?
Old 04-13-20, 03:58 PM
cloemans

Bikes: Zenith Calea CMP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SayWatt
Kinda disappointed in the 2020 fx-3 disc so far. The bike is ultra comfortable and rides nice, but I’m not mechanically inclined and it’s just constantly needed to go to the shop. I’ve had to take it in for BB, rear wheel hub, multiple spokes, Multiple chains, replaced cassette, So disappointing, I was really thinking it was going to be more sturdy than a sleek racing style bike. Is it normal for a 7 month old bike to have to constantly be worked on?
What is BB ?
Old 04-13-20, 06:47 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by cloemans
What is BB ?
Bottom Bracket
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-13-20, 06:56 PM
hokiefyd 

Is it normal for a 7 month old bike to have to constantly be worked on?
No, it's not normal. Needing a few tweaks here and there (like re-torqing the bottom bracket cartridge) is not unexpected, but so many parts replacements generally are not. I have a 2018 Giant Roam, and that one needed a bottom bracket re-torque and it also had a new wheel, though it was really only the freehub that was making noise. It sounded dry and crunchy, and I took it to the shop and they said that Giant would probably just send a new wheel vs. paying the shop labor to replace the freehub body. Indeed they did -- the new wheel came with a freehub and brake disc already on it, so all the shop did was swap the tire/tube over and my cassette. Other than that, I've put about 600 miles on that bike and it's been fine.

Going through things like "multiple chains" suggests something else may be going on. Chains are almost universally good these days. Why are you going through so many chains? What has the shop's diagnosis been on these things? They just chalk it up to poor quality in the replacement parts? Also -- if you needed a rear hub, did Trek actually pay the shop to replace the hub and re-lace the wheel...or did they send a new wheel? I'd be super surprised if they paid shop labor to re-lace a wheel.
Old 04-19-20, 10:49 PM
bacampbe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many miles do you have on it? Do you ride it off-road? Have you crashed it?

My FXS4 has been in service for about 2 years. I broke a chain a little after a year (about a half-mile from the LBS). A couple of flats. Otherwise I've had no trouble. Strava thinks I have a little over 2100 miles on it, almost all roads or paved paths. Occasionally the paths have been a bit wet and/or covered in mud. I've had a couple of low-impact falls (both due to mud), with no damage to the bike.

I'm a pretty big guy, so I'm sure I put some stress on it even though my mileage may not be all that high.
Likes For bacampbe:
Old 04-26-20, 06:50 PM
SteveD51

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pretty much my experience. Never really owned a quality bike. Test rode the FX 3 and thought it was just great. Looked at the 6 with its $2100 price tag and only 3 lbs lighter and said, 'no way'. The dealer said try the 6, you won't believe the difference and you'll regret your decision if you get the 6. It's not about weight, it's about ride comfort. If you plan to ride the bike for 10 years the extra cost is $130 a year. He was right...I got the 6 and am riding about 100 miles a week and loving the buttery smooth ride and loving what it's doing for my physical and mental health.
Likes For SteveD51:
Old 04-27-20, 10:08 AM
simonsez

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wondering if anyone has seen or driven the new 2021 FX Sport Carbon 4.

1x11 Shimano GRX, it's also cheaper than the FX Sport 5 and comes in lighter as well at a smidge over 21 lbs.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark
Old 04-27-20, 09:54 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by simonsez
Wondering if anyone has seen or driven the new 2021 FX Sport Carbon 4.

1x11 Shimano GRX, it's also cheaper than the FX Sport 5 and comes in lighter as well at a smidge over 21 lbs.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark
I did not know the 2021's were out. I guess I have some research to do.
Old 04-27-20, 09:59 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Something's really not right here. What did the shop say was the cause? If in fact all those things were happening and there was no good reason, I would be talking to that shop and Trek about a replacement.
Old 05-09-20, 04:30 PM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Have owned a 2021 FX-4 Carbon for about a week. Have just got back into biking after a two decade hiatus, and my previous bike was a $25 Goodwill steel road bike freshened up for about $150 back in 1999 when I was a graduate student.

So the FX is my first quality bike and love it. It is fast, nimble, and light. Been riding almost every day with my wife and today we did a 22 mile on city bike paths. Very happy with the purchase. Would post a photo, but this is my first message here and I can't upload it.
Likes For koenbro:
Old 05-09-20, 04:34 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro
owned a 2021 FX-4 Carbon for about a week... my previous bike was a $25 Goodwill steel road bike freshened up for about $150 back in 1999... the FX is my first quality bike
No. The FX is your second quality bike.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 05-09-20, 06:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro
Have owned a 2021 FX-4 Carbon for about a week. Have just got back into biking after a two decade hiatus, and my previous bike was a $25 Goodwill steel road bike freshened up for about $150 back in 1999 when I was a graduate student.

So the FX is my first quality bike and love it. It is fast, nimble, and light. Been riding almost every day with my wife and today we did a 22 mile on city bike paths. Very happy with the purchase. Would post a photo, but this is my first message here and I can't upload it.
cool what size tires come in those? 32mm?
Old 05-09-20, 06:21 PM
koenbro 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cool what size tires come in those? 32mm?

yes 32mm
Old 05-09-20, 06:23 PM
koenbro 

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
No. The FX is your second quality bike.
Haha yes it’s the second one I’ve enjoyed!
Old 05-14-20, 11:19 AM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Howdy

While I am new to this thread (and very excited to have discovered the forum and this specific thread), I am not new to bikes. Of course, everything is relative. I have ridden bikes in two phases of my life. The first as a fledgling and the second as a so-called-adult … with a big gap in between for college and young family-life.

After looking at this forum a couple of times over the years for different purposes (e.g. getting feedback on how to service my wheel hubs, headset, change cassette, chains, etc), for some reason, this time, I did a search for “FX.” I couldn’t believe what I had stumbled on to … the OFFICIAL TREK FX THREAD! Very cool. I had so much fun seeing all the conversations, thoughts and stories of the persons that have mounted this bike (or considered mounting this bike). To put it into perspective, I read or skimmed the 1717 postings (at time of this posting) on this thread. Love it! We belong to a very neat club!

I’ve been riding (again) since 2010 when two things happened. The first, my Dad won this 7.3 at a charity silent auction. I don’t know how much he bid … but he did and he walked away with a sparkly new bike. I’m positive he would have loved to hold on to it, but the fact is he is 6’-3” and I’m 5’-10” … same genetics, but not same frame-size. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure he ever “officially” gave me the bike … but at this point, the bike is mine! The second event ... I discovered my “golden passage” to work. Depending on the route du jour, my commute takes me along 20 to 25 miles (one-way) of heart-pounding bliss. What a ride … I’ll have to share my route and experiences in a different posting! I come home with a smile on my face! :-)

Since my gift and my discovery, I moved from my mountain bike (no brand) to my Trek 7.3. I have abused my 7.3 for approximately 20000 miles (in round numbers, about 1000/year for the first five years and 2500/year since), I’ve wrecked several times, run into two cars (one moving and one parked), lost consciousness (once), had near misses with mammals, reptiles, insects and birds, been yelled at a few times (mainly by the mammals), had dozens of flats, four sets of wheels, multiple chains and cassettes, introduced my girls to riding and had thousands of miles of fantastic tailwinds and headwinds.

With that, I leave you (for the time being) … I need to figure out my next repair(s)!

Last edited by takozukuri; 05-22-20 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For takozukuri:
Old 05-29-20, 07:56 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by takozukuri
While I am new to this thread (and very excited to have discovered the forum and this specific thread), I am not new to bikes. Of course, everything is relative. I have ridden bikes in two phases of my life. The first as a fledgling and the second as a so-called-adult … with a big gap in between for college and young family-life.

After looking at this forum a couple of times over the years for different purposes (e.g. getting feedback on how to service my wheel hubs, headset, change cassette, chains, etc), for some reason, this time, I did a search for “FX.” I couldn’t believe what I had stumbled on to … the OFFICIAL TREK FX THREAD! Very cool. I had so much fun seeing all the conversations, thoughts and stories of the persons that have mounted this bike (or considered mounting this bike). To put it into perspective, I read or skimmed the 1717 postings (at time of this posting) on this thread. Love it! We belong to a very neat club!

I’ve been riding (again) since 2010 when two things happened. The first, my Dad won this 7.3 at a charity silent auction. I don’t know how much he bid … but he did and he walked away with a sparkly new bike. I’m positive he would have loved to hold on to it, but the fact is he is 6’-3” and I’m 5’-10” … same genetics, but not same frame-size. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure he ever “officially” gave me the bike … but at this point, the bike is mine! The second event ... I discovered my “golden passage” to work. Depending on the route du jour, my commute takes me along 20 to 25 miles (one-way) of heart-pounding bliss. What a ride … I’ll have to share my route and experiences in a different posting! I come home with a smile on my face! :-)

Since my gift and my discovery, I moved from my mountain bike (no brand) to my Trek 7.3. I have abused my 7.3 for approximately 20000 miles (in round numbers, about 1000/year for the first five years and 2500/year since), I’ve wrecked several times, run into two cars (one moving and one parked), lost consciousness (once), had near misses with mammals, reptiles, insects and birds, been yelled at a few times (mainly by the mammals), had dozens of flats, four sets of wheels, multiple chains and cassettes, introduced my girls to riding and had thousands of miles of fantastic tailwinds and headwinds.

With that, I leave you (for the time being) … I need to figure out my next repair(s)!

Welcome to the thread! I am so happy to see an older FX that's been used and abused and still looks amazing. There is something satisfying about using something for a long time and taking good care of it. I'm glad you're still enjoying the bike. Have you figured out what the next repair/upgrade is going to be? and im curious: which wheelsets have you gone through?

I dont ride often, unfortunately, but when i do, i ride on smooth and clean paved streets. I've been running 25mm tires on my fx which has made it super quick and im debating going to lighter wheels as well. Just wondering which wheels you went with and your opinion/experience with them. Hope you're well!
Old 05-29-20, 08:34 AM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by denada
^interested to hear what you think of that after a couple months. you ride in the city? sounds like it could be great for safety, but i'm concerned it would just constantly be saying there's a car behind you.
The Varia radar works very well. I use it when riding around my neighborhood streets, so not a lot of cars. However, when there is a car behind me, it's extremely accurate. I live in and around cul-de-sacs, so there are a lot of curves and it's not always easy to see or hear cars behind me. It just adds some extra security and peace of mind.

Garmin just released two updated versions of the Varia radar. The RTL515 model is nearly identical to mine ... the main difference being the addition of
BLE. The RVR315 model is smaller (and $50 cheaper) and doesn't include the tail light.

I'm still loving my FX Sport 4!
Old 05-29-20, 12:17 PM
urbanOrange

Bikes: 2020 Trek FX Sport 4, 2014 Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I recently bought the Bontrager Race Lite Ergo Bar Ends so that I can switch up my hand positions on longer distance rides.

Likes For urbanOrange:
Old 05-30-20, 09:18 AM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Hi gang, I posted this in the hybrid bikes thread before seeing this thread, so please allow me to copy it to the 'proper' thread...

After a three year hiatus from cycling due to getting married again and moving into an apartment, and suffering from serious withdrawals, I decided the time was right to take the plunge again and get another bike. The current situation with the Corona virus has created an environment where COVID 19 has many spending time away from work and wanting to get out and exercise because all the gyms are closed. This has made bicycle sales skyrocket where I live and I realized that if I was going to get a bike I'd better jump on something before they were all gone. I had my sights set on two bikes, the Specialized Sirrus X 2.0 and the Trek FX2 disc. Due to the incredible demand for bikes around here there were none of these left in my size, but there was a couple Trek FX1 discs left at one of my favorite LBS's and I decided to get one of them. The frame is identical to the FX2 but the components are mostly entry level, so I will gradually upgrade some of the more important items over time. I've already changed the grips to Ergon GP2's and pedals from the crappy stock ones to Shimano PD-T421's which are a dual sided SPD pedal, I still have the bike shoes with the clips to wear with these, I always knew I would be back on a bike eventually and kept all my bike gear.

So I am back on a bike and back on Bike Forums, let the fun and enjoyment begin!!

cheers,

Lorne Miller
Old 05-30-20, 11:25 AM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
Welcome to the thread! I am so happy to see an older FX that's been used and abused and still looks amazing. There is something satisfying about using something for a long time and taking good care of it. I'm glad you're still enjoying the bike. Have you figured out what the next repair/upgrade is going to be? and im curious: which wheelsets have you gone through?

I dont ride often, unfortunately, but when i do, i ride on smooth and clean paved streets. I've been running 25mm tires on my fx which has made it super quick and im debating going to lighter wheels as well. Just wondering which wheels you went with and your opinion/experience with them. Hope you're well!
Bike looked good only because it was right out of the bath tub. It was short-lived.

Next upgrade will be bottom bracket replacement and crankset change from triple to single (or double).

Wheels will go after. Just had rear wheel serviced (three new spokes and truing) because busted spoke. Shop told me they won't service this wheel again.

In terms of wheels ... I had the Bontrager Nebula wheels that were original to the machine. Had crash that bent rim irreparably... wanted to update anyway. Moved to first pair of Shimano WH-RS10. Good experience ... can't remember why I retired those tires*. Next went to Mavic (Cosmic Elite) until had rim issue. It was going to cost too much to repair so decided to part ways. I loved those wheels**. So bought second pair of Shimano RS10 (current).

I have tried different tire sizes over the years and have gravitated to 700x28c.

I think I'm tough on bike and wheels (gravel rides, occasional tree root, bunny hops, wheelie practice) ... definitely don't keep wheels on the ground. I only say this because all of the wheels have treated me very well. And I am thankful for that! :-)

Maybe next wheels will not have "proprietary" spokes?

* After thinking about it for a while, I realized that the rear tire is still with bike shop in town ... I think they said they needed to order bearings ... and it was going to take a few weeks. So to keep riding I ended up pulling an old set of Mavics from previous road bike.

** I still have the Mavics and was planning on repairing. Went to Mavic website ... seems that they no longer support this wheel vintage.
Likes For takozukuri:
Old 06-09-20, 07:19 AM
Danno85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbanOrange
I recently bought the Bontrager Race Lite Ergo Bar Ends so that I can switch up my hand positions on longer distance rides.
How do you like those bar ends? I just recently starting bike riding and bought a 2020 FX 3 disc and it has been great. Only complaints are 1. the seat (but that may be my untrained rear end) and 2. hand numbness after about 5 miles. I have gone through a whole lot of this thread and maybe I missed it a couple folks have had those ergo bar ends but I haven't seen anyone say how they compared to regular bar ends and why they went with them. Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 06-09-20, 12:05 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by takozukuri

WOW, can you shower when you get to work, or is all downhill?I'd arrive soaked! I still prefer the look of, and have 2, no-disk-brake bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.